Santorini Ferry boat to Oia?

PEKnCHUG

This is the response that I received from Santorini Excursions. I am in hopes that someone will report back that they are indeed operating this season.

This kind of tour is available. It begins from the old port of Fira with a speedboat and you gonna reach Ammoudi bay in only 10 minutes. In this bay there will be a private bus which going to take you to the top of the village of Oia.

In Oia you will have free time to enjoy the famous village and then every one hour there is a private bus from the same spot that we left you and with the same ticket it goes to Fira town.

In Fira the free time depends from the departure time of the last tender to return back on your cruise ship.

In order to see availability please tell how exactly how many adults and how many children you are. Children below 6 years old don’t pay at all but please mention them. Official price is 20€ per person.

This is the response that I received from Santorini Excursions. I am in hopes that someone will report back that they are indeed operating this season.

This kind of tour is available. It begins from the old port of Fira with a speedboat and you gonna reach Ammoudi bay in only 10 minutes. In this bay there will be a private bus which going to take you to the top of the village of Oia.

In Oia you will have free time to enjoy the famous village and then every one hour there is a private bus from the same spot that we left you and with the same ticket it goes to Fira town.

In Fira the free time depends from the departure time of the last tender to return back on your cruise ship.

In order to see availability please tell how exactly how many adults and how many children you are. Children below 6 years old don’t pay at all but please mention them. Official price is 20€ per person.

[/my cruise leaves April 18. I'll let you all know

Edited by FloridaTourist

When I checked the Santorini Excursions website today, I did not see the speed boat and bus service offered on their website. Is this something you have to contact them and inquire?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When I checked the Santorini Excursions website today, I did not see the speed boat and bus service offered on their website. Is this something you have to contact them and inquire?

It was not on the website, so I sent them an email. Their response was what I posted. That is the reason I am anxiously awaiting responses from anyone that has actually gone this season. Am a little nervous about cancelling other plans until someone confirms that they are running as stated.

It was not on the website, so I sent them an email. Their response was what I posted. That is the reason I am anxiously awaiting responses from anyone that has actually gone this season. Am a little nervous about cancelling other plans until someone confirms that they are running as stated.

We are also waiting to see if this boat is still running this year. We have booked an excursion through the ship just in case. It also stops at Santos winery which would be nice. Anyone know if this winery is in walking distance to Oia in case we do the boat instead of the excursion? We are in Santorini on May 22.

Thanks.

I honestly don't know why people are worrying over this and doubting the fact that the boat will run. The company - whether called Santorini Excursions or Dakoutros Brothers - operates on the quayside where the tender boat drops you. There is a ticket office there and they operate various trips out and were doing a roaring trade last year.

We called into Santorini twice last summer. First time we took the boat to Oia and caught the bus back (included in the ticket price), you have to pay extra for the cable car or walk down (if you fancy treading in all the donkey poo :eek:)

The second time we used the same company to take a boat over to the adjoining island where we climbed the caldera and swam in some hot springs.

I can't see any reason why the office won't be there this season - they've even emailed someone above and told them so - and don't think there's any need to prebook. The boat trip to Oia is more like a shuttle service than an excursion.

Edited by Bobal

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a water taxi / ferry from Amoudi Bay to the Cruise tender port?

Looking to walk between Fira and Oia next month and am wondering which direction to walk in.

Thanks

Adam

Interesting question! Presumably they have to get the boat back to the "starting point", so it seems reasonable that they would take passengers in either direction. We're also thinking of doing the walk, and everything I read talks about walking FROM Fira TO Oia (don't know why it couldn't be done the other way), but we would also prefer to take the boat one direction rather than a bus. We're going at the end of June...please let me know how you work it out. :)

Happy cruising!

Interesting question! Presumably they have to get the boat back to the "starting point", so it seems reasonable that they would take passengers in either direction. We're also thinking of doing the walk, and everything I read talks about walking FROM Fira TO Oia (don't know why it couldn't be done the other way), but we would also prefer to take the boat one direction rather than a bus. We're going at the end of June...please let me know how you work it out. :)

Happy cruising!

