Powerstrips and essentials for cruise newbies

Thepominlaw

A Belkin surge protector isn't an extension cord but a unit that plugs into the socket directly & they have been seen by the security people many times with nothing said

Subtle distinction.

I guess tea lights are ok, as princess only mentions candles...

I'm so glad, I stumbled upon this thread. I had no idea about surge protector issues. I had bought a power block to get some extra outlets buy saw it did have surge protection.

I was surprised at how hard it is to find something without. I ended up with a couple of one to three plugs. No lights, switches or anything so I'm confident there's no protection.

I'd hate to have my strip confiscated, but more so I'd hate to put myself and thousands of others unknowingly at risk!

I'm so glad, I stumbled upon this thread. I had no idea about surge protector issues. I had bought a power block to get some extra outlets buy saw it did have surge protection.

I was surprised at how hard it is to find something without. I ended up with a couple of one to three plugs. No lights, switches or anything so I'm confident there's no protection.

I'd hate to have my strip confiscated, but more so I'd hate to put myself and thousands of others unknowingly at risk!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhQminE8WoHy-s_ZOiR7qyvRlifLkqfSwS0dLZGB1UF6oYcnPJFA

I had no idea what a huge safety issue this is either. I bought a travel power strip outlet for my upcoming cruise. Although it is not advertised as a surge protector, it does say that it has over current, over temperature and output short circuit protection that I would assume will put it into the category of do not bring. Thanks to all of you who have enlightened me and others who will listen to your advice on this subject. :)

Where exactly is that information found on the Princess website? It would be a nice reference to have.

Brian...here's a link to that info:

https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

Hi. I put the link in my original post.

As far as I can tell, you only see the link from

the personalizer when you have a cruise booked.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49126261&postcount=40

Thanks for posting this info which clearly states surge protected devices are not allowed. A couple of weeks ago that wasn't in the cruise contract...why doesn't Princess add that prohibition where everyone can view it? :confused:

People like you shouldn't cruise, you also should be denied boarding. I hope I'm never on a cruise with you or anyone like you. With 3000 people on board there will be always be some stupid people among them. You just don't get it the rules are for everyone else not you. You don't care about anything but yourself and other people don't matter.

If they were serious about not allowing the surge protectors they would bar people from boarding the ship with them similar to irons, coffee pots & heating coils. Since they don't, obviously they're not considered that dangerous.

Just think about how many people do bring them on the ships.

It must be at least 3 or 4 dozen on every cruise. :eek:

You should't cruise on any line if you feel it's that dangerous a matter.

Regardless of whether or not they "have been seen" by untrained security personnel or not, it amazes me that people will disregard the warnings presented by the USCG and National Fire Protection Agency. No surge protector of any kind, make, manufacturer, or style should ever be used onboard a ship. As I've stated many times in the past, if they were needed, why don't the ship's systems use them for protection? Answer, they don't work, and they are a hazard.

Thanks to you & the others who have made me aware of the dangers of surge protectors such as my Belkin one which many passengers use by being unaware of the dangers it creates.

I blame Princess for not clearly stating this prohibition in their Passage Contract which only directs passengers to a list of prohibited dangerous weapons & not dangers to the ship. It's beyond ridiculous that they only say that in a letter from Jan Swartz that only a few of us on CC are even aware of its existence!

I spent a couple years working on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and I am very cautious about anything that can be hazardous on a ship. I went through flight deck & below deck firefighting training and it was a big eye opener for me & nothing I will ever forget.

But it really bothers me that Princess has allowed this hazardous situation to continue & to only have it in a letter from Swartz. If that information is any place else I've been unable to find it & that's unacceptable to me.

Once again I am very grateful to you and to all of those who have posted here to enlighten us about the dangers of surge protectors which I will never use again on any ship. Since Princess doesn't clearly tell passengers about the dangers maybe they would listen to experts like you about these dangers so that all passengers are made fully aware of the dangers & not merely a few of us participating on this Cruise Critic thread! :mad:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhQminE8WoHy-s_ZOiR7qyvRlifLkqfSwS0dLZGB1UF6oYcnPJFA

Me too!

Regardless of whether or not they "have been seen" by untrained security personnel or not, it amazes me that people will disregard the warnings presented by the USCG and National Fire Protection Agency. No surge protector of any kind, make, manufacturer, or style should ever be used onboard a ship. As I've stated many times in the past, if they were needed, why don't the ship's systems use them for protection? Answer, they don't work, and they are a hazard.

