Note to those with UBP

weltek

[quote name='macandlucy']It's confusing! On a promo or purchased drinks package now you do tip 18%, which is a decent tip, especially for a beer from the bar, but some people are saying the servers and bartenders don't actually get that tip. So are they getting tipped or not?

I was under the impression (assumption) that the 18% sc was their tip, but it is not clear whether it is or not.[/QUOTE]

It's a minefield. Some people got the18% included. Others need to pay it. The cash is reportedly paid as a tip to the staff.

[quote name='ColinIllinois']Many of the cruisers are supporting their families in first world countries going from paycheck to paycheck and have saved for many years to go on a cruise. Whether they tip the minimal or tip generously it's none of your business or anyone else's.

As a "single parent who raised three children" that would seem to be an obvious point for you.[/QUOTE]

Winner winner chicken dinner :D

[quote name='cruzsnooze']Tipping in the USA is 15% standard and more if desired so NCL is getting 3% extra before service is even rendered.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2013/05/16/your-ultimate-tipping-guide[/url]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='ColinIllinois']Many of the cruisers are supporting their families in first world countries going from paycheck to paycheck and have saved for many years to go on a cruise. Whether they tip the minimal or tip generously it's none of your business or anyone else's.

As a "single parent who raised three children" that would seem to be an obvious point for you.[/QUOTE]

Yes obvious that if I saved from paycheck to paycheck for years to take my children on holiday I would have saved enough to compensate the staff

Other servers and bartenders are always the most generous tipping as they know what it is like. Some of the worst tippers attorneys and woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by murfette

[quote name='murfette']Not trying to start an argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Wow --- Calling someone cheap is not trying to start an argument, it IS STARTING AN ARGUMENT.

When you resort to name calling and personal insults, you have run out of viable comments related to the subject.

[quote name='NCLfamily']Really? So if someone saves their cash to pay for a holiday and when they get there the drinks are expensive, plus There's an automatic 18% gratuity and they should pay more on top?

What if on my ten day cruise my wife and I between us have 150 drinks. Have I to pay $150 extra?[/QUOTE]There is no need to tip extra and it is not expected by the crew. The crew signs a contract and gets paid that contract rate, be it from the DSC, 18% gratuity or NCL's till and how and what they get paid is between the crew and the cruise line.

I also agree with cruzsnooze, any crew member that discusses their compensation with any passenger should be dismissed. I've only worked for 3 companies in my entire life and they all had the policy that you don't discuss your compensation with another employee, a customer, etc. and if you do, you are fired.

[quote name='swedish weave']Wow --- Calling someone cheap is not trying to start an argument, it IS STARTING AN ARGUMENT.

When you resort to name calling and personal insults, you have run out of viable comments related to the subject.[/QUOTE]

If the shoe fits.

Again these people that are serving you are supporting families. Have empathy people we have more then most people in other countries ever will.

I am done I said what I had to say. Some people will never get it and frankly the older I get the more I dislike the human race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='NLH Arizona']There is no need to tip extra and it is not expected by the crew. The crew signs a contract and gets paid that contract rate, be it from the DSC, 18% gratuity or NCL's till and how and what they get paid is between the crew and the cruise line.

I also agree with cruzsnooze, any crew member that discusses their compensation with any passenger should be dismissed. I've only worked for 3 companies in my entire life and they all had the policy that you don't discuss your compensation with another employee, a customer, etc. and if you do, you are fired.[/QUOTE]

The company I worked for many years did not find it necessary to hide the compensation employees received. The job rates were posted in every office and could be accessed by all employees.

I willingly assisted employees who asked me for personal and financial help and advice as I have also done with cruise line crew members.

I do not feel it is appropriate to control employees with fear.

Why do companies need to hide this information ?????? Edited by swedish weave

Remember. You are not paying 18% gratuity on each drink you have. You are paying 18% per day on the NCL calculated "value" of the unlimited drink package. Somewhere around 70 or 80 bucks times 18%. If you only had two drinks one day, you are paying a fortune for those 2.

Now, does it make sense to add more tip for the servers???
Only if you want a bunch of drinks at fast service.

Seems to me this is the typical NCL nickel and diming going on...at the expense of the staff.

[quote name='wbehlert@comcast.net']Remember. You are not paying 18% gratuity on each drink you have. You are paying 18% per day on the NCL calculated "value" of the unlimited drink package. Somewhere around 70 or 80 bucks times 18%. If you only had two drinks one day, you are paying a fortune for those 2.

Now, does it make sense to add more tip for the servers???
Only if you want a bunch of drinks at fast service.

Seems to me this is the typical NCL nickel and diming going on...at the expense of the staff.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, there is no need to tip any more, you have satisfied your obligation. NCL on the other hand, has lowered the amount their staff get, so if I want the server that takes care of me to get a little thank you, I will give it.

I just decided that if I am already paying NCL $1,350 for my cruise which already includes close to $200 in service fees, then it is not my concern for the 7 days how the receipts are allocated.

That being said, I have nothing against giving extra but I almost think that it is NCL trying to get us bickering amongst ourselves.

20 Years ago when drink plans didn't exist, this argument wouldn't be occurring.

So If Jack Del Rio is screwing his employees and already nickel and diming us then why is that our problem?

It is for one simple reason- we are compassionate and realize how hard the staff works as we all work hard to go on a cruise in the first place.

[quote name='weltek']A bartender I trust to be honest is reporting tips are pretty much in half since slips/signatures for UBP drinks are no longer being given. I asked because it's what I suspected. So if you used to be inclined to tip an extra $1 with a drink when service was superb, make note of that and throw some cash in your pockets. If you dont give a flying fish about tipping them any more than the mandatory service charge, you can ignore this post and move on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Just picked up a stack of $1's today for our cruise Saturday. Cheers!

When I took a cruise on the UBP in November, I watched how they collected the tickets and extra cash tips. When it was the end of the night and the bartenders were cleaning up, I asked about how the UBP made a difference in their tips, given that they were slammed all night and never had a break. They said they worked twice as hard, but got paid less because all the tips on signed receipts using the UBP went into a tip pool across all bartenders on the ship. Cash tips were split up between the bartenders at the bar they were working that night.

[quote name='shellpj']When I took a cruise on the UBP in November, I watched how they collected the tickets and extra cash tips. When it was the end of the night and the bartenders were cleaning up, I asked about how the UBP made a difference in their tips, given that they were slammed all night and never had a break. They said they worked twice as hard, but got paid less because all the tips on signed receipts using the UBP went into a tip pool across all bartenders on the ship. Cash tips were split up between the bartenders at the bar they were working that night.[/quote]

That is one person's opinion and should they really be discussing it with passengers? Please note I am not disagreeing with you.

Also the $83 that will go into the pool from me is more than what went in the previous 4 cruise combined, so they have to consider that as well.

I work at a job where I do extra all the time and don't get tips- it's part of my job.