San Francisco Pier change due to Super Bowl Activities

kwahl1

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Please be advised that due to Super Bowl events, your Grand Princess cruise will now disembark at Pier 35 in San Francisco, rather than Pier 27 as previously communicated. Both Pier 35 and Pier 27 are located on The Embarcadero, and are less than a quarter-mile apart.

If you are being picked up at the pier after your cruise, please be sure your independent travel arrangements are from Pier 35.

Additionally, please be advised that you may experience travel delays on disembarkation day due to road closures and congestion from Super Bowl events in the area. We recommend you allow yourself extra travel time to reach your destination.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Grand Princess

Edited by kwahl1

Princess explanation is no explanation. I have no idea what so ever as to why they are going to pier 35 instead of pier 27 at all. Perhaps private boats are using pier 27. You know money talks. However the stadium where the super bowl is being played is pretty far away from San Francisco. Just wish Princess would elaborate a bit more. Do expect large crowds in SF at that time though. That part I understand.

When we cruised in to San Fran last fall there was this HUGE convention on. They had a HAL ship docked at pier 27 for several days and were using it as a hotel. I would suspect this may be the same situation here. Pier 35 was horrible and they made everyone walk off their own luggage and did immigration on the ship which was all just a big gong show.

Princess explanation is no explanation. I have no idea what so ever as to why they are going to pier 35 instead of pier 27 at all. Perhaps private boats are using pier 27. You know money talks. However the stadium where the super bowl is being played is pretty far away from San Francisco. Just wish Princess would elaborate a bit more. Do expect large crowds in SF at that time though. That part I understand.

All of the pre Super Bowl events are occurring in San Francisco, including a large "Super Bowl City" on the embarcadero. But do take note of their warning re: traffic. It's going to be a huge cluster fudge!

I saw this in the news a few days back. I immediately thought of those who would be cruising into and out of SF that week. I did check the Roll Calls and they do seem to know about it already. It does seem that the "monied" will be using Pier 27 for their yachts. Flights into SFO could also have delays if El Nino storms continue. It could be challenging...or not. A good attitude will help.

My husband's office is right in the midst of all this so is planning on working from home.

We have also heard rumors that BART will not be stopping at the Embarcadero station. We will be boarding on 2/3. We have been aware of the street closures for some time now. If BART does not stop at Embarcadero, we will go on the to the Montgomery station. A bit longer of a walk. It should be interesting to say the Least!

Cheers, Denise

I saw this in the news a few days back. I immediately thought of those who would be cruising into and out of SF that week. I did check the Roll Calls and they do seem to know about it already. It does seem that the "monied" will be using Pier 27 for their yachts. Flights into SFO could also have delays if El Nino storms continue. It could be challenging...or not. A good attitude will help.

My husband's office is right in the midst of all this so is planning on working from home.

Me too! I work in the Embarcadero Center - but I'll be on a cruise that week!!

We have also heard rumors that BART will not be stopping at the Embarcadero station. We will be boarding on 2/3. We have been aware of the street closures for some time now. If BART does not stop at Embarcadero, we will go on the to the Montgomery station. A bit longer of a walk. It should be interesting to say the Least!

Cheers, Denise

THey're only closing the forward most exit/entrances - the station will be open, you'll just have to exit a different way than directly up front.

Be warned that the F - Market that usually runs down the embarcadero won't be running on Market street at all, and only along the embarcadero (and will likely be quite busy).

Also most of the downtown streets will be shut down, so cabs/Lyfts/Ubers will be scarce

Me too! I work in the Embarcadero Center - but I'll be on a cruise that week!!

HA - I work at the EC too (#1) and happily not at 4 EC right there next to "SuperBowl City." Otherwise I'm not looking forward to coming in on the BART during the Feb 1-5 workweek.... Have fun on your cruise (smart guy)!

THey're only closing the forward most exit/entrances - the station will be open, you'll just have to exit a different way than directly up front.

Be warned that the F - Market that usually runs down the embarcadero won't be running on Market street at all, and only along the embarcadero (and will likely be quite busy).

