Booking excursions last min. in ports?

mlbcruiser

Wondering if it is very likely we could skip reserving some tours yet still have a fair chance of just getting off the ship and signing up for one? Time frame is 2nd half of May. I am particularly thinking of a White Pass bus tour (20 pax) or White Pass & Yukon tour -both out of Skagway. Also, is it absolutely necessary to reserve the Deadliest Catch Tour in advance? While I know it's smart to do so, sometimes we just like to make up our minds on what we want to do when or shortly before we arrive in port. So often we've arrived in ports in other places and found many opportunities for tours on the spot. Don't know how that works in AK. Perhaps certain types of tours are easy to find on the spot in some ports and other tours are not - ?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks for any experienced replies.

I have read in some other posts here that the railroad has high capacity and they can add cars if needed. Just saw the other day where someone had to book the Deadlisest Catch tour through the cruise line as booking direct was sold out. FYI on NCL I think it was about $50 or $60 more to book through them :(

T

If you are just thinking about going up the Klondike Highway to Fraser and return you can get these tours at the dock. But you can't usually arrange any Yukon tours, as they leave early morning and popular vendors many times are sold out. If you want a Yukon tour, then book ahead.

I'd suggest you contact the Deadliest Catch directly and inquire if they take walk up reservations. Some ship contracts have exclusive contracts.

Realize probably half of the available excursions are not going to be available for walk up on the dock. Being you have stated your traveling style, sure you can do this. All the Alaska ports have vendor booths/visitor centers, right near the docks.