Traveling with a 10 month old

We did a cruise with our 10 month old in December. Bring lots of extra diapers and formula (if formula fed).

We used the MDR and they gave a high chair. We avoided the buffet as much as possible.

Umbrella stroller was great. Took baby out to exterior promenade deck under lifeboats; wind and sound of waves put him right to sleep, even easier than at home.

Take advantage of the open hours of the kids club to let your kid play and have fun there. We also utilized unused lounges during the day to let him crawl around. Took him to the Seuss at Sea daytime shows, Towel Animal puppet theater show, and main shows at night (he slept in stroller).

Just go with the flow and you will have a good time. It was an easy vacation for us. much better than a land vacation, IMO. We just walked around the ports; no excursions. I would not get into a foreign taxi without a car seat for our baby.

They will blend up fruits or veggies in the MDR for the baby, just ask! All of the staff were very accommodating for the baby.

I think it's easier to try babywearing than using a stroller.

Different for each person. Tried it with two different brands of carriers. I hated it. Baby hated it. Just not for us. A small folding umbrella stroller was very easy on the ship and for walking in ports. Our full size stroller would have been a bit clumsy on the ship I think; glad we did not bring it.

What is it like cruising with a 10 month old. The good, the bad and the ugly. We are very laid back and are not doing an intensive itinerary just beach days and walking around doing some minor site seeing. Any tips would be appreciated also.

Kids who are not potty trained are not allowed in the pools and hot tubs, even with swim diapers.

I've read that people bring small blow-up bathtubs to bathe their kids in the shower stall.

The floor of the disco is made of glass. I've watched lots of babies crawl all over it and squeal with glee.

Many crew members have children back in their home countries. They will spoil your 10 month old rotten.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by stargate fan

.....unless they get sick. Then, things escalate. Quickly.

Sick kids are never fun no matter what their location. I'd definitely say a pre-trip visit to the doctor could not hurt; for our kid that fell in line with shot schedules and the doctor didn't suggest anything additional for the trip, but it did give some reassurance anyways.

Having now traveled with a baby both on a ship and to a land destination, I thought the ship was actually easier to deal with because everything is conveniently located. Everyone will handle it differently, but for us I felt it was totally "easy button".

Traveling with a baby is like traveling with a baby :). You need to bring all the usual baby items and expect to give the baby your undivided attention 24/7. Some lines do have baby sitter service (on a first come first serve basis) and a few lines/ships have some baby services. Also keep in mind that babies who are not potty trained cannot be taken into the ship's pools (a few ships have baby pools).

Hank

Never paid attention to there being a family forum i will go over there and xheck that out. Thank you guys for all the advice.

Did you learn any tips you could add on here? I leave in 10 days and am scrambling for anything I may have forgotten.

• 3 weeks later...
with some cruiselines you are able to pre-order diapers. Means you don't have to pack that many

check with them.

also, if you use a babyphone check before if it will work on cruise ships due to the iron walls.

Unfortunately, you can't count on the diaper delivery service. We did that for Katharine and none of the stuff arrived and we were stuck scrambling. Thankfully, the first port of call had a Walmart where we could buy the items.

A baby monitor will only work with connecting cabins and not beyond that. So you can't leave the baby alone in a cabin and expect to hear anything on another deck or a few cabins away. They're not strong enough to go through the superstructure.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if we can bring opened can of formula? Or does it have to be new sealed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Which ship? Which itin? Powdered or liquid?

If your cabin has a fridge it doesn't get cool enough to be safe. Never seen one go below 47f (our travel click has a thermometer.)

Might want to ask on the Family board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app