First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

A refreshing glass of Stella Artois was enjoyed up by the Sunset bar where the staff had little to do apart from posing for me. My regular server Bojan from Serbia is far left.

24094474593_3a283d153c_b.jpg

This was the only bar I drank at all week. The staff there were friendly and efficient which is exactly as it should be. There's a place for surly bartenders-it's an airplane seat back to where they came from. Or-over the side of the ship if you can sneak up on them and "help" them over the railing.

Club Med II is still here

24093134194_19e4d57bbe_b.jpg

There were several French people in line with us when we were in CVS buying our fridge magnets. Zut Alors! It was nice to hear them talking. If you look closely you can see some French people on deck...

24094471423_27d2bd8a76_b.jpg

Lots of passengers around the pool

24627802951_7cb9a0b66f_b.jpg

From 8 to 10 pm there was Sangria and Tapas on the Lawn with a singer guitarist entertaining the folks on the grass. The staff had laid out little wooden stools and pillows. Every cruise ship needs a lawn installed at the next dry dock!!

24603526562_45dbbdff8c_b.jpg

Lawn Club Grill did good business every night and soon it would be our turn to enjoy it. The aroma of seared steaks wafted across the lawn to whet my appetite.

24695107076_e7060c229c_b.jpg

Hi Norris!

Really enjoying your review so far! Which pier were you docked at in San Juan? Pan American or Old San Juan Pier? It looks like maybe Old San Juan, Celebrity told me today that they dock for the day in Pan American, I am hoping the lady I talked to was wrong. This would mean we have to take a taxi into Old San Juan.

Hi Norris!

Really enjoying your review so far! Which pier were you docked at in San Juan? Pan American or Old San Juan Pier? It looks like maybe Old San Juan, Celebrity told me today that they dock for the day in Pan American, I am hoping the lady I talked to was wrong. This would mean we have to take a taxi into Old San Juan.

To be honest I don't know. Maybe my photos and sail-in video have clues?

Closest landmarks were a ferry terminal to our left (seen from the ship,docking bow first) and a big CVS opposite it.

Norris

To be honest I don't know. Maybe my photos and sail-in video have clues?

Closest landmarks were a ferry terminal to our left (seen from the ship,docking bow first) and a big CVS opposite it.

Norris

It looks like Old San Juan in the photos, I am having a hard time telling. We took Celebrity Summit Cruise last year from the Pan American Pier, that is not walking distance to Old San Juan. Were you walking distance from stores, restaurants, and hotels? Were you close to Sheraton hotel do you remember? You took the Segway from the pier? It looks like you were, which would be awesome then.

Edited by AngelKappie

Sangria and Tapas is underway on the lawn. I see those aren't low stools-they are little tables with battery candles lit. Such a nice unique touch. Kudos Celebrity!!

24353650809_27634510aa_b.jpg

Aida Vita sits at another terminal. Hopefully this can help AngelKappie identify the pier we are docked at.

24353653799_95c9a7c006_b.jpg

The distant lights of San Juan's environs

24094478873_f3c4bfe5c5_b.jpg

Club Med II has dropped her lines and is prepared to leave....(video for ship nerds)

An empty dock remains and it is our turn to back out of our berth

24093156724_a57ef6b33f_b.jpg

It looks like Old San Juan in the photos, I am having a hard time telling. We took Celebrity Summit Cruise last year from the Pan American Pier, that is not walking distance to Old San Juan. Were you walking distance from stores, restaurants, and hotels? Were you close to Sheraton hotel do you remember? You took the Segway from the pier?

Norris, thank you for the wonderful review. I can't wait to read more. I haven't sailed on Silhouette yet, but I've been on Solstice, Reflection and Eclipse and will be sailing on Equinox in 2017. I've also been on the Summit a couple of times and will be sailing on her again in April. Although the S class and M class have their obvious differences, I enjoy both. I haven't tried LCG yet, but you have me excited to try it. Hope it will be on the Equinox when we sail in 2017!

AngelKappie, Celebrity docks in the Old San Juan pier for port visits, but it departs for new cruises from the Pan Am pier. Norris is definitely in Old San Juan.

Happy Cruising

LAWN CLUB GRILL

This already was our third night on the ship and on the prior two nights I had noticed Lawn Club Grill was packing them in for dinner. It's easy to find if you (a) sniff the air like a Bloodhound and (b) look between the funnels. We hadn't eaten anything other than each other's Segway dust since 8 hours ago.

24721330615_f8d8c934cf_b.jpg

We were ready for anything-except the waiter that served our table.

