Just boarded the Reflection!

jenniebnyc

LOL "I don't need 10 lbs of more food." I have been both a food and cocktail waitress so I understand the challenges they face but I'm in agreement with you Jennie about wanting to be left alone. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I don't even want to know the server's name. Also, servers should get a grip on their anxiety and not be interrupting table conversations with constant "how is everything?"

Last year in Blu on the Constellation, servers were good and appropriate- much better service than we encountered in the MDR. I think if we had had fixed dining and the same wait staff each night in the MDR, the service would have been better.

We were fortunate this year to get a CS for roughly the same price as a balcony room so we're looking forward to trying Luminae.

In previous galley tours we've been told all the seafood/fish is frozen and all provisions are stocked at the beginning of the voyage.

It sounds like Luminae is doing what Blu does- apply same fancy sauces to the same frozen food. After a few nights, the novelty wears off and simpler is better.

I can imagine it wouldn't be practical to look for local reliable food sources in the Caribbean but on European cruises, divine fresh fish/seafood would be readily available. Wasn't the initial claim that Luminae would have freshly sourced food from local ports? It doesn't sound like this is happening yet.

I like the bustling energy of the MDR some of the time and sitting at a big table where we can meet new people. Some of my best cruising tips have come from these conversations. I also like the calm serenity of Blu. For us, the Celebrity specialty restaurants haven't been worth the expense.

Thanks again Jennie for the excellent postings.

Right you are, Desertbelle. In reality, unless you live very near a fishing port, any "fresh" fish you buy will be many days old. It has been demonstrated both by taste and by scientific analysis that immediately flash-frozen fish will usually be of higher quality than "fresh." As an aside, those huge tunas at the market in Tokyo arrive frozen solid and are thawed for sushi and sashimi.

Wow, That tower looks completely devoid of any special prep like....seasoning or sauce, no special touch.:rolleyes:

We had the tower on the Reflection in October and you are correct...completely devoid of any seasoning or sauces. We felt The Porch was not worth the price.

Celebrity is the one that said they want to achieve a Michelin star after one year of service. No one else in their right mind would ever imagine this happening.

The plating photos for Luminae are posted on the Plating wall in the MDR Main galley-so you are eating MDR food basically.

Michelin Stars usually go to restaurants that season their food while cooking which pretty much lets Luminae out. Beautiful room, wonderful service but basic bland food . We ate 3 meals there on the Silly and then went elsewhere.

Norris

Hi: the bridge tour was invite only...at least for our tour. We asked our Michael's Club hostess and she made it happen for us. It was interesting and an honor. I am sure you could always ask your concierge and maybe they can make it happen for you.

A bridge tour is a treat! On ours, we were told, not requested, to not take any pictures. Perhaps that's been relaxed.

Thanks for the posts and have a GREAT trip!!!

Traveling on Reflection on March 5 Eastern Caribbean cruise. Myself and my daughter....Guarantee Verandah (probably obstructed view but we don't care)...daughter is getting married in September and this is a last "Father/Daughter" trip that we will ever get to take with "just us" so we are really looking forward to the experience.

Any and all suggestions to enhance the experience or things to avoid would be appreciated....I've been on 2 other Carnival Cruises but never Celebrity.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Looking forward to getting away from snowy Wisconsin!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
We are currently on the Reflection as well. First time on Celebrity (usually sail Princess and Holland America) and we are loving it! Beautiful ship and so many outgoing and interesting fellow passengers. We have met numerous genuinely nice people just in the last 6 hours. Luminae was delightful with great service and very tasty dishes. We now know why so many people enjoy this dining venue. The high speed internet is working great! Speed test shows 5 Mbs and it is possible to stream videos and listen to Pandora without any hiccups. It was a great surprise to see that XCellerate was installed and working for this cruise. Best internet we have ever experienced at sea. Can't wait to explore more of the ship tomorrow.

Hello ZELLBRAD-

I know this probably isn't the correct way but I couldn't figure out otherwise and thought I'd have better luck contacting you on a newer post. We are on the Royal Princess in November. We are currently booked in M428 and after a search I see that you sailed Royal in that cabin as well. I am having doubts because it is right under Lido and Sea View Bar and the overhang of the bar may make it dark. I don't mind some shade but I would also like some sun. I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts both good and bad. You may email me if you'd like at staceymk67@gmail.com I'd really appreciate it!

Depending on your comps and packages, if you are paying for internet by the minute, it's best to compose the messages in a "Notes" application. Then save the content.

When ready to logon, copy the previously created content into emails and send it normally.

For the CC reviews, I write them onboard, copy them to email, email the daily notes to my other ID and then combine the content at home to create the review.

A bridge tour is a treat! On ours, we were told, not requested, to not take any pictures. Perhaps that's been relaxed.

We were allowed to take any photos we wanted. No video though on the bridge. The crew actually was happy to see us and gave us the red carpet treatment!

However, as the ship was moving, I could not sit in the Captain's chair!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how the sushi is at the Bistro and is it open embarkation day as it was before as a panini place...

How was the food at the Grill and the Porch?

Lastly, is there a View from either the Grill or the Porch--or is it too high to see skyline/islands while in port?

Thanks

Sad to hear the gelato bar near Caffe al Bacio is being taken out :confused: