I like that Carnival is kid and family friendly...how about you

Sweet Dutch Girl

When we cruise, these days, we opt to go at times when kids are a big part of the voyage....summer or school holidays.

This allows us to go as a large family or group with various ages and everyone has an opportunity to enjoy both their age appropriate activities and to intermingle with people of all ages.

I applaud Carnival for going more and more in that direction....I don't even mind the "little ones" as long as they aren't my immediate responsibility. Nothing, for me, is more fun than just "watching" the kids getting to enjoy themselves; it brings back so many happy memories of my own youth. Besides, kids see things through a pair of unjaded eyes...they are impressed with so many things (on ship and on shore) that we forget to see as we grow older. I don't even mind the elevator escapades, or the running or hollering, or the canon balls into the pool. In fact traveling with kids has increased my own activity level whether it be zip lining or horseback riding or para-sailing. If they weren't there to egg me on I would be missing so many things.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

I'll have to agree.

I love the action, atmosphere, and hearing the sounds of children having FUN.

Wife and I went to an all inclusive Adults Only Sandals Resort one time and while we enjoyed ourselves, it was just too quiet. Our next all inclusive was a Beaches Resort. Much more fun and much more enjoyable.

When we cruise, these days, we opt to go at times when kids are a big part of the voyage....summer or school holidays.

This allows us to go as a large family or group with various ages and everyone has an opportunity to enjoy both their age appropriate activities and to intermingle with people of all ages.

I applaud Carnival for going more and more in that direction....I don't even mind the "little ones" as long as they aren't my immediate responsibility. Nothing, for me, is more fun than just "watching" the kids getting to enjoy themselves; it brings back so many happy memories of my own youth. Besides, kids see things through a pair of unjaded eyes...they are impressed with so many things (on ship and on shore) that we forget to see as we grow older. I don't even mind the elevator escapades, or the running or hollering, or the canon balls into the pool. In fact traveling with kids has increased my own activity level whether it be zip lining or horseback riding or para-sailing. If they weren't there to egg me on I would be missing so many things.

So very true!!

I am grandmother to three wonderful grandsons with whom I went on a cruise to Alaska a year and a half ago at ages 9, 4, and 1 1/2. Their memories of that trip are priceless - my daughter took all three on a trek on Mendenhall glacier - she remembers it as a rainy, cold, slogging march while carrying the youngest on her back - but a beautiful and worthwhile trip. The boys remember it as the best thing ever! They loved the rain, the snow, the ice walking, the picture taking, being soaked clear to the underwear by the time they caught the bus back to the ship. There is not one mention of anything bad on that whole trip. In March, we get to travel again together on the Triumph so they can enjoy some warm water sailing with their parents, their uncle and aunt and cousin, and my two friends and myself. We are all excited to share those experiences as well.

Edited by isaiahsnana
add more info

While HAL is our favorite line ... because there aren't many kids :)... we're glad that CCL does encourage families and all of their assorted kidlets. :D They do well fulfilling that niche.

We feel like cruising is all about what you want and when our son was little what we would have wanted was to have fun with our family group.

If we sail CCL now that we're both retired we go at times when most kids are in school so the headcount isn't overwhelming but we don't complain about kids on CCL because we go in knowing "it's what they do":)

We cruised Norwegian with our preschoolers, and HAL with our School Age kids. We weren't disappointed with those lines either. They were both very accommodating and fun for them. We can't wait to give Carnival a try this summer with our teens. So glad cruises are such a family oriented type of vacation that everyone can agree on!

I have been taking my nephew on all my cruises since he was 6, and he loves it. I'm a teacher, and we have the same vacation time. He will be 17 next month, and I will be taking him for his birthday since it is during our spring break vacation. There is so much for them to do, and there are also so many family activities and excursions. He is looking forward to sailing on the Breeze for the 3rd time. I'm a teacher so the noise that they sometimes make on the ship doesn't bother me at all. I went on a 3 day Labor Day cruise to celebrate a friend's birthday, and it was full of nasty disgusting drunks. I missed the family atmosphere of the longer cruises.

