Insurance coverage for Medical Evacuation in the Eastern Caribbean

dis2cruise

not that I'm hoping anything would ever happen but I see some Insurance companies give

1 million dollar coverage some offer $250,000 coverage what is adequate for the Caribbean ?

$250,000 is more than adequate as is $100,000. Very few evacuations ever exceed $50,000 and most cost far less. Some insurance companies will use a high evac limit as a marketing ploy...because they are well aware that even a private air/ambulance/jet has a limited cost. And this is particularly true in the Caribbean where it is relatively close to the USA/Canada. A bigger problem is if you need evacuated from the center of Africa or parts of Asia.

You should also read the fine print in the policies. Most evacs are at the discretion of the medical staff and insurance company......not the person who needs evacuated. If you want more control over evacuation you might want to consider a policy from MedjetAssist.

Hank

This website provides a straight forward comparison of travel insurance policies offered by the top 10 rates companies-- CSA leads it.

http://travel-insurance-review.toptenreviews.com/

Be careful with very general comparisons like this.

What matters in comparing policies/insurers is comparing the specific policy terms for what *you* need, from each company.

For example, some travelers need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions, and this will make some policies "better" or "worse" for them, vs. what other travelers might find preferable.

That's just one type of specific situation...

We've needed to get policies from two different companies due to different travel circumstances for one of the trips (when the company we regularly used wasn't going to work).

• 2 weeks later...

We think WHERE you can be evacuated is more important in some locations. If to the closest medical facility, it may not be where you would want to spend the next week getting emergency medical care.

Thus, in some locations, we want "to the hospital of our choice" coverage.

But that's us.;)

not that I'm hoping anything would ever happen but I see some Insurance companies give

1 million dollar coverage some offer $250,000 coverage what is adequate for the Caribbean ?

Hi dis2cruise,

Don't let those high limits scare you or convince you that the policy is better because of the high limit.

No matter where in the Caribbean you are, you won't need more than $100,000 in Emergency Medical Evacuation coverage. The most expensive Evacuation I've seen was $126,000 from S. Africa to Minnesota.

In December I saw an Evacuation from Panama to Florida (the man had a heart attack) that was $38,000.

I hope this helps.

Steve