Carnival vs Royal Caribbean

rnmmom

Hi - We've been on 2 Carnival cruises and are planning our next cruise in January 2017. We're looking at both Royal Caribbean and Carnival - never been on RCL - is there truly that much of a difference? If so what are some of the benefits/better on RCL? Any comments or suggestions? (Cruising out of Galveston) Thanks!

It might help to list the ship on RCI you are thinking about cruising on, and the ships you have sailed on Carnival.

I am Emerald on RCI and Platinum on Carnival, but the class of ships really make a difference. I really like the Voyager and Radiance class ships on RCI and Spirit class on Carnival.

RCCL ships - especially the newest ones - Oasis and Quantum class are worlds away from anything that Carnival has yet. I've been on the Magic and Breeze and also the Splendor. Let me give you a suggestion: book on one of the Oasis class ships: Oasis, Allure or Anthem. These are 3 of the best ships in the world right now and I think you will absolutely floored when you board and see how amazing these ships are. Also they have great spectacular entertainment. It's a completely different kind of ship than anything Carnival currently has. This is not to say that Carnival is bad, only different. The Oasis class ships showcase the things which RCCL is best at. After that I would suggest you consider a cruse on one of the newest NCL ships, as 2017 is so far out, I don't know what it will be then. Escape is the current newest. Again, these are different from Carnival but really great. With NCL you want a spa cabin - very important to remember that. What I have found over the years is that every cruise line has its pros and cons. There isn't a perfect one or one that is terrible either, they are just different. As you try different lines you will learn what you like and what you don't like and that will help you figure out what cruises to try in the future. Be fearless in making your choices. I've been on everything from a river cruise to an ocean liner in an owner's suite - every cruise I have been on has been very good with a few that have been absolutely unbelievably awesome and unforgettable! With the Oasis class ships, when my husband and I got off, we looked at each other and said "Let's do that again!" That's how great it was! And we went back last year on Allure and it was a great cruise again! I'd go again in a heartbeat! But for us, this year it is the NCL Breakaway and a poker cruise my husband won on Carnival, LOL!

• 1 month later...

We just went on RCI Liberty of the Seas. We have 3 kids and it has just been easier to go out of Galveston. We have been on Breeze and Magic. I would suggest spending the extra money and going on RCI. It's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Liberty of the Seas is an excellent ship with top notch entertainment. In fact, I think that ship has some of the best entertainment at sea. There is a 90 minute production of Saturday Night Fever, and the ice shows are unlike anything you'll see on other lines. Plus, Liberty just added waterslides along with the already existing Flowrider, so I really can't see any advantage to Carnival.

Plus, Liberty and Carnival Dream Class carry roughly the same number of passengers, yet Liberty is about 24,000GT bigger. That should say something about crowds.