First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

We've got about 800 miles to go before we reach Ft. Lauderdale

24762888751_1bdc5dfca6_b.jpg

Tonight's plan is to see the 7 p.m show starring Jayne Curry, followed by our first dinner in Luminae.

For those wondering where Carol has lunch while I am at the buffet-she gets the tv remote and orders room service in the cabin. She's always telling me how promptly it arrives and how good it is when it gets here. The food does look good.

She calls the butler to come take away the dishes afterwards, rather than set them in the hallway.

We take the long trek along the deck 7 corridor to the Silhouette Theater.

24488759569_0dffe96e83_b.jpg

As usual no problem in getting a seat for the 7 p.m show.

24738484182_05c57a241e_b.jpg

Jayne isn't a good singer-she's an exceptionally good singer with power and a wide range. She's from England and tells self-deprecating jokes (about her weight) in a Lancashire accent. Beware- she may put a mic in your face and have you sing a line for her and you are not safe wherever you sit....she ran from the stage and up to the balcony level behind us to get a man to sing. The crowd loved her. Us too. She should be on The Voice. She sings Broadway show tunes and pop standards- big power ballads.

24228191664_0730bf9e78_b.jpg

24488749719_6a5c47b60d_b.jpg

24738499762_e37bbd9c3d_b.jpg

Now that the show is over it's time to eat-in Luminae.

Norris,

You answered the question I was about to ask - sorry you and Carol will not be going to Germany this summer but it looks like you are planning a nice alternative. I had to cancel my June 2nd cruise on Oceania's Riviera - Barcelona to Rome because my husband has to have his knee replaced (again). Here's hoping we can take a vacation at least twice a decade! He owes me a big one once he's well. In the meantime I enjoy your cruises so thank you so much for your awesome reviews.

Diane

Welcome Diane! Thanks for coming aboard.

It's a shame you have to cancel the Oceania cruise but bad knees are no good on a Med cruise-so much to see and a lot of it on foot among crowds of other people.

My sympathies to your husband.

I'm glad you are enjoying my reviews.

Have you sailed Oceania before?

We are just a day into "where or what shall we do now that Germany is off the table?" We are leaning towards a cruise but maybe shying away from Europe as those are our most expensive trips-the cruises moreso than the driving ones.

Our names go into the request bin for next year's Bayreuth Festival, which is the Super Bowl of Wagner opera.

Our plans up in the air but there's no rush to choose. Time for a spreadsheet!

Norris

We didn't make a reservation for Luminae. We just showed up around 8.45

24229531553_a17577d7cb_b.jpg

It's a beautiful room. We love those twinkling lights on the ceiling which glow and dim at random.

24229529123_ca75c20078_b.jpg

Nice charger plates.

24229526863_f2bd336658_b.jpg

The menu is short- I think 4 entrees, 3 of which didn't appeal enough to order.

We both decided on the "Half roasted chicken" but Carol asked if we could just have the breast as we don't eat the dark meat. The waiter said he would ask the chef.

Crab cakes are always welcome....

24488767939_01a9b5b41c_b.jpg

Beautifully plated and tasty but the crab may have scurried off the galley counter and made a run for the border. When I find a crab cake with lump crab in it I usually shout "Eureka!".

Shrimp cocktail never fails to please,even if my focus does.

24560897020_ef2b73406e_b.jpg

More...

Hi Norris,

I'm loving your review!

DH and I have only sailed RCI and X (sadly, none of the ships with grass) but I am considering trying Princess. Which ship would you recommend for a newbie?

Cheers,

Hi and welcome to the review! I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Well it depends where you want to go on a Princess ship. If you just need a ship name then the Ruby would be my choice off the top of my head. We've enjoyed two Caribbean cruises on her, both reviewed. She has two sisters-the Emerald and the Crown.

If going to Alaska or the Panama Canal the Coral is ideal-only 1900 passengers and lots of space to roam. See my review for more.

I haven't sailed on the two newer, bigger ships and have no plans to.

Hope this helps.

Norris

The chef heard our requests for the roast chicken. Thank you! We hate to waste food. Served with spatzle and butternut squash.

24762930951_7442cdc5f1_b.jpg

Tastes like chicken! A good choice, plain and simple and who doesn't like chicken?

