Latest on suite/minisuite perks

britsbest

Latest from Princess just about closes the discussions !......unless there is a discussion on the meaning of soon!!!

http://book.princess.com/html/cc/enewsletter/onboard.html?source=enews6AS

How does that end the discussion? The discussion was about their original statement. The statement that they retracted......the statement that some used as the deciding factor when booking a suite or mini!!

Latest from Princess just about closes the discussions !......unless there is a discussion on the meaning of soon!!!

http://book.princess.com/html/cc/enewsletter/onboard.html?source=enews6AS

Well soon can mean next week, next month, who really knows. IMO, there recent advertisment on the mini suite perks should have been worded differently, more like a completion date would have been better.

How does that end the discussion? The discussion was about their original statement. The statement that they retracted......the statement that some used as the deciding factor when booking a suite or mini!!

I doubt that anyone booked a suite or mini based on the info that Princess retracted...

I doubt that anyone booked a suite or mini based on the info that Princess retracted...

Perhaps you didn't see the other thread where several posters stated they did book the category based on their statement…

Here is one example that can be found here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=237168

“This is just another example of things that businesses do that really get my goat! If you look at the Q&A now for mini-suites, the only thing that they have added as an additional amenity is a welcome glass of (cheap) champagne.

I don't know about everyone else, but I booked recently, based on some of the amenities; in particular the upgraded mattress and linens. As a general rule, I prefer mini-suites for Alaska, but don't think it's really necessary for the Caribbean.”

Perhaps you didn't see the other thread where several posters stated they did book the category based on their statement…

Here is one example that can be found here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=237168

Several.. I do not think so.. I found one person that said they booked a mini because they wanted the new mattress.. :rolleyes: And to be honest, I doubt if that was the real reason..

Several.. I do not think so.. I found one person that said they booked a mini because they wanted the new mattress.. :rolleyes: And to be honest, I doubt if that was the real reason..

You are entitled to belive what you want.:cool: Also lets remember that CC represents less the 1% of the cruisers out there. And I also stated that I have family that booked and used the amenities as a deciding factor.

When I bought my car it came with cruise control. I do not use cruise control for safety reasons. However if, when I picked up the car, I found that it did not have cruise control I would not of accepted the vehicle.

A minisuite typically costs about $200 more than a balcony. I don't think too many people would spend an extra $200 for the minor perks they are offering in a mini suite.

Ron

Yikes!! The cruise I'm going on (10 day) the least expensive mini is $1100 more than the most expensive balcony.

I did not book based upon the new perks (they weren't announced by the time I booked), but I do think there is a bigger question brewing here about about the 'value' of a cruise vacation vs land-based vacation, especially as cruise rates have been rising and services declining.

Yikes!! The cruise I'm going on (10 day) the least expensive mini is $1100 more than the most expensive balcony.

I did not book based upon the new perks (they weren't announced by the time I booked), but I do think there is a bigger question brewing here about about the 'value' of a cruise vacation vs land-based vacation, especially as cruise rates have been rising and services declining.

I just picked that one out of a Grand/Golden book - the 10 day cruises on the Sun/Dawn were running about $900 more - definitely not worth a "beautyrest" mattress and a glass of champagne.

Ron

In 1990 I sailed in an inside cabin in the Caribbean for 10 day on Princess. Paid 4200 for 2. Taking inflation into account that would be $6,406.17 in today’s money.. You could get a very nice balcony for that price.

Now since post 9/11 I would agree that prices have gone up considerably and service has gone down. But I think all in all we are still getting a better price then back in the 90's :)

I too have looked at land based....just cant get the same feeling as you get on a ship.

We are currently sailing aboard the Coral.

Wanted to let you all know that most of the new perks are in place on this ship.

We do have the new mattresses - which are great other than the huge crater when they are made into a queen. Almost need an egg crate for this reason. However, the beds are very comfortable.

We do not have new sheets and duvets.

We DO have new towels and robes.

As well as the new pillows - I almost miss them - they are a theraputic pillow or a feather head rest (as it's called) by the time I found the menu in the blue binder they were all out. Love the theraputic pillow though.

Also, have the new messaging shower head - along with the upgraded lotion, shampoo, conditioner and bath gel.

You do need to ask for the champage but it was delivered promptly when requested.

Trying to remember if there is anything else that was on list or that we have.

I think that's it. Having a wonderful cruise.

Entertanment could be better - somewhat lacking on this ship - probably due to not having a strong CD Lee Childer's.

The food isn't as good as what we are used to having with Princess. Still looking for a good wait staff to make a standing reservation with for the rest of the week.

Room Steward is FABULOUS!!! Just did the wine tasting and it was wonderful as well.