We were going to go to Disney for 2 days this past summer, but a 6 day cruise on the Breeze was a lot less expensive. So we took the cruise instead.

Edited by CARNIVALCRUISE3

Love. Love. Love. They are so accommodating to the kids and the waiters and room concierge go out of their way to know the kids and make them happy! If I wanted a vacay with no kids I certainly wouldn't choose this brand of travel. My son and daughter love camp ocean ...at first I felt guilty seeing if they wanted to go there but they LOVED it so they made it easy for hubs and I to enjoy some time in serenity, gambling, or seeing s show! We always plan a family vacay before our own little getaway....carnival makes it easy!!

Edited by Iheartcruising78

I love this! As a mom of 4, I tend to worry about how my kids are affecting other people's ability to enjoy themselves, whether it's at a restaurant, a party or a vacation. While they are typically well behaved, and we do our best not to put them in situations where they'll be expected to act in a way that is more mature than they're developmentally able to handle, kids are still kids, and unpredictable things happen. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about intermingling with families on vacation!

Just wanted to add that we recently moved into a cul de sac of five houses, all of whom had kids who were grown and moved away. Every single neighbor has commented about how wonderful it is to see and hear the kids playing outside, enjoying the seasons!

I love cruising not only for the kids to have fun, but my mom as well! Cruising is a very multi-generational vacation with something for practically everyone. What Carnival does so well is the warm, friendly yet professional demeanor their staff demonstrates. I feel welcome, my DDs feel welcome and so does my mom. The general attitude of Carnival helps to make your time on their ship extra-special.

We travel with no children and prefer it that way. However, children being present do not bother me when on vacation....if I want a vacation with NO children then it is my job to book an adult only vacation. That being said, I do mind the elevator escapades, the running and hollering, etc.

I'm not much of a kid person at all, which is why I usually cruise while kids are in school.

That said, I'm really glad that Carnival has a lot of programs for kids and keeps them busy, occupied and happy. It's great for them and helps keep the ship free of bored kids roaming around causing problems.

Last year on the Elation there were not a ton of kids, and we vary rarely saw them at all. And when we did, they seemed occupied and engaged in appropriate activities (like playing games, playing in the pool, visiting the arcade, etc). Kids running up and down the hallways would quickly drive me crazy.

I think traveling with my kids helps me see things differently. For instance, many complaints about carnival ships is the decor. We went on the Valor last year and many of the reviews talked about the over the top patriotic decor. My then 9yo son could not stop talking about how BEAUTIFUL the ship was. Pointing out all of the Eagles and the American flag floors. Totally made me smile.

We also encourage them to try something new everyday food wise. They are always so proud of themselves when trying some of the "grown up" fancier foods. And then people complain about the food. They think heaven must have a Pizza pirate and 24/7 self serve ice cream.

And as a PP stated, they make me go out if my comfort zone. I am even considering cave tubing in Belize!

I think they make me appreciate the vacation even if there are hiccups.

We don't have childcare available to cruise alone so until then we will be on the family lines. We will try more adult oriented ships when we are empty nesters

To answer your sentiment, OP, yes we too are glad.

Even before we had children, we noticed how much fun kids were having on cruises. Didn't and still don't mind them. And while I expect kids to behave and show good manners, I realize they will act like kids! If they get a little excited, big deal.

We couldn't wait to bring ours, which we did for the first time when the youngest was 5. Now they are both hooked on it and my little one could seriously book one herself. She watches everything I do!

We love Carnival. Proud to say it. They have great kids programs and we have never had any major complaints with the line. That said, I imagine other cruise lines do a great job as well. For us it has been a nice way to show them certain parts of the caribbean. We take other short trips too, but cruising has become our main family trip every year.