Just curious.. Do you know how many fires have been attributed to surge protection devices?

Just curious.. Do you know how many fires have been attributed to surge protection devices?

This issue has been beaten on many threads both here and on Celebrity (the two lines that I follow). On one of the Princess threads, a passenger wrote that a surge protector started a fire in their cabin. Luckily, he wrote, they had returned to their cabin before there was serious damage. I wish that I had bookmarked that post, but I did not.

This is kind of like irons, everyone knows that they are dangerous, but try to find one case where they have caused a cruise ship fire. I will save you some time; never. Actually, you will have a hard time even finding where an iron has caused a house fire at least in the last 50-100 years. But, do you want your shipmates to have one? Probably not.

Could they make a ship lose power ? Golden princess did when I was on her Nov/Dec some here that were on her said for 3 hours at that I didn't notice at the time cause I was doing the ultimate tour but we knew something wasn't right when we were in the control room found out later when the power went off while we were in the galley that there was a problem and finished tour except the bridge and found ship stationary

Edited by Hawka

This issue has been beaten on many threads both here and on Celebrity (the two lines that I follow). On one of the Princess threads, a passenger wrote that a surge protector started a fire in their cabin. Luckily, he wrote, they had returned to their cabin before there was serious damage. I wish that I had bookmarked that post, but I did not.

<snip>

here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47165818&postcount=7

Brian...here's a link to that info:

https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

Thanks for posting this info which clearly states surge protected devices are not allowed. A couple of weeks ago that wasn't in the cruise contract...why doesn't Princess add that prohibition where everyone can view it? :confused:

There are about a dozen pdf's available in the personalizer after you have

booked a cruise.

I've been on a lot of cruises, and I never read them all.

I only saw this, because someone mentioned something else in

the document, and I read the entire thing.

Now that I know princess says they are prohibited, I simply won't bring one.

Others have explained in great detail the why's (pun, get it?) of the

situation.

Edited by pablo222

No, I don't. Given the international nature of the maritime industry, there is no overall clearing house for statistics like this. The USCG Safety Notice came about because of two separate fires aboard US flag ships. I have no idea what the statistics are for the NFPA, but they have found it to be sufficiently significant that they have issued their ruling UL1449 as far back as 1986.

As for appliances causing house fires, a quick Google search reveals that in 1998 the Consumer Product Safety Commission found that 700 fires were started by hair dryers and curling irons. Now, Princess allows those, so they must be safe, huh? In this case, it's all in how you use them.

Here's a fatal house fire caused by an iron, in the US, from 2014:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=21&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-p8yDpYbLAhWCQiYKHVFEDuA4FBAWCBswAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ksl.com%2F%3Fnid%3D148%26sid%3D29683639&usg=AFQjCNEiiPtUHc9B9_qGVYs-pBzwK8mjDQ

Cabin fires onboard ship are less common to bring wide attention due to the array of fire detection and suppression systems that exist in passenger cabins then in the typical home.

I know that Mr. Coffee almost went out of business from lawsuits back in the '80's (I believe that's the time frame) due to failures of the "auto-off" switch in their coffee makers. When we have been doing the routine testing of the ship supplied coffee makers, we had one go up in flames in the electrician's shop.

I blame Princess for not clearly stating this prohibition in their Passage Contract which only directs passengers to a list of prohibited dangerous weapons & not dangers to the ship.

Does it matter? As can be seen from this thread,

lots of people don't think any rules apply to themselves.

This should be added to the 'what kind of people will I meet on my cruise?'

There are about a dozen pdf's available in the personalizer after you have

booked a cruise.

I've been on a lot of cruises, and I never read them all.

I only saw this, because someone mentioned something else in

the document, and I read the entire thing.

Now that I know princess says they are prohibited, I simply won't bring one.

Others have explained in great detail the why's (pun, get it?) of the

situation.

I doubt if many passengers have read all of the PDFs in the CP nor the legalese in the Passage Contract.

Under the Travel Itinerary section of the CP there are Important Notices. It's much easier to comprehend the info & if they can warn passengers about their smoking policy then they need to add info about surge protected devices (and other dangerous electrical devices) being prohibited. I think the prudent thing to do is to not use any surge protected device which you or I will never do again.

Does it matter? As can be seen from this thread,

lots of people don't think any rules apply to themselves.

This should be added to the 'what kind of people will I meet on my cruise?'

True & it's sad that some will only abide by this safety rule if it's enforced & when not enforced they interpret that as making it okay....wrong!

