Select vs Saver fares?

postcardswansea

Hoping for some advice please :)

We're looking at maybe doing a 7 night Med cruise on Oceana in April, and can currently choose a Select or Saver fare. The price of the Select is £150 more than the Saver, but includes £150 on board spend (I think that's what it says, but I'm not 100% convinced I've got that right!). Reading about the likely cost of excursions / shuttles, etc. it seems likely we would have no trouble spending the £150 on board, making the choice of fare a no-brainer because of the additional benefits of the Saver ... or am I being too simplistic?! :p

Also - once the Saver fare disappears next month, what is the likelihood of a different / better offer appearing if there are still plenty of spaces left on the ship (I know it's currently less than half full)?

Hoping for some advice please :)

We're looking at maybe doing a 7 night Med cruise on Oceana in April, and can currently choose a Select or Saver fare. The price of the Select is £150 more than the Saver, but includes £150 on board spend (I think that's what it says, but I'm not 100% convinced I've got that right!). Reading about the likely cost of excursions / shuttles, etc. it seems likely we would have no trouble spending the £150 on board, making the choice of fare a no-brainer because of the additional benefits of the Saver ... or am I being too simplistic?! :p

Also - once the Saver fare disappears next month, what is the likelihood of a different / better offer appearing if there are still plenty of spaces left on the ship (I know it's currently less than half full)?

I am someone who would always pick select over any other fare.

As you are saying the 2 fares are showing I would take it its select and early saver.

I have never felt early saver fares are worth it. You do not get the choices as you do with select, and there is not much difference in price.

Nearer to sale date you will get saver fares come out. They will be a lot cheaper (normally), but you get no choice of cabin beside type..is inside..outside etc.

Or dining.

How do you know the ship is currently less than half full?

There have been some superb late bargains in April however not around the Easter holiday period when children are off school. However with an early Easter this year our local schools take the two Bank Holidays and are back for two weeks before taking a 2 week break

Thanks for the replies :)

How do you know the ship is currently less than half full?

I spoke to P&O last night to ask a few questions about regional flights, etc. (before I discovered this forum!) and was told I didn't need to worry about rushing into a booking decision if I didn't feel ready, as there is still more than 50% capacity available.

There have been some superb late bargains in April however not around the Easter holiday period ...

I think the schools would have gone back after Easter for the dates we're looking at, and it would be before the May Bank Holidays.

The price of this cruise has already dropped since we started looking at a few options a couple of weeks ago, so we're quite tempted to strike now, but we don't have enough experience to know what's a 'good price' for the type of cruise we're looking at. I know we should go with the 'book if you're happy with the price' view, but I'm a bargain-hunter by nature!

If only we had a price-gazing crystal ball ;)

If the cruise is really only 50% booked, I would hang on for a while. The price is almost certain to drop. The optimum time to book is 6-8 weeks before departure (but not always!)

In the meantime check the price weekly on the P&O website.

Brian

If the cruise is really only 50% booked, I would hang on for a while. The price is almost certain to drop. The optimum time to book is 6-8 weeks before departure (but not always!)

In the meantime check the price weekly on the P&O website.

Brian

I like the sound of this plan! The end of the extra on board spending money promotion is around the 6-8 week mark, so I think we'll take our chances and hang on (crossing fingers) with a 'que sera, sera' view :cool:

I would just keep a watch on it as fares could go up.Have just had a quick peep at the cruises for that month and they are showing "saver" fares, not early saver, and there is a difference. You will only be able to select a "type" rather than a"grade" of cabin on a saver fare and you will have to pay 100% when you book. As long as you are happy to be anywhere on the ship that is great as you will take pot luck!

Let us know how you get on?

I always work out what the cost is per person per night. Others may disagree but for me a pretty good price is £70 inside, £100 balcony, £200 suite. I have paid a lot more if it's a cruise I really want and I've paid lots less, I think the least I have ever paid is £45 for an outside - but I had no choices and it was last minute. There may be other offers come along, I particularly like the balcony for the price of an inside offer. It's just a matter of securing your holiday now with select or wait and take the risk to hopefully get it cheaper - no easy answers.

Thanks for this - a very helpful rule of thumb

I have to say that in my opinion last year there seemed to be a trend where the prices didn't drop as expected at the last minute - so you can never tell. I think that P&O have got much better at dishing out upgrades too and my friends got a far higher grade of cabin than they booked on a saver deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite my best intentions of holding on for a while, an offer came up with a deadline, and I took the bait and booked it! :cool:

We're pleased with the price we paid, and can now start looking forward to our definite holiday plans, instead of going round in circles wondering 'if' ;)

Despite my best intentions of holding on for a while, an offer came up with a deadline, and I took the bait and booked it! :cool:

We're pleased with the price we paid, and can now start looking forward to our definite holiday plans, instead of going round in circles wondering 'if' ;)

Well done - now sit back and enjoy looking forward to it and don't think any further about prices lol.:)

I have just done that on B630. If you are going to use the OBC its a no-brainer really, to the extent whether I wonder if P&O have really thought it through.

Nobody really knows how the pricing system works. The only plausible thing I have heard is there is a sales rush maybe when the deposits are due in, selling off cabins from those who don't pay the balance off. But the thing is don't worry about it.

If you don't mind the risk of not going, aren't to worried about dining and so on and have the life that means you can go at short notice, then its worth looking for deals, if you don't mind the risk of getting nowt, otherwise don't worry. (I once got offered a 7nt Thomson cruise for £250pp, going tomorrow .... couldn't do it, but may well have done if possible)

but we don't have enough experience to know what's a 'good price' for the type of cruise we're looking at.

Nor does anyone else. There are sometimes cheap late deals is about as far as people know :)

It sounds a bit trite, but the 'good price' is that which you are happy to pay for what you get. Murphy's law says you always come across someone who paid a fair bit less than you ; if you worry about it you will drive yourself mad.

Nobody knows how to get free upgrades either :)