We both love Indian food and music. I used to have Indian friends when I lived in London, curry capital of the World. They were bright and very witty companions-just a lot of fun, bursting with personality.

Enter a whirling dervish of energy and wit called Valeriano(call me Val or Doctor V.) He's been with X for 14 years. His passport is Portuguese and his ancestry is from the former Portuguese colony of Goa, India.

He's our kind of waiter which means he is loose, not stiff or shy, and can take a joke and understand my deadpan schtick and give it back to me-just like Murano's Walter did with his "it's fresh warm-water lobster....from a can".

I am sure some of you have been served by this happy face....

24721335245_024aea0f87_b.jpg

I said upfront to him that I didn't want any flatbread as I was going to eat a lot of meat. His response- the flatbread is very good-what toppings would you like?

We laughed. "It's very small-two bites-I'll bring one anyway" We broke down and ordered half pepperoni for me and half Margarita for Carol. You know I'm not going to eat this I said to Carol (but I did and it was yummy!!)

Next he took our order for the grill. Again we order conservatively. A couple of skewers and a small filet for me. "and the lamb chops? Very very nice-and TINY!" he said. I declined as I didn't want to waste food. He scampered away, leaving a blur behind like Roadrunner in the cartoons and came back with a plate with uncooked meats on it to show us the portions we would be getting. No lamb chops tonight (but we would have them on a later night and ....OMG!!)

The restaurant was thinning out as it was near the end of service and they closed at 10. The manager Sacha, dressed in black (you'll see him later at the Pizza oven in a video) put on some Latin salsa music, which we love and he began dancing. I was eating and foolishly didn't stop to pick up the camcorder. He was a great dancer and was encouraged by the rest of the staff. These people in the LCG are loose and fun!

Nearby a young couple were making their own salads then the woman got a lesson in making her own flatbread followed by her husband cooking their steaks on the grill. They were having so much fun!! We could also watch them on the overhead TV monitors. What a great concept this restaurant has!

While your steaks were being cooked by the chef, and there were few people left I asked the pizza tosser supreme, a beautiful young girl called Puta from the Far East to show me how she prepares flatbread..... (video)

More to follow....

Norris

Norris, thank you for the wonderful review. I can't wait to read more. I haven't sailed on Silhouette yet, but I've been on Solstice, Reflection and Eclipse and will be sailing on Equinox in 2017. I've also been on the Summit a couple of times and will be sailing on her again in April. Although the S class and M class have their obvious differences, I enjoy both. I haven't tried LCG yet, but you have me excited to try it. Hope it will be on the Equinox when we sail in 2017!

AngelKappie, Celebrity docks in the Old San Juan pier for port visits, but it departs for new cruises from the Pan Am pier. Norris is definitely in Old San Juan.

Happy Cruising

Thanks for answering this question for me!

Thanks also for the comments on the review. Much appreciated!

Norris

Happy Cruising

Thank you!That is what I thought too. Funny I called Celebrity twice and they both told me Pan American. I even told them what sailing I am on, but I just couldn't believe them!

The food came to the table and it was good. Good quality meats and shrimp and scallops too. Three different dips for the meat were provided. Carol had the Chocolate chip cookie a la mode for dessert but I forgot to photograph it. Warm from the oven and perfuming the air with chocolatey goodness. I ate the ice cream which was velvety smooth vanilla.

24627833791_ec4585b44e_b.jpg

I didn't have any of the side dishes, such as baked potato but Carol had some sweetcorn and great mac n' cheese and we could have ordered as many meat, seafood and veggie skewers as our hearts desired. It was a great dining experience. I think our sailings may be restricted to Silhouette and Reflection unless the other ships get the LCG retrofitted. It's a money spinner.

24093167354_3d7b89abea_b.jpg

The fee here is $45 a person and you can certainly get your money's worth while enjoying the warm Caribbean night air.

A stroll on deck as the ship sailed along in the dark was a fitting end to an amazing day.

Tomorrow, like today there was much to look forward to which is one of the great things about cruising. Take today for example....

I woke up from a deep sleep and had coffee while watching a glorious sunrise

I had a wonderful breakfast to ease into the day. No cooking, no cleaning up.

All the staff (bar a couple) smiled and wished me "Good morning ,Sir!"

I sipped a beer while watching officers and passengers enjoy a game of Bocce.

I had fun photographing and videotaping our arrival in a beautiful port

I had steak and fries for lunch while gazing at the harbor

I went ashore with a new camera strapped to my wrist and learned a new skill, riding a Segway through some wonderful and interesting scenery

I crossed a fridge magnet off my list

I had a great fun meal to end the day....

