CD Rick Barnes is retiring

Mtn2Sea

At tonight's final show on the Zuiderdam's Panama Canal Cruise, which ends tomorrow, cruise director Rick Barnes announced he is retiring at the end of this cruise. IMO, he's done an excellent job and I'll certainly miss him. He attended our Meet & Greet last week and gave us lots of information.

At tonight's final show on the Zuiderdam's Panama Canal Cruise, which ends tomorrow, cruise director Rick Barnes announced he is retiring at the end of this cruise. IMO, he's done an excellent job and I'll certainly miss him. He attended our Meet & Greet last week and gave us lots of information.

While I am happy for Rick, I am sad for the rest of us.

He is a fabulous CD and makes the cruise such a joy.

I hope he has a wonderful retirement. He deserves it!

I tried asking for the identities of the CD and Show Host for my upcoming Feb. 15 Zuiderdam cruise on HAL's Facebook page. I was given the name of the Show Host ("hostess" in this case), but they didn't have the name of the CD. Hopefully there will be one!

So very sad to see Rick retiring. He was awesome as our cruise director this past December. I do recall he mentioned something about a possible Today show appearance to promote an upcoming book so we may not see the last of him yet.

We had the pleasure of Rick as our CD on two cruises. The last one was on the Oosterdam for 36 days from Auckland to Vancouver in Apr/May 2015.

He is the best CD we have met and will truly miss his talents. My DW was talking with him on the last cruise and he had mentioned he planned to spend more time with his father after he retired.

Best of luck Rick! :)

I am curious if HAL has a webpage where you can " meet the cruise directors", and see their biographies and pictures? Sometimes I forget a name, but would recognize their face.

I know they want to keep their options open, as far as who goes where, but it would be fun to read where they are from, and how they came to be CD's.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the privilege of cruising with Rick on a South Pacific cruise a year ago. We have booked another for next year and were hoping Rick would be back, but I guess not.

Rick, if you are reading any of this, Thanks for everything. You were the best CD we ever had!