Maybe some more salt and pepper, more herbs in the cooking process, would have packed a flavor punch.

Carol's green tea cake with peach mousse and cucumber gelee.

24228236864_076b1b83be_b.jpg

I had chocolate caramel custard according to Carol's notes as I don't remember it at all. Was it this?

24762940161_c206ccd67b_b.jpg

If it was then what on Earth was this?? If it came to the table I (a) photographed it and (b) ate it! Maybe a between -courses amuse of mango sorbet??

24830131696_32874bdb5e_b.jpg

I know that Lisa Lutoff Perlo at one time hoped that Luminae would achieve a Michelin star rating: the service I'd say has a chance. We've eaten in a couple of Michelin star restaurants and there we say OMG! and "you have to try this!!" and remember the meal, where everything was the essence-wow! this is the essence of cauliflower/sea bass/veal/rabbit etc etc....where the flavor is so concentrated and bright and the taste can be remembered years later when you close your eyes-that's Michelin star cooking. Seasoned food, no need for salt or pepper on the table. The right herbs. The plate smears and the plating with tweezers appeal to the eyes sure, but it's the flavor on your tongue, allied with the aroma on the nose that raises a meal to a sensory event. Luminae is nowhere near that level of cooking but it has a solid base that can be built upon. The fact that it is a no-fee restaurant like the MDR and the buffet may make them try a little less hard than if they had to justify a $50 cover like Murano or any fine dining restaurant on shore. Just my opinion which Carol also shares.

24762932901_b774e1a55d_b.jpg

Norris

Bimmer 09 Tonight's plan is to see the 7 p.m show starring Jayne Curry, followed by our first dinner in Luminae.

I love Jane Curry saw on Eclipse Baltic 2014 what a singer did she tell you about her husband being a pro golfer. She did a lunch time show also 1:30 could not get a seat for love or money. She under contract to Celebrity for all of 2016. Its a shame will miss her on our next cruise on Eclipse 6 March 2016.

See has a web site here in UK http://www.jaynecurry.co.uk/biography/

Enjoying following you reviews makes March seem a little closer.

Keep up the good work.

Question is my glass half full or half empty ??:D

Norris, sorry you and Carol did not get tickets to Bayreuth. Sounds like you already have a great alternative plan in the works. Can't go wring with another cruise, I'm thinking. :D

I did check St Maarten for our upcoming cruise. Looks at least at this point like we will be the only ship there, so we shouldn't have any problems getting a taxi. If we do, there's always the water taxi to downtown and grab a taxi from there.

Only one ship in St. Maarten? That is hard to imagine. What is your date?

Only 2 or 3 ships without an Oasis Class ship would be a winner to me.

After Luminae we stopped by Quasar for some karaoke but there were about 8 people there but only one actually singing so we called it a night .

24488792259_84c5a86283_b.jpg

We sat on the balcony for a short while, listening to the wake and looking at the moon.

I planned to be up early in the morning. I had two sea days left and a lot of ship to photograph.

SLEEP

Yes, a deep dark sleep but still I awoke without an alarm shortly after 5 a.m and made my way to Oceanview for the first coffee of the day.

I only get one sunrise a day so I usually make the most of it. The glib phrase, seen one, seen them all, doesn't apply.

24872786726_7c54b06d8e_b.jpg

Although I really don't seem to have a say in the matter, I prefer the sun coming up behind clouds rather than into an empty sky.

24805775461_2135d85e4c_b.jpg

24272278843_fc2c9cba5e_b.jpg

24271051994_6f728423bf_b.jpg

24603724370_7444ae6ff2_b.jpg

Another nice day ahead?

Bimmer 09 Tonight's plan is to see the 7 p.m show starring Jayne Curry, followed by our first dinner in Luminae.

I love Jane Curry saw on Eclipse Baltic 2014 what a singer did she tell you about her husband being a pro golfer. She did a lunch time show also 1:30 could not get a seat for love or money. She under contract to Celebrity for all of 2016. Its a shame will miss her on our next cruise on Eclipse 6 March 2016.

See has a web site here in UK http://www.jaynecurry.co.uk/biography/

Enjoying following you reviews makes March seem a little closer.

Keep up the good work.

Question is my glass half full or half empty ??:D

Welcome back sir!