Tomorrow in St Kitts we would make new memories.

And so to bed....to sleep, perchance to dream.

Norris

I should know better than to miss several days of reading one of your reviews! It has taken me 2 days, but now I'm finally caught up.

I was especially interested in your Segway Tour in San Juan. DH and I have done a number of Segway Tours in different places, but have not done San Juan yet. I loved your videos!

We do not have another cruise scheduled until November. Having read just these first few days of this review,I am now dying to get another cruise booked between now and our November sailing. I just have to convince DH it's a good idea. He seems to think the fact that I'm still recovering from bilateral knee replacement might make cruising right now not such a good idea. :confused: OK, I do have to admit he may have a point there, but recovery is going well so maybe I can convince him. :p :D

Nancy, I'm sure it would lift your spirits sky high to get back on the sea and there are only a couple of decks on most ships where the elevator doesn't go and stairs are involved. You could ask your Doctor if it's a good idea once you pick a month to sail.

I'm sending out good vibes to your knees- you may feel them tingling but that's just part of my treatment process.

Norris

Norris, continuing to enjoy your review. Really looking forward to The Lawn Club Grill, but I had not previously heard of the Tappas and Sangria on the lawn. Can you possible provide any additional information on this? For instance, is it something that must be reserved; do you know how often it's offered, etc.?

And this raises a general question about the Lawn area (as an aside, is the entire lawn area it called the "Lawn Club" or is that reserved for the Grill?) that I've been meaning to ask: is access to the Lawn area restricted in any way? I'm wondering if there is a fee (like the Sanctuary on Princess ships), or if only certain classes of cabins have access (we'll be Aqua Class). During the day, other than the Alcoves (which were apparently reserved on day 1), is there other seating in the Lawn area, such as loungers or can one spread out a towel on the grass and catch some rays?

I will also do some searching on these topics with the forum search tool, but since you're posting about the area, I thought I'd ask.

Also, I loved your pictures from El Morro, and thought I'd share one of mine that is a bit unusual. It's taken from inside one of the little "turrets" overlooking the cemetery. I thought you might enjoy it. :) I hope you don't mind.

IMG_4909_zpsgqg3h7p7.jpg

I'm definitely going to be asking you a slew of questions about Princess and how it "stacks" up to your Celebrity experience. The S-Class ships really have an amazing wow-factor, the pictures, videos, and especially actually being on the ship always get me excited!!

I look forward to meeting (less than 2 weeks!)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must say that the "Wow-factor" is definitely one of the reasons I've been drawn to the S-Class ships from the beginning. I think Princess has a bit more of a lower case "w" "wow-factor" - not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) Also, my feelings on the topic may be influenced by the fact that we've seen and experienced all of Princess' wows many times over. And that is not to say we don't enjoy them, but there's not a lot new there at this point.

Will definitely look forward to meeting and chatting. What are we at now, about 10 days and counting? I cannot wait!

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

Welcome and thanks for complimenting the review!

The Ruby is the only PCL ship we have sailed twice to date. Best food I have tasted on the line (MDR) and she always looks immaculate.

I think X hit a home run when they put the Lawn Club Grill on the Silhouette rather than repeat the Hot Glass Show.

Norris

Will be on that one in October. We seem to travel on the same ships Norris :)

Norris, continuing to enjoy your review. Really looking forward to The Lawn Club Grill, but I had not previously heard of the Tappas and Sangria on the lawn. Can you possible provide any additional information on this? For instance, is it something that must be reserved; do you know how often it's offered, etc.?

And this raises a general question about the Lawn area (as an aside, is the entire lawn area it called the "Lawn Club" or is that reserved for the Grill?) that I've been meaning to ask: is access to the Lawn area restricted in any way? I'm wondering if there is a fee (like the Sanctuary on Princess ships), or if only certain classes of cabins have access (we'll be Aqua Class). During the day, other than the Alcoves (which were apparently reserved on day 1), is there other seating in the Lawn area, such as loungers or can one spread out a towel on the grass and catch some rays?

I will also do some searching on these topics with the forum search tool, but since you're posting about the area, I thought I'd ask.

Also, I loved your pictures from El Morro, and thought I'd share one of mine that is a bit unusual. It's taken from inside one of the little "turrets" overlooking the cemetery. I thought you might enjoy it. :) I hope you don't mind.

