Suggestion: a little Caribbean in the Caribbean

vedettes1

I don't know what other cruise lines do, but on two X Caribbean cruises there has been nothing even vaguely Caribbean offered on board. I.e. no Caribbean food, music, or decoration. X says they have the same menus on all ships at all times, but that is simply a decision they have made, not a practical necessity. It would be simple to have at least one Caribbean specialty offered each night. And it would be a snap to employ Caribbean bands. I think it would add to the experience.

They used to have a steel band at the pool. Those sort of "luxury" things have been tossed out as part of cost cutting...sorry..."modern luxury".

Perhaps if you are nice to one of the DJ's who have replaced the a capella singers, the string trios and the piano singers, they might be able to play a Caribbean tune or two.

They used to have a steel band at the pool. Those sort of "luxury" things have been tossed out as part of cost cutting...sorry..."modern luxury".

Perhaps if you are nice to one of the DJ's who have replaced the a capella singers, the string trios and the piano singers, they might be able to play a Caribbean tune or two.

Not a good switch. I truly miss those items. Might as well plug in my mp3.

Not a good switch. I truly miss those items. Might as well plug in my mp3.

Agreed woody,

Nothing is so fine when sailing the Caribbean than lazing by the pool, sipping a drink with an umbrella in it, with a steel band playing "No woman, No cry" or such. It's "what's missing"

I would personally have the DJs in a little boat, towed 400 yards behind the ship.

Norris

Isn't most "Caribbean" music and decoration really just an artificial construct of the tourist industry? Cultural appropriation at its worst, typically. I'm glad Celebrity leaves it out.

Edited by bEwAbG

Agreed woody,

Nothing is so fine when sailing the Caribbean than lazing by the pool, sipping a drink with an umbrella in it, with a steel band playing "No woman, No cry" or such. It's "what's missing"

I would personally have the DJs in a little boat, towed 400 yards behind the ship.

Norris

Funny, the last time I saw Caribbean music and steel drums was onboard the Pacific Dawn doing runs out of Sydney, Australia. Nothing about those itineraries were Caribbean lol

Isn't most "Caribbean" music and decoration really just an artificial construct of the tourist industry? Cultural appropriation at its worst, typically. I'm glad Celebrity leaves it out.

The tourism industry invented Caribbean music? LOL!

Took the words out of my mouth :D.