New wifi plans on Breeze how are the speeds?

cruisinqt

I always give my kids an allowance to spend on our cruise. It is up to them how to spend it. When they were really young it was spent on candy or the arcade. As they got older it was spent on shopping or the spa. But now that the wifi plans are so much more affordable they want to spend their money on that. But is it worth it? Has anyone used it with the new plans?

They have 3 plans. The basic for $5 per day. The value plan for $16 per day. And the premium plan for $25. Is there that much of a difference between speeds between the value and the premium plans? They will probably just use it on sea days but I'd like to research this so I can make an informed decision. Has anyone used the new plans on the Breeze? Any info will be much appreciated. 😊

We were on the Sunshine and I assume the Breeze may be the same way. I had heard the $5 a day and was prepared to pay that. But once onboard if you bought for the whole cruise it was cheaper. So on a 5 day cruise it was only $18. I believe the medium tier was $40 and the premium tier was $70 for the 5 day cruise.

I was pleasantly surprised when it worked out less than $5 a day!

We were on the Sunshine and I assume the Breeze may be the same way. I had heard the $5 a day and was prepared to pay that. But once onboard if you bought for the whole cruise it was cheaper. So on a 5 day cruise it was only $18. I believe the medium tier was $40 and the premium tier was $70 for the 5 day cruise.

I was pleasantly surprised when it worked out less than $5 a day!

Wow those are great prices! Our cruise is 8 days so it will be more but it's still a huge improvement over what it used to be.

We are also looking forward to the fun hub app where we can chat with each other, see deck plans, check out the daily activities, and be reminded of events we're going to. I'm really liking some of the improvements Carnival is making in this area.

The speeds are good on any of the ships with the upgraded internet/hardware. You'll get some lag if the ship is full of kids using the service and the wifi signal will vary depending on the area of the ship you are in. But overall its a big improvement over the old hardware they used to have.
On my recent Princess trip.... I got 2Mbps around midnight and first thing in the morning. During peak hours, I only got 0.2 Mbps or slower.

Thus... if you find the internet speeds slow... try again before going to bed or before breakfast.

We were on the Sunshine in October for an 8 day and it was only $25 for the cruise for the basic plan and it suited our needs. Granted kids might want a bit more access via the other plans but they all seem to be worth it. The speeds were fast enough for us.

I can deal with those speeds and those prices. 😊 I'm so glad they've improved their internet options. I won't have to hear my kids whine about not having internet, though I will be limiting their usage. And both of parents are in their 80's with not too great health so it will be nice to be able to check in on them.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed back in Nov and the internet was good. I had the premium for work reasons and the lag was minimal given I was out at sea. Other members has the social media package and it was just as zippy. Wait until you get on the ship and purchase the unlimited package. (Cheaper)

The chat app it totally worth while also. We had 32 people and were able to keep in touch the entire trip. Sometimes the chat app would freeze up but overall well worth it. Was able to keep up with the kids without tracking them down.

Edited by lcookie

• 3 weeks later...

Is your laptop a slim and portable Ultrabook? Mine is a heavy gamer rig that can power through videos and photo selection.

In general, it's convenient to use ship's computers. However they can be busy at peak times and may not be as secure as your personal laptop. My personal laptop means I also have a machine in my hotel stops. I can also use it late at night in my private room.