Follow up on my PITA issue on the Escape

SuiteCruiser

Some of you will recall that I had an issue on the Escape Transatlantic where my skin was burned badly by some kind of chemical in the tub. I fought with Guest Services onboard to pay for my treatment in the infirmary and eventually they did.

Late November I sent a letter to NCL Guest Services saying all of the great things about the TA on the Escape and outlinging my issue, I heard back a few days later that they were sorry this had happened and they sent it off to their claims department. They said to wait 6-8 weeks for a response. Well, it's now 9 weeks and no response. I have called several times and left messages and no call backs.

I want to know what the chemical was, what the follow up was and some acknowledgement of what happened.

Any advice? I'm really getting frustrated.

JMO, but I would not expect they are going to be forthcoming with any information unless forced to. To tell you what chemical was in your tub would be an admission there was a chemical in your tub that may/did burn your skin. :eek:

if you would kindly entertain these following questions, I may have an answer or at the very least lead in the proper direction.

1) What tub are we talking about, hot tub, in room tub, spa?

2) Was anyone else who was in the tub also affected

3) Do you or have you ever been diagnosed with contact dermatitis?

4) Do you have any known food or non seasonal allergies?

5) Do you have pics of the affected area(s)

I ask these questions for very personal and specific reasons. While i can be an A-Hole at times, I also have a wife and child who suffer from extreme allergies. My wife can touch a drop of water, in a pool or other chlorinated or chemically treated water where the PH is slightly off, and she will get severe contact reaction that mimics a sever sun or chemical burn.

I am not playing games or trying to be cute. I am honestly trying to see if you may have a similar condition, that can appear out of thin air. Without warning or prior issues.

I hope if it was something as explainable as some sort of chemical agent in the tub it was a mistake by someone employed by NCL. However, If its the former, an allergist visit may be in your future.

I hope this info is useful to you.

All the best,

G55

if you would kindly entertain these following questions, I may have an answer or at the very least lead in the proper direction.

I ask these questions for very personal and specific reasons. While i can be an A-Hole at times, I also have a wife and child who suffer from extreme allergies. My wife can touch a drop of water, in a pool or other chlorinated or chemically treated water where the PH is slightly off, and she will get severe contact reaction that mimics a sever sun or chemical burn.

I am not playing games or trying to be cute. I am honestly trying to see if you may have a similar condition, that can appear out of thin air. Without warning or prior issues.

I hope if it was something as explainable as some sort of chemical agent in the tub it was a mistake by someone employed by NCL. However, If its the former, an allergist visit may be in your future.

All the best,

G55

I believe this is the nicest post I've ever read from you and I'm not being sarcastic.

Edited by janpo

All the best,

G55

Thank you and I know youre being genuine. This happened in the bath tub in my cabin, I was in the tub by myself and have never had any allergies of any kind.

There are pics of the damage, there was a report filed onboard including a visit to the infirmary. The doctor said they were chemical burns, the skin all came off the day after the bath.The tub itself had some kind of non slip coating and that was removed in the area of contact, there are also pics of that. My butt cheeks are forever impressed into the tub.

For a month afterward I couldn't sit straight up, had to either slouch or put my feet upon a chair to change the angle.

Note this was an family ocean view and I was likely the first person in the tub since it was installed. It happened on the TA.

After 9 weeks I would escalate the issue with a written, certified letter to the CEO at corporate. Yes, it will get passed to a functionary, but those tend to get attention.

Thanks so you think snail mail is the way to go? I can send it next time we cross the border or send it courier from here.

I believe this is the nicest post I've ever read from you and I'm not being sarcastic.

Well this post hits close to home. I'm not trying to make friends or get brownie points. However, it's a very strange problem the OP described.

Living with the severity of my wife susceptibility to allergic reactions that she has suffered.

It's only humane to share personal insight, as it may help a fellow human being from suffering.

Like I said in my earlier post. I'm outspoken, I probably hold the record for removed posts. But this is no joke.

Thank you and I know youre being genuine. This happened in the bath tub in my cabin, I was in the tub by myself and have never had any allergies of any kind.

