Extension cord question

beachbum53

Ok, after searching all the listings at "my" UFO that I want, I'm only finding the "surge protection" OR the "overload protection" listed. So either I didn't find one previously or it's no longer on there??

So....can anyone confirm whether or not the "overload protection" means surge protection or not? :confused:

"Overload protection" is a circuit breaker, it protects against too much current. Surge protection protects against too much voltage.

I have the blue one. I brought it on vacation to Orlando last week and it was great to be able to charge 2 phones, 2 iPads, and a kindle fire all at one time. On my last cruise I brought a standard power strip and the different size power supplies drove me crazy. It's so much easier just plugging in the USB cable. Can't wait to take it on The Pride next month.

I have the blue one. I brought it on vacation to Orlando last week and it was great to be able to charge 2 phones, 2 iPads, and a kindle fire all at one time. On my last cruise I brought a standard power strip and the different size power supplies drove me crazy. It's so much easier just plugging in the USB cable. Can't wait to take it on The Pride next month.

Thanks again. I may just have to get one!

So are they allowed?

I would like to know that too! I'm trying to order a new one, since it seems I now can't bring the handy little Belkin I've always cruised with, and the one I'd like says it has "over current and over temperature protection" -- but nothing about surge protection. Anyone know if that's ok?

I would like to know that too! I'm trying to order a new one, since it seems I now can't bring the handy little Belkin I've always cruised with, and the one I'd like says it has "over current and over temperature protection" -- but nothing about surge protection. Anyone know if that's ok?

Can you give a link? Neither overcurrent nor over temperature would be disallowed, but I'm a bit surprised that a non-surge suppressor would have an over temperature circuit (thermal break), which is a safety feature of a surge suppressor. If the description mentions anything like "X joules of protection" or "X clamping voltage" then it is a surge suppressor.

I'm not trying to advocate anything, but I have been giving some thought to the ruling "No surge protectors allowed." First, I don't know how common it is to have a power surge (or how much of a surge) on a cruise ship. Second, since most of us use our power strips to recharge our portable electronic devices, how do we protect those items from being damaged should a power surge occur? I suppose the odds of a power surge occurring and causing damage to whatever is plugged in is about the same as a fire being caused by using a surge protector. Maybe a solution would be for cruise ships to have a small charging station in each cabin (similar to those in airports), with 3 or 4 USB ports to plug into. In the meantime, I think I'll get a new power strip. It's as good of an excuse as any to go browsing at Home Depot and Lowes.:D

I'm not trying to advocate anything, but I have been giving some thought to the ruling "No surge protectors allowed." First, I don't know how common it is to have a power surge (or how much of a surge) on a cruise ship. Second, since most of us use our power strips to recharge our portable electronic devices, how do we protect those items from being damaged should a power surge occur? I suppose the odds of a power surge occurring and causing damage to whatever is plugged in is about the same as a fire being caused by using a surge protector. Maybe a solution would be for cruise ships to have a small charging station in each cabin (similar to those in airports), with 3 or 4 USB ports to plug into. In the meantime, I think I'll get a new power strip. It's as good of an excuse as any to go browsing at Home Depot and Lowes.:D

A power surge due to high generated voltage is almost non-existent on a ship. The voltage regulators on the generators are solid state, so react almost instantaneously to load changes. The governors on the engines, however, are mechanical, and drive a mechanical engine, so the electrical system can frequently draw too much power for the engine to react to instantaneously. This will cause the flickering of lights you may see when they are maneuvering into/out of port, but this is caused by a change in frequency not voltage.

The reason surge protectors don't work properly onboard, which is described in the two links I posted (dry, I know), is that the ground on a ship is not like a ground on shore. In US residential wiring, there is a "hot", a "neutral" and a "ground". The neutral and the ground are joined at your breaker box, and are at "ground" potential, meaning any leakage current flows to the earth, rather to you.

On a ship, there are two "hot" conductors and a "ground". Neither hot conductor is at the same voltage as the ground. The traditional path to ground (a rod pushed into the earth) at your house would be through the ship's hull to the sea. However, when you put current flowing in steel in salt water, you start corrosion of the steel. Not a good thing for a ship's hull. So, onboard, the ground wire is not connected to the ship's hull, it runs all the way back to the generators, to the neutral point in the generator windings. This still provides shock protection that a ground needs to do, but it isolates the entire electrical system from the ship's hull.

The second form of voltage surges are caused by lightning. The lightning will hit the ship's steel hull, which is a great conductor, and lead it to the sea and "ground". Since the ship's electrical system is not grounded to the hull, it is not affected in any way from a lightning strike. This is just like an airplane that gets hit by lightning, it does not damage the electrical system.

I have been on several ships hit by lightning, and none of the electronics like computers, etc., that actually run the ship, and that have no surge suppression protection have ever been damaged. We have experienced damage to radio equipment and the like, because the lightning strikes at or near the antennna, and the current flows down to the radio. So, unless you are stringing an antenna to your electronics, and putting it at the top of the ship, your electronics will not be affected.

Sorry for the long reply, but very few people understand marine electricity.

