Power Strips / Surge Protectors - Carnival

rosemariee

I have seen a lot of confusion over this topic so I am hoping to get it cleared up. This is in regards to Carnival specifically.

I have seen people say that power strips are not allowed. I have seen other people say that surge protectors are not allowed. And I have seen dozens of people say they always bring a power strip / surge protector on the cruise with them but it has to be in your carry on bag.

So which is it? No power strip or no surge protector?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/~/restricted-items-list

"Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark."

No surge protectors.

Something I've learned from Chengkp75 is that there is a huge difference between land based electrical power and grounding and marine based power and grounding

I have seen a lot of confusion over this topic so I am hoping to get it cleared up. This is in regards to Carnival specifically.

I have seen people say that power strips are not allowed. I have seen other people say that surge protectors are not allowed. And I have seen dozens of people say they always bring a power strip / surge protector on the cruise with them but it has to be in your carry on bag.

So which is it? No power strip or no surge protector?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Apparently surge protectors on ships are a potential fire hazard. However, power strips without surge protectors, that are in good shape, are allowed. Since some people cannot tell the difference, I suggest an extension cord over a power strip. I haven't had anyone even take a look at mine as it clearly scans as an extension cord.

Surge protection is definately the problem. Here is an article that explains why : http://www.uscg.mil/TVNCOE/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

We have brought several kinds of power extenders and never had one confiscated. Just make sure that it doesn't include surge protection or look worn.