There are pics of the damage, there was a report filed onboard including a visit to the infirmary. The doctor said they were chemical burns, the skin all came off the day after the bath.The tub itself had some kind of non slip coating and that was removed in the area of contact, there are also pics of that. My butt cheeks are forever impressed into the tub.

For a month afterward I couldn't sit straight up, had to either slouch or put my feet upon a chair to change the angle.

Note this was an family ocean view and I was likely the first person in the tub since it was installed. It happened on the TA.

Well in an odd way I'm glad this was isolated. Did not want to pry into your personal life. I hope NCL makes restitution for your suffering.

Oh, when I asked if you had pics. I should gave stated, I don't want to see them. But to show your personal physician.

Well in an odd way I'm glad this was isolated. Did not want to pry into your personal life. I hope NCL makes restitution for your suffering.

Oh, when I asked if you had pics. I should gave stated, I don't want to see them. But to show your personal physician.

LOL, I KNOW you don't want to see them :) My friend took them and now we'll be friends forever ;)

She used my camera as well, so no one else has to accidentally see them, not pretty.

I guess I'll try the letter to the CEO route, I'm annoyed that they didn't take the time to look at it over 2 months.

Thanks again for your kind words and so sorry that your family deals with this all of the time, I can't imagine.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I am sorry that this happened to you, I do not believe that you will receive the response you are asking for from the claims department. They are unable to comment on any claims regarding the incident that occurred, cause or corrective action without legal action.

Did you complete an incident report onboard the ship? It was explained to me that the onboard incident report is the tracking method for contact with the claims department. I was requested to email the claims department with the incident number from the form throughout my daughters hospitalization until we were back home. I fully expected a bill from the cruise line and medical providers onboard that never arrived, all of her other bills did which thankfully our insurance covered.

We received a response from the claims department within a week of arriving home after my daughters discharge and additional week near the hospital we were medically evacuated to with the right level of care after exceeding the capabilities of the first hospital.

The email offered a small credit that we were not expecting and were grateful to receive.. We were also never charged the passenger vessel service act fines despite being told by the coast guard investigator that unfortunately yes the ship was fined.

9 weeks does seem excessive for a response although the first message appears to address that they did apologize that the incident occurred. Unfortunately that may be the best answer you will get, if the medical treatment onboard was covered by the cruise line that can be considered compensation for the incident.

It was a little over a year that we were in communication between claims desk and ourselves making sure that all paperwork etc complete. Including documentation that we could not continue on the cruise due to my daughters injury. I was told that was for the ship to appeal the PVSA fines although when I followed up with the coast guard they said there was no appeal and that the cruise line had the option to pass the fines along to the passenger. Her claims file was not closed until 9 months post injury when she was released from the care of her neurosurgeon and neurologist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of you will recall that I had an issue on the Escape Transatlantic where my skin was burned badly by some kind of chemical in the tub. I fought with Guest Services onboard to pay for my treatment in the infirmary and eventually they did.

Late November I sent a letter to NCL Guest Services saying all of the great things about the TA on the Escape and outlinging my issue, I heard back a few days later that they were sorry this had happened and they sent it off to their claims department. They said to wait 6-8 weeks for a response. Well, it's now 9 weeks and no response. I have called several times and left messages and no call backs.

I want to know what the chemical was, what the follow up was and some acknowledgement of what happened.

Any advice? I'm really getting frustrated.

It's a typical claims tactic. Insurance companies ignore you and put you off hoping you go away... working in the insurance industry (other side) most people do... I had a similar experience when I was eating in a pay restaurant and while eating desert, there were shards of glass in the pudding and I bit into it breaking one of my teeth... The cruise line ignored it and ignored my letters, I finally googled Miami cruise ship attorney and found an attorney to represent me... As the bill was several thousand dollars.. as I had to get a crown, etc. the attorney advised me that under the laws (forgot the name) one has exactly one year to file suit before the statute of limitations expires... Good luck!

Edited by hartwickds

I am sorry that this happened to you, I do not believe that you will receive the response you are asking for from the claims department. They are unable to comment on any claims regarding the incident that occurred, cause or corrective action without legal action.

