What coats do you suggest for glacier viewing/dogsled tours?

PalmettoTraveler

I realized today that living in SC, not even big name athletic stores carry winter coats. I tried on some Columbia coats in the clearance section, but I have a hard time thinking they will keep me warm on a glacier. Maybe they have advanced their coats in recent years to make the material not as bulky?

I would love some suggestions on coats that keep you warm. Please remember I'm used to 100 degree weather with 100% humidity in the summer, so the difference in climate in August is making me nervous.

Our company ERA provided special shoe covers on the glacier. I went in my sneakers and did just fine. We were on the glacier in late June and had great weather. I was actually warm and took off my coat and was fine in a tshirt and fleece sweatshirt. The mushers were in tshirts! And I'm from Florida.

We layer.

We have a North Face jacket that is water proof but any similar vendor would be fine.

We then have a fleece and then depending on the weather go with other items; long sleeve shirt, another warmer below it. We can go with more or less.

Keith

Our company ERA provided special shoe covers on the glacier. I went in my sneakers and did just fine. We were on the glacier in late June and had great weather. I was actually warm and took off my coat and was fine in a tshirt and fleece sweatshirt. The mushers were in tshirts! And I'm from Florida.

Although I am not from Florida and admit that I adjust easily to cooler temps, I agree with teachatthebeach. I went with TEMSCO. They also provide "glacier boots" which go over your street shoes and have studs on the bottom for gripping the icy snow. I wore walking shoes or hikers. Searching on Youtube or viewing photos posted here on CC validated what I also experienced - you don't need a heavy coat. Temps on the glacier were a lot warmer than I would have otherwise expected. It was at least 60 degrees end of July on our day. The glacier snow was soft and slushy. I had on a light uninsulated jacket over a fleece and would've been fine without the fleece. As teachatthebeach stated, the mushers did not wear a coat - just a T-shirt.

If you dress in layers, you can remove as needed to adjust. I'd approach it like this. What do you wear in South Carolina when it is 50 degrees out? (I think it does get to that temp in South Carolina, doesn't it?) You might have to wait until you actually have that temp. where you live. You might be surprised that you don't usually wear a heavy coat. Or might decide that you do. It's funny how we don't pay attention to this. Start there and make a plan for how you can now adjust from that baseline to 40 degrees up to 70 degrees. These are the most likely temps you will encounter on the whole trip.

Although I am not from Florida and admit that I adjust easily to cooler temps, I agree with teachatthebeach. I went with TEMSCO. They also provide "glacier boots" which go over your street shoes and have studs on the bottom for gripping the icy snow. I wore walking shoes or hikers. Searching on Youtube or viewing photos posted here on CC validated what I also experienced - you don't need a heavy coat. Temps on the glacier were a lot warmer than I would have otherwise expected. It was at least 60 degrees end of July on our day. The glacier snow was soft and slushy. I had on a light uninsulated jacket over a fleece and would've been fine without the fleece. As teachatthebeach stated, the mushers did not wear a coat - just a T-shirt.

If you dress in layers, you can remove as needed to adjust. I'd approach it like this. What do you wear in South Carolina when it is 50 degrees out? (I think it does get to that temp in South Carolina, doesn't it?) You might have to wait until you actually have that temp. where you live. You might be surprised that you don't usually wear a heavy coat. Or might decide that you do. It's funny how we don't pay attention to this. Start there and make a plan for how you can now adjust from that baseline to 40 degrees up to 70 degrees. These are the most likely temps you will encounter on the whole trip.

It was 55 degrees and sunny the other day, and I was actually pretty warm, so that made me feel better about dressing in layers. Since I don't really have any jackets to layer with, I did buy the following and think it will work perfect:

http://www.columbia.com/womens-kaleidaslope-ii-jacket-WL4045.html

Glaciers can be really warm. When I was in Iceland and did a glacier hike, I ended up stripping out of my North Face she'll and fleece down to my base layer because it got so warm.

Definitely use layers....it's easy to work backwards than forwards.

• 2 weeks later...
I realized today that living in SC, not even big name athletic stores carry winter coats. I tried on some Columbia coats in the clearance section, but I have a hard time thinking they will keep me warm on a glacier. Maybe they have advanced their coats in recent years to make the material not as bulky?

I would love some suggestions on coats that keep you warm. Please remember I'm used to 100 degree weather with 100% humidity in the summer, so the difference in climate in August is making me nervous.

We are from upstate SC . We did Alaska cruise-tour last may (and returning again this may for 2 weeks) Dress in layers is a must. I had a silk underwear top (or cuddleduds), long sleeve cotton tee shirts, sweaters, knitted scarf, gloves, and wind breaker with hidden hood. (Basically like we dress at home in the winter). I'm always cold but found dressing this way was more than adequate in Alaska. We also bought lightweight rain ponchos from amazon. They fold up neatly in their own pouch and take up very little room in our luggage or day-pack when on an excursion. Many of the ports will have wind breakers for sale at very reasonable prices.

It was 55 degrees and sunny the other day, and I was actually pretty warm, so that made me feel better about dressing in layers. Since I don't really have any jackets to layer with, I did buy the following and think it will work perfect:

You should be nice and warm on Glacier Bay day...

Edited by Alaskanb

I think you will find that layering is a better option than buying this warm winter jacket. Without removable layers, you are stuck unless you carry another lighter piece. I'd melt wearing that jacket on a day of 55 degrees. We were surprised at how warm it was on our Norway trip. So learned that as stated, going out in the morning with a warm outer layer or windbreaker changes to fleece or long sleeved t by mid afternoon. Give yourself that option. make sure too that the outer layer is water PROOF, not just repellent. or carry a poncho. You don't want to hope that things dry out by the next day.

Edited by eandj

So you can use these layers on the dog sled excursions, and everyone says the glaciers aren't as cold as you would expect. But what about when you are out on the deck or your balcony when the ship is moving? How much colder is it then? I expect to be out a lot to be able to see whatever I can see. Don't want to miss anything!

Try Cabella's. They are probably having a seasonal close out now. They usually list the temperature range. If you are talking about looking at the glaciers while on the ship I recommend one jacket unless you like looking like the Michelin Man with layers. Get a good pair of gloves and a knit watchman's style cap. The gloves and the cap you should be able to put them in the jacket pockets. Also wear a good pair of wool socks.

I think you will find that layering is a better option than buying this warm winter jacket. Without removable layers, you are stuck unless you carry another lighter piece. I'd melt wearing that jacket on a day of 55 degrees. We were surprised at how warm it was on our Norway trip. So learned that as stated, going out in the morning with a warm outer layer or windbreaker changes to fleece or long sleeved t by mid afternoon. Give yourself that option. make sure too that the outer layer is water PROOF, not just repellent. or carry a poncho. You don't want to hope that things dry out by the next day.

Where do you store all the layers as you take them off? It's been my experience that the temperature doesn't fluctuate that much in Alaska. It's not Norway! Water proof doesn't breath, that's why you got hot!

I would love some suggestions on coats that keep you warm. Please remember I'm used to 100 degree weather with 100% humidity in the summer, so the difference in climate in Augustis making me nervous.

You mention August - not sure if you meant Alaska. Your profile says May cruise.

Just FYI - usually by the end of August, a lot of the dog sledding itineraries shut down due to too warm of conditions, lack of snow on glacier.