IMG_4909_zpsgqg3h7p7.jpg

I must say that the "Wow-factor" is definitely one of the reasons I've been drawn to the S-Class ships from the beginning. I think Princess has a bit more of a lower case "w" "wow-factor" - not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) Also, my feelings on the topic may be influenced by the fact that we've seen and experienced all of Princess' wows many times over. And that is not to say we don't enjoy them, but there's not a lot new there at this point.

Will definitely look forward to meeting and chatting. What are we at now, about 10 days and counting? I cannot wait!

Great photo and no I don't mind. I love photos that are framed like that (hence my porthole ones).

Re the Lawn and Sangria and tapas. Anyone can show up-there was certainly no note in Celebrity Today saying otherwise. No gatekeeper or bouncer involved, just waiters setting up a temporary bar when I walked past before it and later took the photo. Not like Princess Sanctuary where there is a fee and peace and quiet.

Just a great idea by X. Anytime, except when they are cutting and watering the grass you can sit or lay on the lawn. It feels great on your hot bare feet! Like a massage.

There was live music on the lawn a couple of evenings.

I loved the lawn and will miss it if a ship doesn't have it- it's a green space where other ships would just have more acres of sun loungers and people yakking.

The ship itself 122,000 tonnes but only 2900 pax has so much free space as you'll see in some of the art shots I show later. There is room to breathe indoors and out. If there is a more beautiful ship at sea it probably has an X on the funnel.

I said WOW with every corner I turned.

The board who commissioned it and the architect who figured out the plan to their specs and the Interior Design team were all big Wheeties eaters I am told.

I have been so disappointed in some of the new builds over the past 7 years or so that I have been on CC and you know the Royal Princess was one of them.

In the shipyard they realized they had forgotten to build aft suites and simply jammed two balcony cabins together and told the people who had booked those cabins to pick something else. Some genius thought a water and light show was a better idea than another full size pool etc. but forgot that water blows around in the wind. The uncovered promenade deck where you can either (a) bake in the heat or (b) sit on soggy cushions or © take a very short walk was a disaster in design.

Yes, WOW WOW WOW to the S Class.

No loungers on the lawn but half a dozen hammocks (superb!) and the two Giant Adirondacks.

Norris

It looks like Old San Juan in the photos, I am having a hard time telling. We took Celebrity Summit Cruise last year from the Pan American Pier, that is not walking distance to Old San Juan. Were you walking distance from stores, restaurants, and hotels? Were you close to Sheraton hotel do you remember? You took the Segway from the pier? It looks like you were, which would be awesome then.

When you're docking for the day Celebrity used the Old San Juan pier. Summit, which starts it's cruises in San Juan, uses the Pan American pier for the security and admin facilities.

Cruise day 4-St.Kitts

January 20 2016

Just a heads-up before I get started on today's adventures. There will be a lot of interior ship shots before we go ashore which may be of special interest to those who haven't sailed on the Silly. Have some Bounty towels standing by to pick up the drool.

Also-a note for 5:00_Somehere. The beverages during the Sangria and Tapas get together were not free. The food was. I'm sure a beverage package covered the cost of drinks.

Now down to business...

I was up before dawn and waiting for the sun to show up.

24170327703_cf3a73c89d_b.jpg

We passed an unidentifiable island that looked like it was a volcano or was trying to impersonate one.

24797205325_74b2d15abb_b.jpg

24703712121_478a8e3a9a_b.jpg

The ship's aft funnel just ignored the wanna-be volcano

24501679720_a9ce9763dd_b.jpg

and the shower for washing the grass off your feet just hissed at it.

24170340553_baea52607f_b.jpg

24770990836_e75aec7211_b.jpg

Just then a crow (in the crow's nest) squawked " St. Kitts ahoy, Cap'n Norris"

I raised my spyglass to my good eye. Aye, St Kitts it was! My timbers began to shiver at the sight.

24799752225_1f4436deea_b.jpg

**(two photos obviously stitched together)

I called the bosun to the Sunset bar and handed him the spyglass. "What do you make of that, bosun?" I enquired. "Why, it's a spyglass Cap'n" "No man, damn your eyes-the island. The island!!"

"St Kitts Sir" he said without looking. "How do you know bosun?"

"I have tickets for the Sugar Train ride and Catamaran Sail, Sir!"

"Back to your quarters bosun-and lay off the rum!"

Hmm..that excursion sure sounds good. I must try that!!

24170369453_023858e49e_b.jpg

24169077964_cf4c359e96_b.jpg

24703751201_fe06f5dfce_b.jpg

Back in my quarters to check my charts...

