Ports of call questions

wildbill426

I'm going on my 2nd cruise shortly on the Norwegian Gem. I'm going solo, and our ports are: Tortola, San Juan, Phillipsburg/St Martin and St Thomas. I've browsed the shore activities offered by NCL and nothing really piqued my interest.

Also, on my first cruise, in retrospect I wish we'd done some ports 'freestyle'. In Grand Cayman we found this awesome tiki bar 2 blocks from the dock with great food and drink; that would have been a good day for me!

So I have a few questions for all you experienced people: First, which of these ports is the best for plain old exploring? Second, my perception is that they're all fairly safe (unlike Ocho Rios which creeped me out); I'm a 6'4" guy so I'm usually okay on those matters, but is my perception correct? Last, has anyone done any tours/activities either via the cruise line or not that were unique or fun? Thank you all very much for the feedback; the info from this forum really made our first cruise experience better.

Wild Bill

Depends obviously op what you want to do but San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten are extremely easy to do on your own if you just want to walk around the town and perhaps do some shopping or having a nice drink and meal. They are all safe to explore alone.

The stop at Tortola is such a short one and there is nothing to really do close to the pier area (except for visiting the Pusser's store and restaurant) that for Tortola I would just book something. People seem to all say the Escape to Jost van Dyke is very very nice. The Beach Break excursion should be nice too as it goes usually to Cane Garden Bay which is a very nice beach. However for that excursion to be nice you should make sure there aren't many ships at the port on the day you are there. The Baths in Tortola (actually Virgin Gorda so a different island) are nice but the Gem's stop with departing time at 1pm makes it just too short of a trip even with NCL's excursion.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

I'm going on my 2nd cruise shortly on the Norwegian Gem. I'm going solo, and our ports are: Tortola, San Juan, Phillipsburg/St Martin and St Thomas. I've browsed the shore activities offered by NCL and nothing really piqued my interest.

Also, on my first cruise, in retrospect I wish we'd done some ports 'freestyle'. In Grand Cayman we found this awesome tiki bar 2 blocks from the dock with great food and drink; that would have been a good day for me!

So I have a few questions for all you experienced people: First, which of these ports is the best for plain old exploring? Second, my perception is that they're all fairly safe (unlike Ocho Rios which creeped me out); I'm a 6'4" guy so I'm usually okay on those matters, but is my perception correct? Last, has anyone done any tours/activities either via the cruise line or not that were unique or fun? Thank you all very much for the feedback; the info from this forum really made our first cruise experience better.

Wild Bill

Port time in Tortola on NCL is usually shorter than the other stops on your itinerary - NCL offers very few cruises with a full day there. If you have not been there previously I would suggest a shore excursion to The Baths in Virgin Gorda - it is a well worth the experience. If you are on a shorter port time I would only book it thru NCL shore excursions - they will wait if your group is delayed.

We were in Tortola again this past November and did the Rebel Yell power catamaran trip to Jost Van Dyke thru NCL and had a great time. If you have a full day .... there are some great private excursions available.

St Martin is unique. Really 2 nationalities. I loved going to both sides Dutch and French. Good chocolates Dutch and good food, wine and cheese French. Many times there.

St Thomas very friendly. Walking around or taxi on own very easy. Many times there.

Was in Phillipsburg in April on Jewel. Very nice walking around.

Love that ship and ports. In St Thomas look into Godfrey tours - alot of fun and great prices. Also check out the Cruzan rum stand (near the port)with free tastings*just tip and taste all you want for free. Use the water taxi in St Marten to the beach and fabulous shopping (best liquor prices). San Juan diy Bacardi factory tour. Nothing much in Tortola.

As far as safety you will be just fine. Stay in tourist area and there will be np .

Safe sailing

I am a single lady, and have done those ports alone - no problem. I have been known to walk away from the port - then get a taxi, and ask him to take me to - what ever you think you would like - a beach or just a tour.

Often the taxi not lined up yelling pick me at the ship is more laid back, and will talk to you about his community. I once had a ride with a man who had to pick up a nurse and her toddler - I got to see more of the "real" part of the island, not just the port stores - enjoyed that. ( I paid for my ride, and she got a "free" ride that day) All were happy.

Have also done ship tours and private tours - depends on my mood. I love to swim in the ocean, but usually only do that if on a tour - otherwise - who knows if you run into problems and go missing?!?

Enjoy your cruise!