Did you complete an incident report onboard the ship? It was explained to me that the onboard incident report is the tracking method for contact with the claims department. I was requested to email the claims department with the incident number from the form throughout my daughters hospitalization until we were back home. I fully expected a bill from the cruise line and medical providers onboard that never arrived, all of her other bills did which thankfully our insurance covered.

We received a response from the claims department within a week of arriving home after my daughters discharge and additional week near the hospital we were medically evacuated to with the right level of care after exceeding the capabilities of the first hospital.

The email offered a small credit that we were not expecting and were grateful to receive.. We were also never charged the passenger vessel service act fines despite being told by the coast guard investigator that unfortunately yes the ship was fined.

9 weeks does seem excessive for a response although the first message appears to address that they did apologize that the incident occurred. Unfortunately that may be the best answer you will get, if the medical treatment onboard was covered by the cruise line that can be considered compensation for the incident.

It was a little over a year that we were in communication between claims desk and ourselves making sure that all paperwork etc complete. Including documentation that we could not continue on the cruise due to my daughters injury. I was told that was for the ship to appeal the PVSA fines although when I followed up with the coast guard they said there was no appeal and that the cruise line had the option to pass the fines along to the passenger. Her claims file was not closed until 9 months post injury when she was released from the care of her neurosurgeon and neurologist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, what a terrible ordeal you went through! I did file an incident report onboard at the doctor's suggestion. Security came and interviewed me and took pictures of the bath tub.

I have a claim number and have been using it in my documentation. I'm not looking for much from them, but I do want a response.

I hope your daughter is okay now, that must have been a terrifying experience.

It's a typical claims tactic. Insurance companies ignore you and put you off hoping you go away... working in the insurance industry (other side) most people do... I had a similar experience when I was eating in a pay restaurant and while eating desert, there were shards of glass in the pudding and I bit into it breaking one of my teeth... The cruise line ignored it and ignored my letters, I finally googled Miami cruise ship attorney and found an attorney to represent me... As the bill was several thousand dollars.. as I had to get a crown, etc. the attorney advised me that under the laws (forgot the name) one has exactly one year to file suit before the statute of limitations expires... Good luck!

Thanks hartwickds, I don't plan on filing a law suit as I'm not out of pocket, just dealt with a fair amount of pain until it all healed.

You also had a nasty experience, sorry to hear that!

In this specific case, I think its worth a shot. Specifically snail mail where receipt is tracked. It's a method I reserve for fairly significant issues and has worked well for me in the past.

Thanks so you think snail mail is the way to go? I can send it next time we cross the border or send it courier from here.

Thanks hartwickds, I don't plan on filing a law suit as I'm not out of pocket, just dealt with a fair amount of pain until it all healed.

You also had a nasty experience, sorry to hear that!

I am not a litigious person by any means......but if you suffered a fair amount of pain I would think a lawsuit might be warranted

And it would get them to respond to your letters instead of ignoring you like they seem to be doing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

I would bet it was the solvent in the adhesive for the non-slip coating, not properly cured, or glycolic acid which is used in some coating systems.

It certainly wasn't applied according to specifications.

Hope you get some answers.

Thanks, I appreciate that and appreciated you chiming in on the original thread, good to have someone in the know with a reasonable explanation.

In this specific case, I think its worth a shot. Specifically snail mail where receipt is tracked. It's a method I reserve for fairly significant issues and has worked well for me in the past.

I'm not sure how easy it is to send certified mail to the US from Canada, but if I sent it by courier, I would have the signed receipt as well. Will look into it to find out if it's possible.

Thanks!

FYI- when I wrote them about a problem I had in October it actually took them 3 months before I heard back from them. They said that they verified the problem was reported on the ship and gave me a OBC which I was happy with. But it take 3 months.

Harriet

Good luck. You might as well hire an attorney in Miami, plan on at least two or three trips down there at your expense, and plan on the attorney taking between 33% and 40% of whatever you end up winning.

Good luck. You might as well hire an attorney in Miami, plan on at least two or three trips down there at your expense, and plan on the attorney taking between 33% and 40% of whatever you end up winning.

Not sure where you are coming up with this? Did I ever say I was suing NCL?

Ironically I have a friend in FLL who is a personal injury lawyer, if I wanted to go that route I could have done that.

Edited by SuiteCruiser