Port to Port on Hurtigruten

Bessa63

We are planning a trip to Norway this summer. My bf's family hails from Bodo and they want to see the ancestral home and the general area.

The issue here is: we've been contacting Hugrtigruten since early October, via phone and chat and it seems that you cannot just get three days from Bergen to Bodo via the US helpdesk. Unless you want to do the whole northbound or southbound trip, it appears that for late July, we are out of luck. Has anyone else run across this? Just curious.

Thanks!

Beth

We are planning a trip to Norway this summer. My bf's family hails from Bodo and they want to see the ancestral home and the general area.

The issue here is: we've been contacting Hugrtigruten since early October, via phone and chat and it seems that you cannot just get three days from Bergen to Bodo via the US helpdesk. Unless you want to do the whole northbound or southbound trip, it appears that for late July, we are out of luck. Has anyone else run across this? Just curious.

Thanks!

Beth

I don't know about the US helpdesk, but their US website at https://www.hurtigruten.us/ allows you to make point to point bookings. Just click on Find Your Voyage and select the departure and arrival ports. You can book either One-way or Return. You also have the option to book either directly from Bergen to Bodo or Via Kirkenes if you want to take the entire north-bound trip and get off at Bodo on the way south.

I haven't booked one myself, but the website looks like it should be no problem.

Yes, there is a problem, as a lot of ships appear sold out when you do that (and, miracle, there are not sold out anymore when you try to book the whole journey). It is a big issue, and rather worrysome, as it tells me that Hurtigruten is really doing the shift from "service ship" to "tourist ship". There was someone with a similar issue reporting on Tripadvisor (but I wonder whether it could be the same person? http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190502-i934-k9124121-Hurtigruten_cruise_Bergen_to_Bodo-Bergen_Hordaland_Western_Norway.html )

The consensus was that Hurtigruten was holding back on some departures in the hope of sailing the full voyage, but port-to-port would become available later during the year. Did you have any information about that? This is not acceptable, honestly, I would insist by the US office until they accomodate you. Are they doing the same for locals?

Or wait a few weeks. For late July you still have some time for alternate options. For instance you could take the train if planes become too expensive (Minipris tickets go on sale 90 days before departure, so you could wait until that to see if port-to-port become available with Hurtigruten).

The crazy thing is you can pretend to book it on the Norwegian site (and it shows availability when the US site doesn't), but when you get down to paying for it, it flips you over to the US site and you have to start all over again! The only way I think you can be sure is to call the Norwegian office in Norway which is time consuming and expensive (I have never done it, but someone recommended it to me.)

Hurtigruten is changing from being a Coastal service to a Cruise Ship, I am afraid. I am thankful I got to travel on it in "the good old days". My answer is not much help, I know, but at least you know you are not the only one having a problems with the US service, which is clearly a problem. We have taken the train from Oslo to Bodo (via Trondheim) in the winter and loved it, but it is a very long trip!

Thanks all for your answers! My bf's Mom has gone on the TripAdvisor boards, unbeknownst to me, and asked the same question. :) I agree with SarniaLo and the others that they must be in transition because she has contacted them at least 3 times since September and they tell her "we're only booking full voyages now, call back in a a couple of months." Now the site shows that it is booked solid. The only reason for wanting to reserve ahead of time is my bf is physically handicapped and an equipped cabin is better for him.

It appears that we are going to have to do a "Norway in a nutshell" tour in order to see the fjords up close and personal. And take another ferry over to the Lofoten Islands for some further sightseeing around Bodo.

Thanks again!!

Beth

If it turns out to be possible to book Hurtigruten for port-to-port later in the future, then maybe instead of doing Bergen-Bodo do directly Bergen-Svolvaer and save all your sightseeing time for Lofoten. I certainly don't know enough about the Bodo area, but from what I have seen, it doesn't compare to the Lofoten landscape.

For a cabin it is better to book ahead of time anyway. For a short trip (24hours or less) you could just show up, but in the summer for several days I would not risk it, particularly if you have special requirement. The ships are not booked at all ATM, since there are many cabins available when you try to book the full journey for most dates in July. I would say try again and again, and as digitl said put the matter on FB. Let us know how it goes.

If revealing your name on Facebook is an issue, create an account in a 'different' name and make your enquiry. When (if?) they respond, you will be able to message them and reveal your real name there.

Nothing to lose, a lot to gain...

Here's what I just posted on the Hurtigruten USA FB page:

We've been trying to book three days from Bergen to Bodo for months for July 2016. We keep getting the run around from the reservations folks "we're only selling FULL northbound or southbound voyages now, call back in a month or so." Now we check the reservations and it appears to be FULL. What's going on?? Has Hurtigruten abandoned their original mission as a supply/mail ship and only become full journeys for tourism?

I'm anxious for a reply. Since there will be seven adults, we REALLY don't want to wait too long. I'm personally not fond of Europe in the summer, I much prefer the shoulder seasons but this is what the rest of the group wants/needs because of vacation time.

I would post it on their Norwegian page as well (Hurtigruten Norg) as that may reach someone with more intimate 'head office' knowledge of what can be done. They may also have the ability to pull any strings that may need to be pulled!

• 2 weeks later...