21 Guest involved in car accident in Falmouth - 1 guest passed away.

mpoole3

Oh my. I have a co-worker on that cruise. I told her in Jamaica if I did an excursion it would be through the ship. Do we know if this was an independent excursion or one through Royal Caribbean?

It could happen to either. There is no magic bubble that protects ship-based excursions from accidents nor is there a magic bubble that protects independent excursions from accidents.

Driving in Jamaica is insane. It really is. No respect for lanes or lights or pedestrians. Plus traffic is horrific. My 6-8 mile commute can take over an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree. I had never seen anything like it and I lived in DC for 3 years. We were getting ready to cross at a cross walk in Ocho Rios and this car doing at least 100 miles per hour came down the road. This was a back road and good thing we weren't crossing or we would have been died. Going through the city was like cars everywhere. People would pull out in front of you and almost hit you. I have been to a lot of islands but nothing compared to what I saw and experienced in Jamaica.

Sad news from the Independence today, Tweeted from Royal Caribbean PR.

"Today 21 guest from Independence of the Seas participating in an excursion were involved in a traffic accident in Falmouth, Jamaica. We are saddened to report that a guest passed away. Three other guest were injured and are being treated at the local hospital. Crew members have gone to the hospital to assist. Join us in keeping them in our thoughts and prayers."

Thoughts and prayers to the families involved.

So sad. From the photo, it looks as though the tour bus was broadsided.

I have the same concern when I travel on the NJ toll roads, especially during commuting hours. Very aggressive drivers cutting in and out of lanes and no considerations in drivers getting cut-off. I'm constantly looking in the mirror and if I see someone in back of me speeding, I basically slow down and let he/she pass, because I sense that I will get cut-off. They drive like nuts.

Ps. Seen just as crazy drivers in Italy during our excursions. The best bus drivers that we have experienced are the ones that traverse the narrow road on the Amalfi Coast.

Actually it probably IS NOT:rolleyes: The fatality rate per resident is higher in the USA than Jamaica:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

I won't worry any more in Jamaica than I will going to work every day in the US. Your comment that "accidents happen hourly" in the DC area pretty much sums thing up.......why would that be safer than Jamaica?

The fatality rate is low because speeds are low. Injuries and pedestrian deaths are common. Driving in Jamaica is absolutely a safety issue. Roads don't have railings or signs, speed limits are ignored, potholes are massive and rarely fixed, public transportation doesn't have seat belts, etc.

Here is a blog article with video that I wrote about it https://ficklomat.wordpress.com/2015/10/30/welcome-to-jamrock-driving-in-jamaica/

The first video is kingston, which has the best roads. The roads on the north coast are more comparable to the Mountain Road in the second video.

Edited by Quackattackaggie

It could happen to either. There is no magic bubble that protects ship-based excursions from accidents nor is there a magic bubble that protects independent excursions from accidents.

Yes, it could happen to either but it seems like you have more recourse financially if it is a RCCL sponsored excursion. Not that you want to sue, but with a local there is not much you can do.

My heartfelt condolences to the families!

Come on people. Here in the United States everyday you see some of the most horrific accidents involving cars, buses, tour buses, trucks etc. and a lot of them happen because of idiots on the road driving just like the ones a lot of you are describing in Jamaica. Also it does not matter if it was a RCI excursion or private excursion, just the same as accidents happen here if you are driving or if someone else is driving. I ride a commuter bus into work everyday and last year there was a really bad accident with fatalities on one of the commuter buses but I didn't stop riding the bus because of that accident. It seems every time something happens on one of the islands, people want to say it's because of the island that the incident took place. In the case of accidents if you are going to stop taking excursion in Jamaica or elsewhere then just stop going anywhere, even out of your house everyday! Come on.... Stop the madness!

Actually it probably IS NOT:rolleyes: The fatality rate per resident is higher in the USA than Jamaica:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

I won't worry any more in Jamaica than I will going to work every day in the US. Your comment that "accidents happen hourly" in the DC area pretty much sums thing up.......why would that be safer than Jamaica?

I responded earlier but I just noticed only the population ratio is low. Most people in Jamaica don't have a car, so that makes sense. But the ratio of cars to deaths is 5x more in Jamaica than the USA. I'm fact, the US State department has an 8 paragraph warning on their Jamaica travel page about the dangerous driving conditions.

I'm not saying don't visit or don't take an excursion. Just know the dangers of driving.

I responded earlier but I just noticed only the population ratio is low. Most people in Jamaica don't have a car, so that makes sense. But the ratio of cars to deaths is 5x more in Jamaica than the USA. I'm fact, the US State department has an 8 paragraph warning on their Jamaica travel page about the dangerous driving conditions.

I'm not saying don't visit or don't take an excursion. Just know the dangers of driving.

And while that chart doesn't show the stat for Jamaica, I guarantee you their deaths per vehicle KM is way higher than in the US. That is the most important stat.

The deceased was a pastor's wife from Minnesota. Her daughter (9) was the injured passenger who was in surgery last night. The little girl was on a special trip with her mama when this happened. She also has 3 younger siblings back at home who stayed with Dad. This appears to have been a ship sponsored excursion and a terrible accident. Accidents happen everywhere, but to happen so far from home is especially tragic :(

I read about an hour ago that Dad was on his way to Jamaica to be with the little girl. Just tragic :(

The deceased was a pastor's wife from Minnesota. Her daughter (9) was the injured passenger who was in surgery last night. The little girl was on a special trip with her mama when this happened. She also has 3 younger siblings back at home who stayed with Dad. This appears to have been a ship sponsored excursion and a terrible accident. Accidents happen everywhere, but to happen so far from home is especially tragic :(

I read about an hour ago that Dad was on his way to Jamaica to be with the little girl. Just tragic :(

This is just heart wrenching, my prayers to this family. That poor little girl must be scared beyond words. Wish I was there to give her a hug and not let go.

This whole situation breaks my heart. Driving in Jamaica is awful, always has been. When went on IOS, in November, I deliberately took an excursion that wasn't too far from the ship. I also deliberately took a ship's excursion because of the risk of missing the ship. Accidents are very prevalent when traveling this island. Our tour driver was amazing, the others drivers not so much. When we got back, a group who had gone to Ocho Rios was saying how their bus driver had avoided rolling their van when another car almost hit them. Yes, I understand we have bad drivers here in the US, but factor in rescue response times and treating hospitals can make all the difference in the world (being an ex-trauma nurse). That's is what scares me the most. Jamaica lacks in this area as well. We decided to visit Jamaica this trip, having avoided doing so the past few years. Won't do it again, even though the people were wonderful and our excursion was great. Don't want even that short drive again. My prayers to the family.

My heartfelt condolences to the families!

Come on people. Here in the United States everyday you see some of the most horrific accidents involving cars, buses, tour buses, trucks etc. and a lot of them happen because of idiots on the road driving just like the ones a lot of you are describing in Jamaica. Also it does not matter if it was a RCI excursion or private excursion, just the same as accidents happen here if you are driving or if someone else is driving. I ride a commuter bus into work everyday and last year there was a really bad accident with fatalities on one of the commuter buses but I didn't stop riding the bus because of that accident. It seems every time something happens on one of the islands, people want to say it's because of the island that the incident took place. In the case of accidents if you are going to stop taking excursion in Jamaica or elsewhere then just stop going anywhere, even out of your house everyday! Come on.... Stop the madness!

Like!