Children boarding policy warning ( different surnames )

soloadventurer

Only found this out during checkin :eek:

My partners children have there fathers surname - it is the policy of NCL to either have a consent form from the other parent or birth certificates ?

We only found this out at the checkin desk and had to get birth certificates emailed to NCL at the port or they would have denied boarding.

Just a word of warning to others

Here's a question. What if the other parent is non-existent in the child's life? Meaning zero contact (and they have their last name)?

How does that work for people?

No matter what, it is always best to have full proper documentation. Just get a copy of the BC and have it with you. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. NCL's DOCUMENTATION PAGE has all the details. If something on the page seems contradictory, then it would be best to go with whatever the higher level of documentation is IMHO.

Only found this out during checkin :eek:

My partners children have there fathers surname - it is the policy of NCL to either have a consent form from the other parent or birth certificates ?

We only found this out at the checkin desk and had to get birth certificates emailed to NCL at the port or they would have denied boarding.

Just a word of warning to others

Thanks for the reminder but there is nothing new about this.

Luckily, when we took my husbands 1st daughter on a cruise (ecstasy), we knew this.m her Mom had been MIA for 7 years. But we tracked her down and drove her to the post office (needed a passport) AND got a permission letter notarized.

Hoping things aren't noticed or are ignored is very risky.

If a single parent (with a missing non custodial parent) has a court order that they are the sole custodian of the child, then they can get a passport for the child.

I'm taking my daughter on a cruise next month without my husband, and I am taking a notarized "Consent to Travel" that I found on the passport site that we both signed. She has a passport, but is also adopted from China (so bears no resemblance to me). Our TA suggested we also bring her birth certificate and citizenship papers.

ive been divorced from my ex husband for 7 years and been on DCL with my new husband and my 3 children. I didnt have any problems at all, didnt have any letter with his approvel of it. We live in Denmark , but if i need one here i will get it ??

NCL's website says - for most itineraries - that a consent is only needed if the minor is not traveling with one of their parents. So based on their website, if I'm taking a Caribbean cruise from Miami and traveling alone with my dd, I should not need a consent from the other parent. That said, I can understand them asking for proof of relationship (such as a birth certificate) when there are different surnames (as is the case with me and my dd). Only once have we been questioned on an NCL cruise, and they basically just asked me our relationship, and I responded that I was her mother. I offered up the birth certificate, but they didn't bother to check it.

I always carry a copy of my custody order when we travel because it lists me as the sole custodial parent (although ex-dh has parental access rights). It's easier than asking him to cooperate with providing the consent. I've never been asked for it, but I always have it in hand just in case.

When I traveled to Alaska on another line, I was required to get a consent form completed, but my understanding was that it was because there was a port stop in Canada. I believe NCL also requires the consent for itineraries with a Canada stop.

NCL's website says - for most itineraries - that a consent is only needed if the minor is not traveling with one of their parents. So based on their website, if I'm taking a Caribbean cruise from Miami and traveling alone with my dd, I should not need a consent from the other parent. That said, I can understand them asking for proof of relationship (such as a birth certificate) when there are different surnames (as is the case with me and my dd). Only once have we been questioned on an NCL cruise, and they basically just asked me our relationship, and I responded that I was her mother. I offered up the birth certificate, but they didn't bother to check it.

I always carry a copy of my custody order when we travel because it lists me as the sole custodial parent (although ex-dh has parental access rights). It's easier than asking him to cooperate with providing the consent. I've never been asked for it, but I always have it in hand just in case.

When I traveled to Alaska on another line, I was required to get a consent form completed, but my understanding was that it was because there was a port stop in Canada. I believe NCL also requires the consent for itineraries with a Canada stop.

That's a requirement of the Canadian government. When I took DD on an Alaska cruise without her father (we were in the process of a divorce) she was 16 so I didn't have to have one. But under 16--at least at that time--they require it. The Mexican government also requires permission from the non-travelling parent, but I wasn't asked for the letter when we visited there. Typically this is related to International Child Abduction Laws.

Here's a question. What if the other parent is non-existent in the child's life? Meaning zero contact (and they have their last name)?

How does that work for people?

Someone in that situation should definitely speak to a lawyer ASAP. We have no contact with my daughter's biological father, but I have documented the situation very carefully. I always bring her birth certificate (which lists me as her only parent) with me when we travel internationally, in addition to her passports and state-issued IDs.

The Mexican government also requires permission from the non-travelling parent, but I wasn't asked for the letter when we visited there. Typically this is related to International Child Abduction Laws.

Interesting since my next cruise has 2 port stops in Mexico. :eek: NCL doesn't mention it on their website listing of travel documentation - only the Canada requirement.

Interesting since my next cruise has 2 port stops in Mexico. :eek: NCL doesn't mention it on their website listing of travel documentation - only the Canada requirement.

Well, this was five years ago, so it may have changed, but I wouldn't rely on NCL for that information! You have your custody order and I think that would suffice, but I'm no expert! I've always been a "better safe than sorry" kind of traveler so make sure I have the proper documentation.

I've found cruise line customer service to be remarkably unreliable on topics like this. Not NCL, but when I called about what I needed for the Alaska cruise, the CS rep told me I needed a passport to fly from Portland, Oregon to Anchorage, Alaska. I pointed out that Alaska is part of the U.S. so I didn't need a passport and she said that only "counts" for the the lower 48. LOL.

This might prove a bit tricky if they are dead.

Regards John

Well then if those children are minors they have a legal guardian...or the other parent...who has not only the kids BC...but the deceased parents death certificate....so not tricky at all

Edited by luvtheships

This might prove a bit tricky if they are dead.

Regards John

If both parents were dead, they would have legal guardians that would bring documentation of such, and if only one parent were deceased then you would carry a death certificate. It's not the US that needs this, it's certain countries. Better safe then sorry.....