Nice to see another cruiser who appreciates Jayne Curry. She did mention that her husband is a Pro Golfer.

A quality singer and we are lucky she takes work on the ships.

Cheers!

Norris (glass half full, of course)

No prizes for guessing where I start my day (I'm out of pillow mints)

24270973984_329684f10e_b.jpg

24270993984_3dbed602cf_b.jpg

When I need another cup of coffee and I always do, I step down a deck to the Oceanview Cafe. I love taking my lunch out here and enjoying the outdoor seating.

24603734920_f6687bd4b5_b.jpg

Just inside the buffet doors is what I crave

24872922246_0597a700b1_b.jpg

No- not the Purell dispensers! This......

The Shrine

24781303382_f3cf62a83b_b.jpg

24872929526_c923c01133_b.jpg

I don't have all day to sit around by the lawn drinking coffee...um, actually I do have all day BUT I must move on and wander the ship.

Hi and welcome to the review! I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Well it depends where you want to go on a Princess ship. If you just need a ship name then the Ruby would be my choice off the top of my head. We've enjoyed two Caribbean cruises on her, both reviewed. She has two sisters-the Emerald and the Crown.

If going to Alaska or the Panama Canal the Coral is ideal-only 1900 passengers and lots of space to roam. See my review for more.

I haven't sailed on the two newer, bigger ships and have no plans to.

Hope this helps.

Norris

Thanks! Yes, we really don't care about itineraries at this point, so we are looking at the best representative of what Princess offers. We do like smaller ships, and have spent more time on them in recent years.

Cheers,

Norris, Thanks for doing the review. Your pictures and commentary help me imagine being back on the Silhouette. I am glad you had a good first Celebrity experience and will consider the line in the future. With regard to your question regarding the Millenium, I was on the Connie post-solsticization. It is the same class of ships so I would be happy to try and help. The aft outdoor public areas do not compare, but it is still a great class of ships. Our A1 stateroom was on Deck 11 aft. We loved the easy access to the Sunset Bar and the Oceanview Cafe. Keep up the great work on here! Paul

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yes, we really don't care about itineraries at this point, so we are looking at the best representative of what Princess offers. We do like smaller ships, and have spent more time on them in recent years.

Cheers,

Hi, Ruby is 113,000 tonnes (vs Silhouette 122K) and carries 3300 pax at full load.

If you like a smaller ship Princess has the Pacific (32,000 tonnes and 680 pax) which is a clone of the Ocean shown in my review of 2014.

Ruby is reliably good, especially the MDR food which is the best I have had at sea.

Let me (and the World) know if and when you take the plunge!

Norris

Norris, Thanks for doing the review. Your pictures and commentary help me imagine being back on the Silhouette. I am glad you had a good first Celebrity experience and will consider the line in the future. With regard to your question regarding the Millenium, I was on the Connie post-solsticization. It is the same class of ships so I would be happy to try and help. The aft outdoor public areas do not compare, but it is still a great class of ships. Our A1 stateroom was on Deck 11 aft. We loved the easy access to the Sunset Bar and the Oceanview Cafe. Keep up the great work on here! Paul

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Paul, great to hear from you. I enjoyed our chat on the Cat!

Thanks for the intel on the Connie and the offer to help me know the Millennium better-Beyondships.com is way out of date but then, who can keep up?

We have been talking about Alaska this morning and are focusing on the Star Princess which we haven't sailed. Glacier Bay is the big decider and X doesn't have a permit there. We are Elite on Princess and if we get a suite (currently sold out but we have a PCL concierge who can keep an eye out for us) we will have a raft of perks. I plan on getting a square of astroturf to carry with me to the aft bar as a surrogate Lawn Club.

The Reflection booking for next January still stands and we'll be very excited to set foot on an S Class again.

Thanks for stopping by to say hi!

Norris

Norris---I can't remember--- which is best, northbound or southbound Alaska? Also which is the preferred month, July or August? Yes, I know, I'm being lazy and not doing the due diligence myself. Thank you for your thoughts. Anne.

Also thank you for your Celebrity review. I may follow you there as well.

You know you are a Ship Nerd when you get off your ship to take photos of the stern of your ship and any others that might be nearby.

I've got a fever and the only prescription (apart from more cowbell obviously) is more stern shots!