Yes, the less expensive multi-port outlet, really, the better. And there are multi-port USB chargers out there, it just takes some searching for them.

Please give some time to read CaveDiving's post about surge suppressors, which will explain why even if the ship installed surge suppressors, they would not be recommended, without expensive safety features that are not on consumer surge suppressors, and that would need to be renewed on a regular basis. Even your surge suppressors at home should be renewed on a regular basis, as the semi-conductors will fail over time.

Edited by chengkp75

I'm guessing that if a power strip doesn't say "Surge Protection" then it doesn't have it????? Is there a way to tell just by looking at it??? I've seen several that have On/Off switches but that isn't necessarily surge protection is it???

This is news to me also because I just read on CCL yesterday, that if you bring an extension cord, IT MUST have a surge protector.. Guess this is another question for John...I will go find what I rad and see if I read it wrong first..

I have borrowed an extension cord for my cpap from steward and it was a normal extension cord.

I'm guessing that if a power strip doesn't say "Surge Protection" then it doesn't have it????? Is there a way to tell just by looking at it??? I've seen several that have On/Off switches but that isn't necessarily surge protection is it???

This is just a guess, and I may be wrong. If a power strip does have a surge protector, it will have a push-button circuit breaker on it. If it's just a regular power strip (basically a glorified extension cord), it won't have a circuit breaker. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by beachbum53

This is just a guess, and I may be wrong. If a power strip does have a surge protector, it will have a push-button circuit breaker on it. If it's just a regular power strip (basically a glorified extension cord), it won't have a circuit breaker. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Power strips without surge suppressors can and do have pushbutton circuit breakers/on-off switches. And power strips with surge suppressors don't always have a pushbutton switch/breaker. The two functions have nothing to do with each other.

If you look at the fine print on the back of the power strip, if it says things like "650 joules protection" or "520v clamping voltage" then it has a surge suppressor. The key words are "joules" of energy and "clamping voltage" or the voltage where the surge suppressor starts conducting to ground. Absent these words, it does not have a surge suppressor.

Another tip, if there is a small green LED that says "protected" on it (like the Belkin does), then it has a surge suppressor. If it is the pushbutton that lights up when switched on, that is not a surge suppressor.

Power strips without surge suppressors can and do have pushbutton circuit breakers/on-off switches. And power strips with surge suppressors don't always have a pushbutton switch/breaker. The two functions have nothing to do with each other.

If you look at the fine print on the back of the power strip, if it says things like "650 joules protection" or "520v clamping voltage" then it has a surge suppressor. The key words are "joules" of energy and "clamping voltage" or the voltage where the surge suppressor starts conducting to ground. Absent these words, it does not have a surge suppressor.

Another tip, if there is a small green LED that says "protected" on it (like the Belkin does), then it has a surge suppressor. If it is the pushbutton that lights up when switched on, that is not a surge suppressor.

Thank you so much!! I looked at the ones we had here at the office and sure enough most of them actually say "surge suppressor" (in very small letters, I might add) on the back. But now I know what to look for. I'm printing out your post to use when I go to Wal-Mart!!!

Can you give a link? Neither overcurrent nor over temperature would be disallowed, but I'm a bit surprised that a non-surge suppressor would have an over temperature circuit (thermal break), which is a safety feature of a surge suppressor. If the description mentions anything like "X joules of protection" or "X clamping voltage" then it is a surge suppressor.

This is it here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F877VDO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3EUD48BX9A6TA&coliid=I12P0FHSL3QVI3

I really appreciate all the info some incredibly knowledgeable folks on here have given... I just wish it didn't seem to all go smooth over my head. :o

Chengkp75

I had to read your post to my husband (an electrical foreman) and we discussed the different points you made. Thank you for educating us about the way the onboard electrical works. We never really thought about it before but gaining knowledge is always a good thing.

This is it here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F877VDO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3EUD48BX9A6TA&coliid=I12P0FHSL3QVI3

I really appreciate all the info some incredibly knowledgeable folks on here have given... I just wish it didn't seem to all go smooth over my head. :o

Going to the Bestek website, it states that it does have a surge suppressor (which I thought due to the over temperature feature.

Unfortunately, most combination outlet and USB port power strips have surge suppressors. I would recommend a cheap power strip like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_91?ie=UTF8&qid=1453343597&sr=8-91&keywords=power+strip