We noticed that the boats always came back empty so it would seem that they only take one way. Not sure why this would be - perhaps something to do with the tides which may may the return journey that much rougher and less suitable for passengers.

One very good reason to walk to Oia from Fira rather than vice versa is the later in the day the hotter it will get. This is a volcanic island and intense heat can reflect from the surface. We enjoyed the walk but as I noted in other posts there is hardly an ounce of shade. Make sure you wear brimmed hats, use sunscreen and bring plenty of water. Also as the path up one section with a fairly steep hill is overhead in loose small gravel make sure you have shoes with some tread and that you don't mind getting dirty (my beige hiking shoes turned brown). Besides, once you arrive in Oia your will have earned your lunch at one of the many restaurants perched on the cliff. Do try two of the local specialties -- warm puréed fava beans and tomato fritters.

Thanks for the words of wisdom and experience! :) Tomato fritters sound excellent.

We're arriving at Santorini at 2pm, departing at 9pm. I was thinking if we took the boat to Oia and looked around a bit there, we will hopefully be beyond the hottest part of the day when we start to walk back to Fira in late afternoon. Not sure how much it really cools off at night, but at least the sun won't be blazing directly overhead. Since we don't arrive in the morning, there's no way we can "beat the heat" by starting early.

Do you see any chance in getting on one of this tours with 4 ships in port?

2 ships will arrive before us (8am/9am). I'm worried that all the tours will be booked until we arrive (1pm).

our ship

1pm - 8pm Jewel Of The Seas

8am - 8pm Rhapsody Of The Seas

9am - 3pm MSC Sinfonia

2pm - 10pm Norwegian Jade

Currently sitting on the speed boat to Oia. Price this year is 15e plus 5e for the cable car down. Arrived on the Oosterdamn. One other ship in port but can't see the name. Line for cable car up is pretty long. Beautiful day here. 3f37731b9813eadf0fed397566ce8020.jpg

Currently sitting on the speed boat to Oia. Price this year is 15e plus 5e for the cable car down. Arrived on the Oosterdamn. One other ship in port but can't see the name. Line for cable car up is pretty long. Beautiful day here. ]

Thank you so much FloridaTourist. :) We have finally gotten our answer to make sure that it is running this year. Please let us know how the bus portion went.

Can't imagine with only 2 ships at Santorini and the cable line is long already. I wonder how long the line will be when our family arrive in mid June with 4 ships dock between 7 to 8 am.

Another good reason for walking up rather than waiting in line for the cable car. With one ship arriving ahead of us on June 9 and another arriving simultaneous with our ship walking up is a no brainier.

Currently sitting on the speed boat to Oia. Price this year is 15e plus 5e for the cable car down. Arrived on the Oosterdamn. One other ship in port but can't see the name. Line for cable car up is pretty long. Beautiful day here. 3f37731b9813eadf0fed397566ce8020.jpg

Did you have to wait long for the ferry to Oia as we are worried with three ships arriving at once we won't get on a ferry for ages. We go in July and 3 good sizes ships in port.

Another good reason for walking up rather than waiting in line for the cable car. With one ship arriving ahead of us on June 9 and another arriving simultaneous with our ship walking up is a no brainier.

The cable car takes you from the ship tender to Fira. How can you walk all the way up to Oia? I have heard of folks walking down from Fira to the tender dock (making sure to stay away from donkeys and dung, but have never read about anyone walking up to Oia from the tender dock (I believe its called Thira)

Yes, two years ago we walked up from the tender port and then walked from there to Oia. Lovely views on the cliff side walk but "warm" (even for two desert rats like us who live in AZ) without an ounce of shade. This time I am considering a wine tour if I can find one that fits with our time in port and agrees to take us to Argyros Winery (they produce the best wine on Santorini).