More...

OK remember you asked for it

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=more+cowbell&view=detail&mid=1C9699A5E527EA979E331C9699A5E527EA979E33&FORM=VIRE1

Norris---I can't remember--- which is best, northbound or southbound Alaska? Also which is the preferred month, July or August? Yes, I know, I'm being lazy and not doing the due diligence myself. Thank you for your thoughts. Anne.

Also thank you for your Celebrity review. I may follow you there as well.

Doing both is best Anne!

We are aiming Northbound this time as we did on Diamond Princess for a couple of reasons.

We start with a shorter flight of 5 hours to Vancouver vs 7 hours to Anchorage.

We have the option of going to Victoria and Butchart gardens on a day trip.

The hotel we stay in takes our luggage to the ship so we don't have to.

We get to sail out of a dazzling harbor and the Van weather has been warm 80's no rain both times we have been there "recently" (i.e within the 4.5 years we have been cruising-we have been to Van before all that)

We get a sea day on the 2nd day in good weather-Carol loves her sea days.

We get to the Glaciers last, rather than first on the Southbound trip

We end up in Alaska, in Anchorage, a nice town for the cruise wind-down and flight home.

We haven't sailed in July but I imagine more kids then vs late August but that's not a major reason to avoid July.

Ideally we should be going in May when there is a chance of snow still in the mountains as we want to do the Alaskan dog-sled ride excursion. In August it will be run over dirt and meadow so not quite so "dream like". We are visiting Houston in May.

Regardless, Alaska is excursion heaven as far as we are concerned and the Princess website is the best we've found for showing you what you are signing up for, even breaking the tour down into how far you walk and on what kind of terrain. It also has videos of the tour highlights and customer interviews (which I know aren't going to say "it was crap") In looking through half a dozen cruiseship websites over the past year Princess has the model site for speed and ease of use. It shows you which cabins are already sold- I picked a couple of suites on the HAL site and it came back with "already sold" after I hit submit-if it's sold don't show it!!

Hope this helps.

Norris

Time for a walk with the camera... the shrubs by the lawn are looking good!

24272348203_d2363946e1_b.jpg

The lawn itself is getting it's daily watering

24781324442_d70a3c709d_b.jpg

24781327492_7e7172bbda_b.jpg

The panoramic elevators live behind the tinted glass

24272369653_848f1facfc_b.jpg

24872956756_a05d494427_b.jpg

As is often the case the Sky Lounge has this sign posted

24805890021_dc325939c7_b.jpg

Another amenity that sets these ships apart is the Solarium for adults only.

24531662549_37f34f8d1b_b.jpg

24271128754_c8ba996c6d_b.jpg

24272391863_839d1f5309_b.jpg

The "leaping waters" fountain changes color

24899278415_c454af2a21_b.jpg

24899281595_eb26fcba59_b.jpg

There's a pool lift to help people into the water

24531677879_427cf8eb42_b.jpg

Solarium is open from 7 a.m to 11 p.m-very generous hours.

Aqua Spa Cafe is in the Solarium so if you need a healthy snack or a smoothie you don't have to walk far. Another nice touch!

24872987856_5122848d3a_b.jpg

I'm on my way to the spa and notice another art piece

24603810850_3f4bfdc5c6_b.jpg

The forward elevators are not panoramic

24872994666_43b92c2638_b.jpg

The Spa and the shops are open from 8 a.m to 10 p.m

24531690489_b3edfd25c6_b.jpg

24272415123_f04ff1eaee_b.jpg

Hello Norris, I am loving your review and photos.

I am now reading your cruise to Rome.

We will be sailing on the Reflection from Rome this June.

Any more photos of the Indian food? (love Indian food)

Thank you Sara

Sara, hi and welcome! Thanks for complimenting the review.

I'm not sure if I have more Indian food photos as there are some photos I haven't seen yet. The Indian food was good and I eat a lot of Indian food. Not Vindaloo Hot (my passion) but that's perfectly understandable. I was never alone at the Indian section....lots of enthusiasts there.

I'm glad to hear you are reading our last Rome cruise-our most memorable I'd say although the ship (crew) wasn't and the weather wasn't. It was the places we saw.

Thanks for stopping by Sara!

Norris, British Gentleman