NCL free UBP WITH BOOKING ,DO YOU HAVE TO PAY 18% GRATUITY ONCE ONBOARD OR IS IT REA

ellieocb

Hi, we got the UBP and UDP for our upcoming cruise as an added extra when we booked our cruise and I keep seeing posts here about 18% gratutity .I know when you purchase this you pay the 18% but if you get it as a bonus when you book is it 100% free or are there hidden costs? First time NCL cruiser here so forgive my ignorance 😊

When you choose any of these promotions, there is an 18% grat/service charge which is added to your total final payment amount. The 18% is based on the purchase value of the promo item.

There are no additional "hidden" charges on board.

Edited by triptolemus

If booked through the European ("CE") office, the 18% service charge is included for all promotional packages.

But since the OP mentioned UDP, they may have booked a long time ago when the 18% didn't even exist.

ellieocb, when did you book this cruise, and through which NCL office (US or EU or UK or Australia or …)?

I just noticed that the pull-down menu on ncl.eu has Deutschland, España, Norge, Österreich, Schweiz, Continental Europe, and United Kingdom. Nothing for Ireland… :eek:

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Thank you for your quick replies 😊 we booked through the NCL website and its always continental Europe office/price as Ireland isn't an option. It is probably because of the euro that we are included in CE. I booked originally last August but cancelled and rebooked last Friday as there was a huge price drop and and extra perk (UDP) included.We also went from an inside to an aft balcony for the same price, my concern is that we don't get charged 18% of the price of the DUP and UBP as that would blow our budget as if we were just buying drinks we would never spend 69 dollars each a day .

I see that you are in Ireland, so the rules may be different. In the UK, we don't pay the 18% gratuity on the promo packages.

I'm not sure what the rules are for Ireland. Where is your booking done?

I did not realise this but I am not complaining :)

I have a 'free' UDP package and booked through a UK travel agent.

Is this no 18% policy in the T&C's anywhere?

Or is the 18% and the service charge rolled into the headline price because of the UK rules on banning 'hidden extras' from the headline price of holidays, tickets etc?

Edited by davecttr

I did not realise this but I am not complaining :)

I have a 'free' UDP package and booked through a UK travel agent.

Is this no 18% policy in the T&C's anywhere?

The wording is in the T&Cs for the current offer, but it is in NCL speak, so not totally clear.

However, if you have a booking and there is no charge for gratuities on the package showing on the amount you owe then you are fine. I don't actually know whet the wording they would use for it is as I've never been charged it.

Don't worry about being charged onboard. Nobody gets charged gratuities onboard with the package however you get it.

Or is the 18% and the service charge rolled into the headline price because of the UK rules on banning 'hidden extras' from the headline price of holidays, tickets etc?

It's not rolled into the price. The webpages for the dining and beverage packages only advertise the base price and you have to read the fine print to learn about the extra charge. See here for the SDP: "An 18% gratuity and speciality service charge will be added to the package price and on cruises from/to Spain and Italy we are required to charge an additional VAT." And here for the drinks packages.

For the current promotion, the terms specifically state that the 18% is included. See here for those terms. "Ultimate beverage package option includes 18% gratuity on the package. […] Dining package option includes 18% Gratuities and Specialty Service Charge."

Thank you for your quick replies 😊 we booked through the NCL website and its always continental Europe office/price as Ireland isn't an option. It is probably because of the euro that we are included in CE. I booked originally last August but cancelled and rebooked last Friday as there was a huge price drop and and extra perk (UDP) included.We also went from an inside to an aft balcony for the same price, my concern is that we don't get charged 18% of the price of the DUP and UBP as that would blow our budget as if we were just buying drinks we would never spend 69 dollars each a day .

If you just rebooked then it's the SDP not the UDP that you'll have.

For all promotions 18% gratuities are always included for bookings made in UK/EU. They used to be included for US bookings but that changed some time ago and are now added to the final payment. The gratuities for promotions are never payable on board.

If purchasing packages (i.e. not in a promotion) then it's different. 18% gratuities are charged on the package price at time of purchase regardless of where the booking has been made. For cruises from/to Spain and Italy there's also VAT to pay on top but I think this only applies to purchasing the package on the ship and not if purchased in advance.

Just checked my confirmation invoice and the following are listed

Fare

Hotel

Gov. tax/port fees

APC?

Service charge

Add ons

1 adult ultimate drinks package

1 prepaid service charge - I guess this is the amount listed in booking components.

I might be getting free booze for a week :D

Just checked my confirmation invoice and the following are listed

Fare

Hotel

Gov. tax/port fees

APC?

Service charge

Add ons

1 adult ultimate drinks package

1 prepaid service charge - I guess this is the amount listed in booking components.

I might be getting free booze for a week :D

You are definitely getting free booze. :) The "service charge" is the DSC or daily service charge, i.e. the $13.50 ($15.50 for suites) that everyone is supposed to pay every day for services like housekeeping and complimentary dining. You can choose to pay this ahead of time and not on board, and this seems to be the option you have on your booking.

I think APC is ATOL protection contribution, which is UK-specific.