And a multi-port USB like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/redirect.html/ref=dp_sp_detail_1?ie=UTF8&merchantID=A2KUZVNQ9LP7N9&originalPageType=Detail&asin=B00OT6YUIY&pl=oIOL2QSET6aKfheEq%2FaSG7ApVwXoe9wu8JTg9w1QbeFbzYqDLDG0Dqjd4TOhbDp8OtnuEO7Jyi5sAbBZQTrsrp4Om1r2JFvq12ro455M4BlbGGPdmda09jtLsT%2FGMoqCbJytOsQWkmNYB1vhSjH9rlimdZ5SHgvvCMwUTgJqSr30JYG2qc4FNRsg1QKw%2FJ4qgSsaVzs4TsgsVGyRLGtlxRnMz8KGp%2BF1Evrj2KRHTGo23V%2BgfywnmZVfAx2eRFN5xJkrZaI631i3wq80RM6QlsDcJOWLaLi%2FOqKHVEx9lr4DGYWCEy7OxNBQ%2BpMuxYpG1dxZAWDP3JIRkGA7NgycSQVHSRdgKE7sqWYFfVKRRBwbHGa25Gh8CbHlxZEvmEJg6x9CldaVUeknrGFuDY8mxZj1ezagkqZvqQnaCJFDjLnIFf%2BNm4tYclj4l7KNoPkpMzvNCnz16aAIjQQaRnzlrR8vIEQ6dBB0HmzwBNLWS%2F0EqMIn%2FtKHB35ElRMizbBnGybdHcwdaJwJSaykj7WsWXBX3mvR2WTEXrv1c7Mg6B%2Bi8qMSaZCzSyvNPofO6KxrlWrkLctt6VIQ76StZpGweRHcQIMaYa04FfI2sP7qwWSw78m5LJb4P1u1Ennlfhkz7z%2BysT0quUriqLv3dBbML7uLD7MO7N%2B3tFFVzKnHXz158PFJV1%2F17Shu6STfZhUTDrAsjb7GACSAlQ6nfzUi3GAKkTGw4hJ5fZ9A2s6gK7%2Fwp9Z%2Fvvm7aSznCAhVBfmZHuVvYwnmH%2Fq4ch8bV2aDWNurRuprK%2BaH8qxhOngB%2B5a3A4emc3617tSgUbZVE8CImclScTnY4%2FLiW1UcJVKrskdXKLc3cu0VsiBIVtcFyvlLzWgyJKnjp5mv3aengq4MrD3rliL6ODnc8TzptNWBqA%3D%3D&token=70A57E3550C855EF55F7736772F266C600B63062

Going to the Bestek website, it states that it does have a surge suppressor (which I thought due to the over temperature feature.

Unfortunately, most combination outlet and USB port power strips have surge suppressors. I would recommend a cheap power strip like this:

>snip<

Well, shoot... Thanks for finding the info, though, and for the recs! We'll probably just get a cheap power strip at Walmart or something and forget about the USB ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_91?ie=UTF8&qid=1453343597&sr=8-91&keywords=power+strip

And a multi-port USB like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/redirect.html/ref=dp_sp_detail_1?ie=UTF8&merchantID=A2KUZVNQ9LP7N9&originalPageType=Detail&asin=B00OT6YUIY&pl=oIOL2QSET6aKfheEq%2FaSG7ApVwXoe9wu8JTg9w1QbeFbzYqDLDG0Dqjd4TOhbDp8OtnuEO7Jyi5sAbBZQTrsrp4Om1r2JFvq12ro455M4BlbGGPdmda09jtLsT%2FGMoqCbJytOsQWkmNYB1vhSjH9rlimdZ5SHgvvCMwUTgJqSr30JYG2qc4FNRsg1QKw%2FJ4qgSsaVzs4TsgsVGyRLGtlxRnMz8KGp%2BF1Evrj2KRHTGo23V%2BgfywnmZVfAx2eRFN5xJkrZaI631i3wq80RM6QlsDcJOWLaLi%2FOqKHVEx9lr4DGYWCEy7OxNBQ%2BpMuxYpG1dxZAWDP3JIRkGA7NgycSQVHSRdgKE7sqWYFfVKRRBwbHGa25Gh8CbHlxZEvmEJg6x9CldaVUeknrGFuDY8mxZj1ezagkqZvqQnaCJFDjLnIFf%2BNm4tYclj4l7KNoPkpMzvNCnz16aAIjQQaRnzlrR8vIEQ6dBB0HmzwBNLWS%2F0EqMIn%2FtKHB35ElRMizbBnGybdHcwdaJwJSaykj7WsWXBX3mvR2WTEXrv1c7Mg6B%2Bi8qMSaZCzSyvNPofO6KxrlWrkLctt6VIQ76StZpGweRHcQIMaYa04FfI2sP7qwWSw78m5LJb4P1u1Ennlfhkz7z%2BysT0quUriqLv3dBbML7uLD7MO7N%2B3tFFVzKnHXz158PFJV1%2F17Shu6STfZhUTDrAsjb7GACSAlQ6nfzUi3GAKkTGw4hJ5fZ9A2s6gK7%2Fwp9Z%2Fvvm7aSznCAhVBfmZHuVvYwnmH%2Fq4ch8bV2aDWNurRuprK%2BaH8qxhOngB%2B5a3A4emc3617tSgUbZVE8CImclScTnY4%2FLiW1UcJVKrskdXKLc3cu0VsiBIVtcFyvlLzWgyJKnjp5mv3aengq4MrD3rliL6ODnc8TzptNWBqA%3D%3D&token=70A57E3550C855EF55F7736772F266C600B63062

It appears the 2nd one has a surge protector. Look at the 3rd picture on the side. It says "Voltage stabilizer Stabilize charging current and provide current surge protection".

These things sure are sneaky. Can you look at it again and verify? Thanks!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71qGdxaEr8L._SL1000_.jpg

Edited by firemanbobswife