Lemons? Baked Goods?

ohitssunshine

Hey guys - I have read the FAQ on the Carnival site and see that you cannot bring on foods that are not already prepackaged. Would love to know what you may have experienced or may know about these two questions I have:

If I were to buy muffins or donuts from a nearby bakery - would I be able to bring them aboard if they are packaged by the bakery?

Also - I start every day with a cup of warm lemon water. I don't think I able to bring fresh lemons on board based on the FAQ - so do they have lemon available? Even if I have to hijack a couple of slices from the buffet?

They do have lemons available at the beverage stations. I think you could probably bring bakery goods on board, but you'll find plenty at the breakfast bar each morning...or you can order various things from room service.

They do have lemons available at the beverage stations. I think you could probably bring bakery goods on board, but you'll find plenty at the breakfast bar each morning...or you can order various things from room service.

Thank you! And yes, I know they will have a ton of baked goods - but I eat a vegan diet and don't think too many of those delicious goods will fit into my diet. It just so happens there is a vegan bakery not too far from the Jax port and so I was hoping that I could sneak a few treats on board!

Part of the replies are inaccurate! You cannot bring baked goods. We have personally seen multiple times when the passenger was forced to discard baked goods, yes even those packaged from a bakery.

It is NOT a Carnival rule, it is the USDA that prohibits bringing food stuffs like baked goods onboard.

Part of the replies are inaccurate! You cannot bring baked goods. We have personally seen multiple times when the passenger was forced to discard baked goods, yes even those packaged from a bakery.

It is NOT a Carnival rule, it is the USDA that prohibits bringing food stuffs like baked goods onboard.

That makes sense...I definitely don't want to waste my money and have to throw them out and most of all, I hate to be a pain and cause an issue!

OP: in your situation it would be best to contact the special needs dept. in regards to your dietary wants/needs. Many passengers have great success in working with the staff to fulfil their requirements for a non-traditional menu.

Thank you for that recommendation - I would not have thought of it!

And just in case you can't find any lemons on the Lido buffets, they will give you plenty in the MDR at meal times if you ask, so maybe bring a small zip lock bag and stick some in there each evening for your morning use. But if you order room service each morning and ask for hot tea with lemon, you won't even need to do that. They'll bring you a small pot of hot water and sliced lemons. Tea is Lipton so you can ditch it, if you'd like.

And just in case you can't find any lemons on the Lido buffets, they will give you plenty in the MDR at meal times if you ask, so maybe bring a small zip lock bag and stick some in there each evening for your morning use. But if you order room service each morning and ask for hot tea with lemon, you won't even need to do that. They'll bring you a small pot of hot water and sliced lemons. Tea is Lipton so you can ditch it, if you'd like.

Oh, perfect!

Make that USPH rule, part of CDC, under Health & Human Services, not Agriculture.

We just returned from my daughters first Carnival cruise as a vegan. I tried contacting special needs before the cruise but they did not consider a vegan diet a special need. They referred me to the maître d on board. My daughter went and spoke with them after we boarded and with our wait staff the first night at dinner in the MDR. She was provided with vegan appetizers, entrees and desserts each evening so that worked out great. She was really pleased with just about everything except the desserts. Next time she would just request the tropical fruit plate each night.

As far as breakfast she would get potatoes from the buffet and take them to the Blue Iguana and have them covered with the various sautéed veggies. She was also able to request soy milk from the buffet staff to have with cereal.

For lunch in the afternoon she enjoyed the Pizza Pirate. They would make her a cheese less mushroom pizza upon request.

She did carry on some pre packaged snacks like nuts and such to take with her in to port in case she had trouble finding vegan options there but she never had trouble finding plenty of things she would eat on the ship.

Enjoy your trip!

We just returned from my daughters first Carnival cruise as a vegan. I tried contacting special needs before the cruise but they did not consider a vegan diet a special need. They referred me to the maître d on board. My daughter went and spoke with them after we boarded and with our wait staff the first night at dinner in the MDR. She was provided with vegan appetizers, entrees and desserts each evening so that worked out great. She was really pleased with just about everything except the desserts. Next time she would just request the tropical fruit plate each night.

As far as breakfast she would get potatoes from the buffet and take them to the Blue Iguana and have them covered with the various sautéed veggies. She was also able to request soy milk from the buffet staff to have with cereal.

For lunch in the afternoon she enjoyed the Pizza Pirate. They would make her a cheese less mushroom pizza upon request.

She did carry on some pre packaged snacks like nuts and such to take with her in to port in case she had trouble finding vegan options there but she never had trouble finding plenty of things she would eat on the ship.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you for sharing this! I reached out to the MD on our upcoming cruise and was super impressed when he replied and had included the response from the chef that he reached out to. They also told me they would be able to have vegan options available for dinner and I was shocked that they included desserts. I know how easy it is to make dessert vegan, but I just didn't think that they would go that far. Do you know what she had for dessert that she didn't like?

Again - thank you - everytime I hear a success like this, it makes me less nervous!

No need to be nervous at all. Even with regard to the desserts. I should have clarified that my daughter is very picky when it comes to some textures, especially in desserts. She doesn't like anything that resembles a pudding, mousse or includes cooked fruit. She is even weird about cake textures sometimes. Her dislike of the majority of the desserts had far more to do with texture than appearance (they were all beautiful) or taste. There was some sort of tart one night that was covered in fresh berries that she loved.

Even before she was a vegan there wasn't much other than the fresh fruit that she would order off the Carnical dessert menu so only liking one of the desserts wasn't uncommon for her.

As long as you are a normal person (and not like my daughter :D) I'd be willing to bet you will enjoy the dessert offerings.

No need to be nervous at all. Even with regard to the desserts. I should have clarified that my daughter is very picky when it comes to some textures, especially in desserts. She doesn't like anything that resembles a pudding, mousse or includes cooked fruit. She is even weird about cake textures sometimes. Her dislike of the majority of the desserts had far more to do with texture than appearance (they were all beautiful) or taste. There was some sort of tart one night that was covered in fresh berries that she loved.

Even before she was a vegan there wasn't much other than the fresh fruit that she would order off the Carnical dessert menu so only liking one of the desserts wasn't uncommon for her.

As long as you are a normal person (and not like my daughter :D) I'd be willing to bet you will enjoy the dessert offerings.

Haha, I love it! Thank you for the clarification - that makes total sense. My son is the same way - but not me. Especially if someone makes it FOR me!

Make that USPH rule, part of CDC, under Health & Human Services, not Agriculture.

But it doesn't help when ship board security allows food onboard.

We've brought onboard (with full knowledge of security) Mexican sweet rolls, half the contents of a Molcajete (for Mom as she didn't want to go ashore), limes from our backyard (when they were expensive and we had no restrictions moving backyard fruit).

We weren't smuggling, full disclosure to security. Only issues we've had has been security asking which was theirs. All these were left onboard or trashed when the cruise was over. Seen plenty of crew bringing carry out onboard.

Only in Astoria, OR have we seen a sign not to bring food onboard.