Disgraceful compensation package

baytraller

The 4th June cruise has been changed to depart from Athens not Istanbul

But we will need a Turkish visa - this will not be compensated

This I don't understand? Why should Azamara compensate you for a visa you must have to stay in Istanbul - which was what you have planned to do before the change of departure port.

We are also on the 4th June which has been changed from Istanbul to Athens. We left everything in the hands of our wonderful TA and she has sorted out new BA flights to Athens and a lovely 5* hotel for 2 nights pre-cruise in an upgraded room, all within the compensation allowances from Azamara. These things happen in travel, and we are extremely pleased with the outcome. We also had the choice of cancelling with a full refund or switching to another Azamara cruise. What more can they do?

This I don't understand? Why should Azamara compensate you for a visa you must have to stay in Istanbul - which was what you have planned to do before the change of departure port.

I read the post to say that OP has already obtained the Turkish visa but now won't be using it. I believe that's one of the expenses that the $500 in compensation is designed to address, not just air changes.

The question I was asking is to call the airline and and ask how much to change from Sydney to Istanbul to Sydney directly to Athens, not how much to add Istanbul to Athens to the fare to tag onto the Sydney to Istanbul flight.

In other words, change the itinerary completely but still within the same geographic area.

Agree. The $500 credit is supposed to cover any airline change fee. I do understand that Azamara applies this as a credit on a future cruise rather than just paying out the change fee.

OP - Go to the Cruise Air board on Cruise Critic and they can offer advise on flights.

Also if you can fly on Turkish Airlines and have a long layover in Istanbul for 6 plus hours they will give you a free room or a free excursion. We did the tour one time and it was great in a small van with driver and guide, all entrance fees and a sit down meal at a local restaurant.

Edited by Jade13

We are also on the 4th June which has been changed from Istanbul to Athens. We left everything in the hands of our wonderful TA and she has sorted out new BA flights to Athens and a lovely 5* hotel for 2 nights pre-cruise in an upgraded room, all within the compensation allowances from Azamara. These things happen in travel, and we are extremely pleased with the outcome. We also had the choice of cancelling with a full refund or switching to another Azamara cruise. What more can they do?

It's not that difficult is it? :) Have a wonderful vacation!