Freedom of the Seas - Few Questions

Hi, there. We are sailing on FOS Eastern in March. I've been trolling and reading the boards up and down but still have a few questions:

1. How often do the movies change? When do you find out which movie(s) are showing on your sailing?

2. Cupcake cupboard - I read that you can't make the reservation until embarkation day. Is this true? How many classes do they have for the week? Is it hard to get into? I have 3 kids I want to sign up together and wondering if this will be tough to do.

3. We have 2 rooms. would you recommend buying unlimited internet for 2 devices/2 rooms? I don't want the kids on devices all day, but helpful to have since DH and I will also have to logon to check emails. We will have 4 adults and 3 kids sharing. Thoughts?

4. Can I put restrictions on the kids' sail pass cards - i.e. how much $ they spend per day/week?

5. MTD - If I read correctly, we can choose the time we want to eat each day, but it is best to try to call 30 minutes ahead? The same goes for formal nights, correct? It seems like from what I read there aren't usually long lines for this since they tend to seat MTD families together?

6. I thought I read somewhere that you have to sign up ahead for the WaveRunner? Is this correct? Does this also get crowded and difficult to sign up for?

7. Is the sports court usually crowded? Do you also have to sign up to use the BB court at a particular time?

I think that's it for now. May have more! We are super excited!

:)

Edited by PattyCruiser2013

Good questions... I haven't been on Freedom yet (going in November) but have been on other ships with RCCL and I'm looking forward to some of these answers to see if they changed. For what I know or remember here are some answers that I have:

1. How often do the movies change? When do you find out which movie(s) are showing on your sailing? Multiple movies during the day/night and can be checked on the campus, movies are either still in the Theater or just coming out on BR/DVD

2. Cupcake cupboard - I read that you can't make the reservation until embarkation day. Is this true? How many classes do they have for the week? Is it hard to get into? I have 3 kids I want to sign up together and wondering if this will be tough to do.

3. We have 2 rooms. would you recommend buying unlimited internet for 2 devices/2 rooms? I don't want the kids on devices all day, but helpful to have since DH and I will also have to logon to check emails. We will have 4 adults and 3 kids sharing. Thoughts?

4. Can I put restrictions on the kids' sail pass cards - i.e. how much $ they spend per day/week? Has been answered and I agree with Bob, but did not know the restrictions didn't work in the arcade

5. MTD - If I read correctly, we can choose the time we want to eat each day, but it is best to try to call 30 minutes ahead? The same goes for formal nights, correct? It seems like from what I read there aren't usually long lines for this since they tend to seat MTD families together? Was a pretty long line when we went but we had a time set that we made the first day on the ship and walked to the front.

6. I thought I read somewhere that you have to sign up ahead for the WaveRunner? Is this correct? Does this also get crowded and difficult to sign up for? We signed up the first day on the ship and there was a line, but never really noticed it being too crowded afterwards

7. Is the sports court usually crowded? Do you also have to sign up to use the BB court at a particular time? Always seemed to be people there, but never really crowded

Waverunner? Are you meaning to say Flowrider. You need to sign a waiver. It can be done online or onboard. They will give you a wristband. After that you wait in line. Sometimes there are restrictions on age or skill level. There is the ability to sign up for group lessons or to even rent it for private use.

Oh, and they differentiate between stand up and boogie board for available times

Edited by John&LaLa

You can register ahead of time for cupcake cupboard classes on the RCI website on your cruise planner. I noticed it on mine months in advance, probably about the same time the excursions became available.

Morning! I could not find where to start a NEW thread so am sorry for piggybacking on this one :). I, too, am sailing the Freedom on Feb 21. However, I have been unsuccessful in being able to login to my reservation to do my online check in. I have called RC THREE times and they have NO idea what's wrong, except that they CAN see my reservation in their system. They said I have to check in at the port and PROMISE that all will be fine. Anyone ever run into this problem?

Morning! I could not find where to start a NEW thread so am sorry for piggybacking on this one :). I, too, am sailing the Freedom on Feb 21. However, I have been unsuccessful in being able to login to my reservation to do my online check in. I have called RC THREE times and they have NO idea what's wrong, except that they CAN see my reservation in their system. They said I have to check in at the port and PROMISE that all will be fine. Anyone ever run into this problem?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would first clear your cache and cookies in your browser.

Then try to access your reservation without logging into Royal's site:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/asr/login.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=3

Hi, there. We are sailing on FOS Eastern in March. I've been trolling and reading the boards up and down but still have a few questions:

1. How often do the movies change? When do you find out which movie(s) are showing on your sailing?

The movies playing on your cruise will be in the Daily Compass. There are one or two main movies up on the big screen outside, maybe in the theater, and on TV in the cabin.

I believe you can register for a class through your cruise planner account but there are a number of times throughout the week that they have the classes. Unless your kids really love the idea of decorating a cupcake, I think there are better things to do with your money.

You should check the various options available. Because we get time as D and D+, I've never bothered to buy a package early...we just wait until closer to the end to activate. But seriously, once the kids get access, they are on all the time. If you want to be able to connect, maybe just do a 1 device package and then you can control when the kids are on.

4. Can I put restrictions on the kids' sail pass cards - i.e. how much $ they spend per day/week?

As I believe Bob reported, you can restrict but not in the arcade.

5. MTD - If I read correctly, we can choose the time we want to eat each day, but it is best to try to call 30 minutes ahead? The same goes for formal nights, correct? It seems like from what I read there aren't usually long lines for this since they tend to seat MTD families together?

You can reserve dinner for each night in advance. Calling 30 minutes ahead will not do anything. If you have a reservation, go a few minutes before and check in at the desk. They will seat you as soon as possible, and they will likely try to put you in the same section nightly unless you request otherwise. With 7 people, I wouldn't want to just do a walk up each night, since they need a bigger table for that so you might be standing waiting for a while.

6. I thought I read somewhere that you have to sign up ahead for the WaveRunner? Is this correct? Does this also get crowded and difficult to sign up for?

The Flowrider times are posted in the Compass. It's open to all (as long as you make the height requirements) and you'll need to sign the waiver and get a wristband. You stand in line with everyone else to use it. If you'd like to do a lesson you can book that when you get on board, or you can rent out the flowrider for a private session. Please note that the staff help when you sign up for lessons, but if you book the Flowrider out for private use, they will not instruct.

7. Is the sports court usually crowded? Do you also have to sign up to use the BB court at a particular time?

There will be various activities planned on the sports court throughout the day. They will be in the compass. When they are not doing an organized activity, there will be people up on the court usually playing basketball. It's open to all, so you just need to get up there and join in.

I think that's it for now. May have more! We are super excited!

:)

We love Freedom and have sailed her numerous times. You'll have a great time.

Internet packages are not room based (or at least that didn't impact us when we cruised on Freedom in 2 cabins last June). You can purchase a single device package and have all 4 of the people in your party use the same package...just no more than one device at a time. Would be a good way to either limit the kids, or create an argument over who's turn it is. :)