The ship is just GORGEOUS - weather is a bit rainy but not bad.

Sea's have been great!

Sonar the band in the Exploper's Lounge is very good.

Band in Universe Lounge is not very good.

We have an AB mini suite which is the nicest one we've ever had. In D527 - LOVE the balcony size - it is uncovered. We don't mind that though.

Internet is working terrible!!! That's why I'm continuing to post on this thread as to the experience we are having - I can't access a new thread.

Not able to access our email either - no one else seems to be able to either - it's been this way for 3 days now.

We do the Panama Canal tomorrow can't wait!!!

BTW we've been ordering room service and writing in what we would like to have - so far it's been working just fine. AWESOME to sit on our balcony to enjoy breakfast.

Well I hope I can now post this - will try to post again later

Thanks for the post!! Glad to hear that the amenities were in place for you!! Lets hope they will be in place for the rest of us too.......

Sorry that things aren’t going so well in some areas. Hopefully the entertainment will get better and maybe the cruise director just needs a little time to adjust. :( Food declining too? I hope this is just a fluke. Hopefully you will find a good wait staff before the end of the cruise.:( I always enjoy a good waiter. Makes the meal so much better!! Always nice having a good steward too!! They can really make a cruise. The band in the Universe lounge isn’t good huh....but at least you have the band Sonar. The internet problem would drive me nuts as I really need to stay in touch work when I am away.:(

Again thanks for the post!!

hugger, thanks for the update--glad to hear you're enjoying your cruise!

I'm glad they changed the announcement, so from now on, people will know what not to expect onboard. From the reports we've read from people onboard, it sounds like the new bedding is the main thing missing, which is a little surprising because I would have thought arranging for all those mattresses would have been the tougher part. Maybe they're having supplier problems with the linens?

In my experience, the minis on the Sun/Dawn/Sea are usually a lot more expensive compared to the balconies, since they're a lot bigger and much nicer than the minis on the Grand-class ships. On other ships, the price difference is usually a lot less, although of course it all depends on your particular sailing.

I dunno....

I have booked concierge or club level hotel rooms based on the "perks." I don't usually need a somewhat larger room, but sometimes the upgraded amenities are worth paying the upcharge for concierge. I can see someone who is more particular about linens (or whatever) spending a few more bucks for it.

When I suggested this very same thing on the other post, several posters came back to tell me I was wrong. I don't mind being wrong but I just can't understand why someone would book a mini/suits just for the bedding. Getting a mini/suite for the extra room, bigger bath with tub, 2 TV's or a good location is perfectly understandable but for BEDDING????? I guess I just lead a simple life. ;)

When I suggested this very same thing on the other post, several posters came back to tell me I was wrong. I don't mind being wrong but I just can't understand why someone would book a mini/suits just for the bedding. Getting a mini/suite for the extra room, bigger bath with tub, 2 TV's or a good location is perfectly understandable but for BEDDING????? I guess I just lead a simple life. ;)

I do know that a number of hotel chains heavilly promote their bedding---Westin, W, and Sheraton come to mind, so I think a lot of people must put a premium on "sleeping comfort"--otherwise, I doubt all of these hospitality companies (hotels, cruiselines) would be investing in "better" bedding and promoting it.

I don't think you can be certain of this. I have met plenty of folks who spend money on things I would never think of. Things I think are remarkably wasteful or excessive may be neccessities for others.

I don't think you can be certain of this. I have met plenty of folks who spend money on things I would never think of. Things I think are remarkably wasteful or excessive may be neccessities for others.

For someone who has a bad back a mattress in probably the single most important item to help with their back pain. 8 hours on a good mattress can mean a day with little or no back pain. Worth more then $200 in my book!

Largin:

I'm the poster that you basically are calling a liar, but that's ok because I'm at sea right now and having a great time. Very few things could upset my wonderful mood at this time; certainly not your incorrect statement.

Anyway, most but not all of the perks were there in our mini on the CB. (Please refer to my new thread.) I'm actually hoping to track down one of those pillows...if it's a memory foam version like we use at home, that would be great!

Largin:

I'm the poster that you basically are calling a liar, but that's ok because I'm at sea right now and having a great time. Very few things could upset my wonderful mood at this time; certainly not your incorrect statement.

Anyway, most but not all of the perks were there in our mini on the CB. (Please refer to my new thread.) I'm actually hoping to track down one of those pillows...if it's a memory foam version like we use at home, that would be great!

Great to hear you are having a good time!!!

Largin:

Never called you a liar.. I said that in my opinion getting a new mattress was not the reason one would get a mini. Lots more reasons out there such as a larger room, tub/shower, couch, multiple TV's, etc...

Archived