24170380453_11ed1a5e2c_b.jpg

Then back up on deck as if driven by impulse...these next photos are for the

"Dramatic cloud formation nerds" ( of which I am one)

24501719020_8da4377be3_b.jpg

24771024816_4444f10cb8_b.jpg

24771028016_25d82956c4_b.jpg

24797263605_b157517002_b.jpg

24501746620_837bb6ab3e_b.jpg

Great photo and no I don't mind. I love photos that are framed like that (hence my porthole ones).

Re the Lawn and Sangria and tapas. Anyone can show up-there was certainly no note in Celebrity Today saying otherwise. No gatekeeper or bouncer involved, just waiters setting up a temporary bar when I walked past before it and later took the photo. Not like Princess Sanctuary where there is a fee and peace and quiet.

Just a great idea by X. Anytime, except when they are cutting and watering the grass you can sit or lay on the lawn. It feels great on your hot bare feet! Like a massage.

There was live music on the lawn a couple of evenings.

I loved the lawn and will miss it if a ship doesn't have it- it's a green space where other ships would just have more acres of sun loungers and people yakking.

The ship itself 122,000 tonnes but only 2900 pax has so much free space as you'll see in some of the art shots I show later. There is room to breathe indoors and out. If there is a more beautiful ship at sea it probably has an X on the funnel.

I said WOW with every corner I turned.

The board who commissioned it and the architect who figured out the plan to their specs and the Interior Design team were all big Wheeties eaters I am told.

I have been so disappointed in some of the new builds over the past 7 years or so that I have been on CC and you know the Royal Princess was one of them.

In the shipyard they realized they had forgotten to build aft suites and simply jammed two balcony cabins together and told the people who had booked those cabins to pick something else. Some genius thought a water and light show was a better idea than another full size pool etc. but forgot that water blows around in the wind. The uncovered promenade deck where you can either (a) bake in the heat or (b) sit on soggy cushions or © take a very short walk was a disaster in design.

Yes, WOW WOW WOW to the S Class.

No loungers on the lawn but half a dozen hammocks (superb!) and the two Giant Adirondacks.

Norris

Thank you, once again, for the very helpful information. Hammocks you say? I hadn't heard about hammocks. Now I'm every MORE excited!!!

I must agree with you about some of the less well thought out elements on the Royal Class Princess ships. There are many features that I DO like on those ships, but those you mentioned are definitely problematic, as are the teeny-tiny balconies accompany the majority of the cabins (and don't get me started on the soot issue). ;)

You mentioned something else I am very much looking forward to, and that is the lower passenger-to-space ration, as compared with the Royal Class ships.

Is it too soon to start counting the hours?

Thank you, once again, for the very helpful information. Hammocks you say? I hadn't heard about hammocks. Now I'm every MORE excited!!!

I must agree with you about some of the less well thought out elements on the Royal Class Princess ships. There are many features that I DO like on those ships, but those you mentioned are definitely problematic, as are the teeny-tiny balconies accompany the majority of the cabins (and don't get me started on the soot issue). ;)

You mentioned something else I am very much looking forward to, and that is the lower passenger-to-space ration, as compared with the Royal Class ships.

Is it too soon to start counting the hours?

No, never too soon. I am looking forward to showing you more interior shots today/tonight.

Norris

Down in the cabin again to change for breakfast in Blu

24501731500_f3e5b9239b_b.jpg

24169099214_1d68ac3b1f_b.jpg

Let's eat!

24797281995_c2b831dbfb_b.jpg

24429629939_0093a2d5b2_b.jpg

Again, my Celebrity Yogurt Parfait

24429633529_ffaa5a2f51_b.jpg

Carol's heavier, crunchier Blu yogurt granola parfait

24169138474_52b1e06fed_b.jpg

More....

Norris

My French toast with bacon

24429647709_5e8c4e1bc2_b.jpg

and Carol's omelette, fingerling potatoes, asparagus and English muffin.

24501782600_e273106e39_b.jpg

Another fine Blu breakfast sets us up for the day!

While we have been munching we have arrived at the dock in Basseterre.

I was looking forward to this day as cruisetimetables.com had told me there would be a friend berthing beside us.

24169158734_99acf734b9_b.jpg

24679498532_e3a389eb01_b.jpg

24771146986_0628e0a5e2_b.jpg

24797369165_8bab7c3c68_b.jpg

Thank you for your posting. I just booked my first X cruise for Dec.2017, on the Silhouette, and am looking forward to your reviews.

Welcome Deliver42!

Glad you could join us here.

Norris