Mosquitoes?

GreeniePrincess

We are heading on a southern Caribbean cruise at the end of February leaving and returning to San Juan. We have never been to San Juan before, and we will be flying in a day before the cruise and staying overnight in a hotel. I'm considering becoming pregnant/could be pregnant, and with all of the news about Zika virus, I was wondering if mosquitoes are typically a problem this time of year. We were thinking about spending some time checking out the forts in Old San Juan, grabbing dinner, and maybe spending some time on the beach (staying at the Condado Plaza Hilton). I'm very concerned about the possibility of mosquitoes, however we have been trying to get pregnant since before the outbreak occurred and it was too late to cancel the cruise by the time the outbreak hit. I'm obviously planning on taking any precautions I can (long sleeves/pants, frequent reapplication of bug spray), however I'd like suggestions as to any areas to avoid or whether I should confine myself to my hotel room for the day that we are there if others would recommend avoiding those areas.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

We are heading on a southern Caribbean cruise at the end of February leaving and returning to San Juan. We have never been to San Juan before, and we will be flying in a day before the cruise and staying overnight in a hotel. I'm considering becoming pregnant/could be pregnant, and with all of the news about Zika virus, I was wondering if mosquitoes are typically a problem this time of year. We were thinking about spending some time checking out the forts in Old San Juan, grabbing dinner, and maybe spending some time on the beach (staying at the Condado Plaza Hilton). I'm very concerned about the possibility of mosquitoes, however we have been trying to get pregnant since before the outbreak occurred and it was too late to cancel the cruise by the time the outbreak hit. I'm obviously planning on taking any precautions I can (long sleeves/pants, frequent reapplication of bug spray), however I'd like suggestions as to any areas to avoid or whether I should confine myself to my hotel room for the day that we are there if others would recommend avoiding those areas.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Talk to your Doctor . He would tell what is the best .

If my DW and myself where planning for a family . We wouldn't take a chance with Zika Virus or mosquitoes . The result is a life long problem and cost.

I am a physician myself and have discussed with with DH as well. I am aware of the risks of the virus. We have decided, after much discussion, to continue with the cruise as this will be a family vacation and took much planning and is the only opportunity for us to do this. I'm looking for any suggestions as to any specific areas to avoid if anyone has suggestions. I realize that there is no guarantee, and this was not an easy decision to make. Any advice about places/times to avoid is much appreciated.

Do your research on the CDC web site. The specific mosquito that transmits zika (CHIKV and dengue) lives in urban areas, primarily snacks on humans, and bites during the day (not at night). Anywhere there is standing water, there is the possibility of a breeding ground. DEET is your best defense.

Do your research on the CDC web site. The specific mosquito that transmits zika (CHIKV and dengue) lives in urban areas, primarily snacks on humans, and bites during the day (not at night). Anywhere there is standing water, there is the possibility of a breeding ground. DEET is your best defense.

They bite most often at sun up and sundown. If you can avoid being outside at those times, it helps a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been to PR a number of times and I have received many bites, most walking from our condo to restaurants near dusk.

I must say, with all the warnings out there, I am surprised that you are willing to take the risk. Do you not think that a child's life is worth forgoing your plans? Is it really worth it? I did read that cruise lines will let you make changes without a penalty. Just my humble opinion.....

We were thinking about spending some time checking out the forts in Old San Juan, grabbing dinner, and maybe spending some time on the beach (staying at the Condado Plaza Hilton). !

El Morro is on a high promontory windy enough that people fly kites there. Wind comes off the Atlantic Ocean which does not harbor mosquitoes. The Old City is pretty built up and doesn't look to contain the litter and trash which make up mosquito breeding sites.

Cannot speak directly to specific beaches. I did walk the beach on the north side of Isla San Juan (no facilities) last winter at dusk and was not bitten. You might have someone reconnoiter the beach to see if there are areas of stagnant water or trash nearby; of course salt water will not harbor mosquito larvae.

They bite most often at sun up and sundown. If you can avoid being outside at those times, it helps a lot.

You may wish to confirm this with a little research but I read the other day the mosquitos transmitting Zika virus are day feeders. Also, some ships that call at San Juan don't leave until late.... 10 P.M. or after. My late DH and I love that port and we always enjoyed a wonderful dinner ashore and then boarded for sail away. Check your itinerary to see if you sail at dusk or later.

You may wish to confirm this with a little research but I read the other day the mosquitos transmitting Zika virus are day feeders. Also, some ships that call at San Juan don't leave until late.... 10 P.M. or after. My late DH and I love that port and we always enjoyed a wonderful dinner ashore and then boarded for sail away. Check your itinerary to see if you sail at dusk or later.