Even some private pilots have an attitude that because they've done something improper before & nothing happened then they'll continue doing it until there's a problem. Just like those who doubt that a surge protected device would ever cause a problem, once is too much for me.

The firefighting training the Navy gave me has firmly entrenched in my brain the hazards of a shipboard fire at sea. The below deck training required wearing an OBA (oxygen breathing apparatus) to breath & with the thick black smoke it was nearly impossible to even see my hand in front of my face. Modern cruise ships have automated firefighting systems which hopefully will never be required to be used on any cruise ship but it does happen.

The Star Princess had a major balcony fire & the probable cause was a cigarette thrown from a balcony. Maybe that was a one time occurrence but I don't want to be a reason for a fire by using a prohibited surge protected device. Even if it's never happened, being prohibited it's too risky to take a chance and I've purchased a non surge protected device.

And hopefully I won't be on a ship with anyone who's willing to ignore the Princess prohibition of surge protected devices.

Hi all,

Slowly gathering items for a cruise from Fremantle to Singapore aboard the Dawn. Putting together a shopping last at present and would appreciate any essential items you bring?

Also can I bring along a power strip it says to check first as some lines prohibit such items. Could do with one as between us there will be 2 phones, 1 tablet and 2 cameras that will need charging.

Booked in an interior cabin is a night light needed, surely there would be light switches within reach of the bed?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Here is the power strip that I use that has four sockets and a LED that gives off just enough dim light in the cabin

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9YN2M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HED2BIK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%201410_zpsuzznhfbl.jpg

Howard

Edited by hm9912

Here is the power strip that I use that has four sockets and a LED that gives off just enough dim light in the cabin

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9YN2M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HED2BIK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Howard

Yes, that Monster product does not have a surge suppressor, but you have to watch it, because some of their products are surge protected.

Yes, that Monster product does not have a surge suppressor, but you have to watch it, because some of their products are surge protected.

I also purchased a Monster non surge protected device from Amazon.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The firefighting training the Navy gave me has firmly entrenched in my brain the hazards of a shipboard fire at sea. The below deck training required wearing an OBA (oxygen breathing apparatus) to breath & with the thick black smoke it was nearly impossible to even see my hand in front of my face. Modern cruise ships have automated firefighting systems which hopefully will never be required to be used on any cruise ship but it does happen.

The Star Princess had a major balcony fire & the probable cause was a cigarette thrown from a balcony. Maybe that was a one time occurrence but I don't want to be a reason for a fire by using a prohibited surge protected device. Even if it's never happened, being prohibited it's too risky to take a chance and I've purchased a non surge protected device.

And hopefully I won't be on a ship with anyone who's willing to ignore the Princess prohibition of surge protected devices.

While the cruise ships do have water mist and CO2 systems in the engine rooms, and sprinklers in the hotel areas, these are all, with the exception of the CO2 system, fire suppression systems, not fire fighting systems. They are designed to control the fire until the guys and gals on the business end of the fire hose get there. Nothing will ever replace the human on the hose for shipboard fires. CO2, while an extremely effective agent, is dangerous to use as it will kill any unprotected people in the space, and it will shut down all power generation equipment.

And to many maybe a little semantics, but to me a significant difference, the Star Princess was not "probably" caused by a cigarette, but was "suspected" of being caused by a cigarette, since no evidence pointing to any one cause was found.

If I can get a few CC'ers every day to stop using surge protectors, I feel that my time here is worthwhile.

While the cruise ships do have water mist and CO2 systems in the engine rooms, and sprinklers in the hotel areas, these are all, with the exception of the CO2 system, fire suppression systems, not fire fighting systems. They are designed to control the fire until the guys and gals on the business end of the fire hose get there. Nothing will ever replace the human on the hose for shipboard fires. CO2, while an extremely effective agent, is dangerous to use as it will kill any unprotected people in the space, and it will shut down all power generation equipment.

And to many maybe a little semantics, but to me a significant difference, the Star Princess was not "probably" caused by a cigarette, but was "suspected" of being caused by a cigarette, since no evidence pointing to any one cause was found.

If I can get a few CC'ers every day to stop using surge protectors, I feel that my time here is worthwhile.

Thanks for the clarifications about the proper terms to use & I completely agree that with your help we now know about this danger...thanks again.

The only water mist we used in flightdeck firefighting was from the wand being moved laterally behind the sailors with the AFFF hose so we could walk into the flames as a team to extract any casualties.

Edited by Astro Flyer