Powerstrips and essentials for cruise newbies

Thepominlaw

Thanks for the clarifications about the proper terms to use & I completely agree that with your help we're now know about this danger.

The only water mist used in flightdeck firefighting was from the wand being moved laterally behind the sailors with the AFFF hose so they could walk into a fire as a team to extract any casualties.

The water mist, or Hi-Fog system used today in many engineering spaces is probably the greatest step forward since CO2 or AFFF. It differs from a sprinkler system in that it propels the water at such a high velocity that the nozzle creates 3000 droplets from the same water that is in one drop from a sprinkler. Think of the "cooling arches" at theme parks and sporting events. This water blankets the entire zone it is designed to cover (in engine rooms, it is subdivided into each separate engine), and does not harm running machinery, electronics or electrical equipment, and does not pose a threat to the fire teams like CO2 does. Moreover, it removes the need for the second team to be using a low velocity applicator to protect the primary team, so resources are better utilized. At NCL, we were required to discharge each zone once a year, so we would co-ordinate this with an engine room fire drill, so the fire teams could learn to operate in the Hi-Fog environment.

The water mist, or Hi-Fog system used today in many engineering spaces is probably the greatest step forward since CO2 or AFFF. It differs from a sprinkler system in that it propels the water at such a high velocity that the nozzle creates 3000 droplets from the same water that is in one drop from a sprinkler. Think of the "cooling arches" at theme parks and sporting events. This water blankets the entire zone it is designed to cover (in engine rooms, it is subdivided into each separate engine), and does not harm running machinery, electronics or electrical equipment, and does not pose a threat to the fire teams like CO2 does. Moreover, it removes the need for the second team to be using a low velocity applicator to protect the primary team, so resources are better utilized. At NCL, we were required to discharge each zone once a year, so we would co-ordinate this with an engine room fire drill, so the fire teams could learn to operate in the Hi-Fog environment.

Thanks & that's reassuring to know.

I prefer your cooling arches description which was what the water misting wand behind the AFFF hose team provided...it was quite an experience & we hoped they wouldn't drop the wand while surrounded by flames.

Now it's back to the subject of cruise ship hazards for me however those Navy experiences will always be in the back of my mind while at sea.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Along this same line, I am assuming that small coffee pots and/or heating coils are also not allowed?

Here is what is stated in their Safety Document located in the Cruise Personalizer:

"The use of non-thermostatically controlled kettles and water heaters, together with the use of irons, is not permitted in your stateroom; please do not bring this type of equipment with you".

https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

One of the light switches by the bed typically lights the area near the bathroom. Also remember there are nightstand lamps.

A little trick we've discovered - those electronic toys put out more than sufficient light to navigate by at night, just by activating the screen (we use our cell phones). this should be more than enough illumination to navigate to the necessary.

The disadvantage of the night light in the bathroom is that the door will be closed unless you really like the sound of a door opening and closing as the ship gently rocks. There's a little gap at the bottom of the door, but the night light would do you no good until you are inside the bathroom. Better to use the electronic toy.

We often have kids travel with us but even when we're solo...our luggage typically has glow stick style brackets inside. I discovered they make amazing "night lights" on a cruise. They don't use up the precious Electrical outlet real estate, they aren't too bright (I can't sleep with it too bright) and they can go anywhere in the cabin you need. My pick in the cabins is along a floor I worry about stubbing my toe;) I crack one glow bracelet a night and it's perfect. You can get them cheap at dollar stores!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='vanchelle']We often have kids travel with us but even when we're solo...our luggage typically has glow stick style brackets inside. I discovered they make amazing "night lights" on a cruise. They don't use up the precious Electrical outlet real estate, they aren't too bright (I can't sleep with it too bright) and they can go anywhere in the cabin you need. My pick in the cabins is along a floor I worry about stubbing my toe;) I crack one glow bracelet a night and it's perfect. You can get them cheap at dollar stores!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Great idea! :)