I live in Jamaica. This is the guidance we were given by the embassy doctors. It's the times they're MOST active. But not the only time they're around.

Edited by Quackattackaggie

I've lived in Puerto Rico most of my life and have never had the Dengue, Chikungunya or the Zika viruses (virii?). I'm bitten almost on a daily basis as I'm outdoors a lot.

Zika is a relatively new infection in the Caribbean and I believe they're exaggerating when they say it is widespread here. It is not. Just a few cases have been reported in Puerto Rico. The hysteria began in Brazil, which is a few thousand miles from here.

There are mosquitos everywhere, even in Alaska. They're more common in the tropics because of the constant nice weather. In Puerto Rico, yes, they're more prevalent around dusk and dawn (when winds die down). The mosquito that carry these diseases is not just any mosquito. Is a rather large one with white and black legs, easily distinguishable. If you're bitten by a run-of-the-mill mosquito, you should be okay. If you swat one of the large ones, then you should take extra precautions. Most likely, people who think they've been bitten by a mosquito, have been bitten by no-see-ums which are very common in and around the beaches and pretty much harmless.

Just take normal precautions (DEET) and continue with your plans. I bet you that if you check back in a few weeks the WHO would have moved on to their next crisis.

Since we're into believing whatever the WHO dishes out (like that bacon is bad for you and stuff), here's another world body's statement on Zika, which contradicts the first:

Updated UNWTO Statement on the Zika Virus

01 Feb 16

Following the declaration by the World Health Organization (WHO) of a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 1 February 2016 on the Zika virus, UNWTO recalls that according to WHO there should be no restrictions on travel with the affected areas and that the following travel measures should be observed:

WHO statement on the first meeting of the International Health Regulations (IHR 2005) Emergency Committee on Zika virus and observed increase in neurological disorders and neonatal malformations, 1 February 2016

« Travel Measures:

There should be no restrictions on travel or trade with countries, areas and/or territories with Zika virus transmission,

• Travellers to areas with Zika virus transmission should be provided with up to date advice on potential risks and appropriate measures to reduce the possibility of exposure to mosquito bites,

• Standard WHO recommendations regarding disinfection of aircraft and airports should be implemented. »

UNWTO will continue to monitor the situation in close contact with WHO and the relevant tourism authorities.

UNWTO also recalls that health and tourism authorities are working together to inform residents, tourists as well as the industry about the precautions to be taken and the tourism sector is working closely with health authorities to follow WHO prevention recommendations.

As per the impact on the tourism sector, it is too early to make any effective assessment considering the evolving nature of the situation.

Relevant information:

WHO statement on the first meeting of the International Health Regulations (2005) Emergency Committee on Zika virus and observed increase in neurological disorders and neonatal malformations (1 February 2016)

WHO Information for Travellers

CTO and CHTA Statement on the ZIKA Virus

Contacts:

UNWTO Media Officer: Rut Gómez Sobrino

Tel: (+34) 91 567 81 60

UNWTO Communications & Publications Programme

I've lived in Puerto Rico most of my life and have never had the Dengue, Chikungunya or the Zika viruses (virii?). I'm bitten almost on a daily basis as I'm outdoors a lot.

Zika is a relatively new infection in the Caribbean and I believe they're exaggerating when they say it is widespread here. It is not. Just a few cases have been reported in Puerto Rico. The hysteria began in Brazil, which is a few thousand miles from here.

There are mosquitos everywhere, even in Alaska. They're more common in the tropics because of the constant nice weather. In Puerto Rico, yes, they're more prevalent around dusk and dawn (when winds die down). The mosquito that carry these diseases is not just any mosquito. Is a rather large one with white and black legs, easily distinguishable. If you're bitten by a run-of-the-mill mosquito, you should be okay. If you swat one of the large ones, then you should take extra precautions. Most likely, people who think they've been bitten by a mosquito, have been bitten by no-see-ums which are very common in and around the beaches and pretty much harmless.

Just take normal precautions (DEET) and continue with your plans. I bet you that if you check back in a few weeks the WHO would have moved on to their next crisis.

You are always the voice of reason :) sensible, and helpful. Thank you.

I completely agree!! Also lived almost all mi life in Puerto Rico and have never been sick from a mosquito bite (winter flu knocks me out a few days every few years but...). Stay indoors at dusk and dawn and/or use DEET bug repellent when outdoors. BTW some larger hotels/resorts have small DEET spray available to guests who actually ask for it. This is sometimes and expensive "amenity" for the hotels to advertise but if you ask, chances are they'll hand you a spray can for you to take.