Also most of the downtown streets will be shut down, so cabs/Lyfts/Ubers will be scarce

Thanks, Ken. We will walk from BART to the ship. Something we really enjoy doing. We mosey and take in the sights as if we have never seen the City before.

Cheers, Denise

BART Embarcadero Station will be closed at Spear Street. For those familiar with the area, this is the east side of the station at the Hyatt Regency hotel and Embarcadero Four Center between 1/30 and 2/6. The rest of the station will be open.

CAUTION! ALL parking lots in downtown will be sold out if not already. Taxis will be nearly impossible. There will be long delays between SFO and San Francisco city proper. The airport is located between San Francisco county and Santa Clara county (where Super Bowl 50 will be played in San Mateo county. Traffic at times will be at a standstill on both Highway 101 (directly from the airport) and Highway 280 in the hills West of the airport. Both highways go between San Francisco and San José. Both directions will be clogged.:eek:

RECOMMENDATION! Take BART from SFO or OAK to Montgomery Street station ($8.95 each way from SFO, $10.20 each way from OAK). Catch the San Francisco Muni bus #8 just west of Montgomery Street at Kearney and Geary Streets ($2.25 each way), go north to the end of the line. Guess what's across the Embarcadero from that bus's terminal? Pier 35.:D

This way you avoid all the madness. Please arrive early for just about everything. Both transit and traffic are not reliable. For any detours , check before you leave on 511.org under both traffic and transit.;):p

BART Embarcadero Station will be closed at Spear Street. For those familiar with the area, this is the east side of the station at the Hyatt Regency hotel and Embarcadero Four Center between 1/30 and 2/6. The rest of the station will be open.

CAUTION! ALL parking lots in downtown will be sold out if not already. Taxis will be nearly impossible. There will be long delays between SFO and San Francisco city proper. The airport is located between San Francisco county and Santa Clara county (where Super Bowl 50 will be played in San Mateo county. Traffic at times will be at a standstill on both Highway 101 (directly from the airport) and Highway 280 in the hills West of the airport. Both highways go between San Francisco and San José. Both directions will be clogged.:eek:

RECOMMENDATION! Take BART from SFO or OAK to Montgomery Street station ($8.95 each way from SFO, $10.20 each way from OAK). Catch the San Francisco Muni bus #8 just west of Montgomery Street at Kearney and Geary Streets ($2.25 each way), go north to the end of the line. Guess what's across the Embarcadero from that bus's terminal? Pier 35.:D

This way you avoid all the madness. Please arrive early for just about everything. Both transit and traffic are not reliable. For any detours , check before you leave on 511.org under both traffic and transit.;):p

Thanks for the detailed info and recommendations. I think it might be a bit difficult boarding the Muni buses with luggage. Pack light is the word of the day!!

This is going to be one heck of an adventure. I'm glad we are boarding the ship rather than disembarking. :eek:

Cheers, Denise

When we cruised in to San Fran last fall there was this HUGE convention on. They had a HAL ship docked at pier 27 for several days and were using it as a hotel. I would suspect this may be the same situation here. Pier 35 was horrible and they made everyone walk off their own luggage and did immigration on the ship which was all just a big gong show.

BTW -- the ship was the Celebrity Infinity -- we had just disembarked before they turned it into a floating hotel. While they are not doing this again, it is a huge 'SuperBowl City' event they are setting up on the Embarcadero in that very area.

Our friends were on the Princess ship that sailed in a few days after we disembarked and were forced to use Pier 35. They are experienced travelers so never heard them complain but knew it was a nightmare disembarkation for them and others on that sailing.

Everyone is right, the is going to be quite a party on the Embarcadero. I almost forgot about it when they were offering a move over on my December cruise. Then...it all came back to me ... no way would I go down there dragging my luggage. Otherwise, might be a fun thing to do .... however, our weather may not make it so desirable. Been kind of rainy lately -- and we are oh so happy about that here in the land of short showers.