Is the bus ride scary??!

smyliecruising

I was quite scared on the bus ride into the hills at Jamaica(my dh was fine and everyone else appeared to not mind that we were going at extreme speeds sharing a one lane road with two lanes of traffic with giant drop off's on the side of our bus. It's just my nerves! I seriously should have drank heavily first. ) and it really is important to me to not have to live through that fear again on vacation! The bus ride to Xunantunich Mayan Ruins in Belize is a 2 hour ride. Is this going to be anything like driving in the mountains in Jamaica? I want to book this excursion for next September but I don't want to feel the adventure of a near death experience for two hours lol.

I was quite scared on the bus ride into the hills at Jamaica(my dh was fine and everyone else appeared to not mind that we were going at extreme speeds sharing a one lane road with two lanes of traffic with giant drop off's on the side of our bus. It's just my nerves! I seriously should have drank heavily first. ) and it really is important to me to not have to live through that fear again on vacation! The bus ride to Xunantunich Mayan Ruins in Belize is a 2 hour ride. Is this going to be anything like driving in the mountains in Jamaica? I want to book this excursion for next September but I don't want to feel the adventure of a near death experience for two hours lol.

I don't remember any drop offs or sudden turns on the road to Xanantunich.

I do remember that the ascent up to the top of the tallest structure was without guardrails and some of the steps were uneven and steep. It is well worth the climb, because there are awesome views from the top. Just be careful and wear sensible footwear.

We did this excursion last summer on the Magic.

The bus ride was fine, mostly through the city and open areas. I feel the same way you do and it wasn't anything scary. The guides were really informative so the ride didn't seem that long.

The ruins are amazing! Such a beautiful place.

It was very hot and humid but they have bottled water you can buy for $1 and a little gift shop.

My DH climbed to the top but my DD and I stayed firmly planted on the ground.

evandbob is correct, there are no guard rails on the climb but the views are spectacular, well from what i saw from the pics my DH took.

If the ruins are wet from rain, they won't let anyone climb.

They did have a covered area with picnic type tables for those that didn't want to climb.

Thank you everyone for being so helpful! I am really excited about the ruins. I know my husband will climb it. He is a lineman and not phased by heights but I will probably pass on that! This is our third cruise and we have never been to any of the ruins yet and this looks like an amazing one! Thank you evandbob and tonit964 for the tips!

Edited by smyliecruising

Sorry, I can't comment about those particular ruins as I only went to the Coba ruins in Mexico on my last cruise and they were AMAZING. But anyway, I just wanted to say that we had the exact same experience in Jamaica, so I know what you mean! It was so bumpy that I got a headache. We were on roads that were nothing but cliffs on the side, and the driver wasn't exactly going slow. I hated it!

The drive to Xunantunich is on major roads and highway, nothing scary. BUT you do have to get off the bus and ride a small ferry over a river, then get into vans that drive up a hill. NOTHING like Jamaica, not even close to that scary!

And the ruins are worth the climb, very interesting and view all the way into the next country, Guatamala.

The drive to Xunantunich is on major roads and highway, nothing scary. BUT you do have to get off the bus and ride a small ferry over a river, then get into vans that drive up a hill. NOTHING like Jamaica, not even close to that scary!

And the ruins are worth the climb, very interesting and view all the way into the next country, Guatamala.

Thank you! "NOTHING" is exactly what I want to hear[emoji28]