South American Currency

chloes nana

We used US$. LA to NY 48 days. Our private tours were pre-paid, we tipped in US$. Our ship tours were billed to our account and thus to credit card, we tipped in US$.

All the souvenirs we easily purchased in US$. In Argentina the street money changers will pay a premium for US$ if you are doing an exchange for larger amounts than incidentals. I bought items in Argentina, Chile, Peru, Ecuador... all dollars and everybody was happy.

If you plan to use metro in BsAs you may need local currency, I don't think you can use credit cards in the ticket machines. But in BsAs they are happy to get dollars so you will not have trouble changing currency there.

Wonderful cruise! Enjoy, m--

Ecuador uses US$ as their currency.

In BA, how are you getting to the ship? It is true that most people are very happy to get USD but if taking a taxi you may be better off with ARS. If you are spending any time in BA before the cruise you may want some ARS for pocket money and/or mass transit.

For Chile having some Pesos would be helpful if you are doing independent or private tours that take you away from the most "Touristy" areas. The local coffee shop, for example, may much prefer pesos or charge much more in USD.

Sounds like a great trip - have fun!

For Chile get local currency although some places will take USA currency.

In Argentina do not exchange money on the street.

Keith

Why is that? They gave very good exchange rates, better than the banks. It seemed quick and easy and safe, the thing to do. What am I missing? Thanks for the further information. m--

In BA, how are you getting to the ship? It is true that most people are very happy to get USD but if taking a taxi you may be better off with ARS. If you are spending any time in BA before the cruise you may want some ARS for pocket money and/or mass transit.

For Chile having some Pesos would be helpful if you are doing independent or private tours that take you away from the most "Touristy" areas. The local coffee shop, for example, may much prefer pesos or charge much more in USD.

Sounds like a great trip - have fun!

thanks! I figure if I take $50 worth of AGP and $50 worth of CLP I should be good.

To each their own. I took a 49 day South American Cruise and went to a Local Currency exchange at home and got money for each of the counties visited. I simply got about $50 or $100 US dollars worth of the local money and got it in denominations worth approx $10 US. The only place where I did a local exchange was Argentina because doing the exchange locally was a much better deal. By doing this you really didn't have to speak the language. Simply hand them the bill and accept whatever change they give you. Lot's of fun buying beer, soft drinks or whatever from the vendors.

Why is that? They gave very good exchange rates, better than the banks. It seemed quick and easy and safe, the thing to do. What am I missing? Thanks for the further information. m--

1) Its illegal

2) You may get ripped off

3) You may get counterfeit pesos

1) Its illegal

2) You may get ripped off

3) You may get counterfeit pesos

In November of 2015 Argentina had a national election and the new president, Mauricio Macri, removed the currency controls. The current exchange rate of 13.92 pesos to the dollar is now the same as exchanging money "on the street."