$1000 OBC Limit for Canadians - Anyone had the difference refunded?

xcell

So it has been widely reported that they have now limited $1000 OBC only.

I purchased 15 X $100 OBC for my upcoming cruise in March 2016.

I have not received any email regarding this limit (purchased the OBC over 4 months ago).

MyNCL.com shows the limit but only when you choose buying the $500 OBC or $1000 OBC (which I actually didn't know you can purchase). The disclaimer is not under the lower amounts of $100, 50, 25 and 10.

Has anyone just called them to ask for the refund before their cruise or how does it work...do they just automatically refund the credit card it was purchased on?

It appears that some people have received an email stating that their credit card would be refunded for anything over $1000.00.

Some people did not find out until they boarded and found that their certificates for OBC were cancelled for the amount over.

I have $1000.0 purchased (at 1.07%) and was going to buy more, but I don't want the hassle.

It does not matter what denomination is purchased, the limit is still the same.

When DH and I were on the phone with NCL last night about a separate matter, we were told that effective Jan 21 there is. $1000 limit per reservation. We are awaiting word back today about what that means for us as we purchased OBC well before the 21st. I'll try to screenshot the info as it reads on MyNCL.

By setting a limit of $ 1,000, regardless of length of cruise or the number of cruise passengers NCL just keep me looking for other cruise lines for my future cruises

We booked 5 passengers for a 9 days Cruise. $200 / each does not even cover the cost of two shore excursions. All they will get is me spending less.

I 'm not a happy cruiser

:mad:

I wouldn't blame NCL for their new rule, although a limit based on cruise length and number of people would be more fair than a simple $1000.

Blame the people in other threads that were bragging about buying a huge excess with no intention of spending the money on the ship, nor even in ports in some cases, but to have the money credited in USD in order to bring it back to Canada to get back more money than they paid. Sure they did it because they could, but to brag on CC was not a good idea, IMHO.

Blame the people in other threads that were bragging about buying a huge excess with no intention of spending the money on the ship, nor even in ports in some cases, but to have the money credited in USD in order to bring it back to Canada to get back more money than they paid. Sure they did it because they could, but to brag on CC was not a good idea, IMHO.

They told the world when they should have kept their mouths shut. :p

It's similar to coming on here and bragging to the world about the most beautiful, unused, quiet beach that nobody knows about....and providing GPS location and instructions on how to get there. Guess what would happen?

Sometimes, when you have a good thing, it is only good because few know about it. In those cases, you don't post it on the www.

I wouldn't blame NCL for their new rule, although a limit based on cruise length and number of people would be more fair than a simple $1000.

100% agree with everything you said.

Rochelle

If they are intending to apply the $1000 limit why wait till people are on board before refunding. They should have refunded all extra sums the day after the limit was set. They are now holding money that they agree does not belong to them

Mike

I don't blame NCL for putting a cap on the amount, but $1000 for two people on a seven day cruise is very different than $1000 for a family of five for 22 days (as in my case).

Also, if they need to cap the amount, I understand, but they should stand by the previously allowed purchases. Don't allow me to buy more - fine, but let me keep what I have already paid for!

I'll be looking back to other lines. This upcoming cruise is our second with NCL, but I will happily go back to Princess or Celebrity. I wouldn't think businesses want to lose any customers, but I would think they'd really want to retain those who sail in suites for long cruises.... Guess not, though.

If they are intending to apply the $1000 limit why wait till people are on board before refunding. They should have refunded all extra sums the day after the limit was set. They are now holding money that they agree does not belong to them

Mike

I have said that exact same thing on my thread about the legalities of all this. If the policy changed Jan 21, as I was told, then why haven't they refunded the monies yet? And why aren't they honouring purchases made prior to that date?

I have said that exact same thing on my thread about the legalities of all this. If the policy changed Jan 21, as I was told, then why haven't they refunded the monies yet? And why aren't they honouring purchases made prior to that date?

And why have they not informed everyone who is likely to be affected? They have phone numbers, email addresses and physical addresses.

Mike

And why have they not informed everyone who is likely to be affected? They have phone numbers, email addresses and physical addresses.

Mike

Exactly! The fact that they seem to hold the funds until the last moment, makes me think they are trying to maximize their possession of customers' money. So, basically, we loaned NCL money, lol. It feel really good about helping out the little guy. :rolleyes: I know that NCL needs my money more than my family or our small business. I'm really glad I was able to help them, lol. The whole thing has really turned me off NCL, which sucks, because I have REALLLLY been looking forward to this cruise and I don't like having something like this start my trip off with a sour taste in my mouth. :(

Well this is typical of corporations nowadays isn't it? Policies that are not well thought out end up coming back to bite them.

A much better way to approach this would have been to say:

Purchase your first $1000 at 11% and anything above that at the going rate. There'd be plenty of people who would still think they got a decent deal and would buy an extra $500 or $1000 to spend.

For us on our upcoming Getaway cruise, 3 people $1000 for the week? Well, that's a tight squeeze and NCL is only limiting themselves. They wont get any more than $1000 on board out of us because it won't be possible to get anymore. We always buy our OBC upfront so its their loss, not mine.

I just logged into my account and see the disclaimer. I purchased $3000 for my 12 day Epic trip in March. If they have canceled my OBC, where is my $$? I just checked my CC. They should have refunded at the time they canceled my purchase! I sure don't want to have to deal with having them return my $ but if I don't have the OBC before my trip, I could use that extra $2000 for my holiday!

in vacation summary is looks like I have $500 and $1000 but in the print below it says not to exceed $1000 per booking. I booked $3000 so something is way off! I have a mind to leave it as I am hopeful that everything booked prior to the Jan 21 policy change may be left alone (I am a dreamer).

We sailed on January 17th and I had purchased a few thousand dollars OBC at a good rate. There were 5 ( 4 adults and a teen) in my party, all in the same suite. The purchase was made for all to use on the trip and was purchased evenly in each person's name. I received a voice mail from NCL on my cell while I had it turned off during our flights to the embarkation port. The message stated that all excess above the $1000 cap would be returned to my cc. Turns out NCL cancelled all but $300 of our OBC. I'm not sure where they came up with the $300 figure especially since the caller indicated all but $1000 would be refunded to me not $300. That was a shock in itself but we made out fine with that minuscule amount. We just didn't spend hardly any money on the ship.

Well we arrived home on the 24th and the first thing I did was check my cc for the refund as the caller stated it would be refunded right away. Well it wasn't! I check my card and my mail daily hoping to see my refund either back on my card or in the form of a cheque from NCL. Nothing yet. I made the purchase just at the start of my cards billing cycle so I have about 2 more weeks before the interest kicks in so I plan to call NCL before the end of next week if it hasn't shown up by then.

At first I was annoyed with the policy change and the last minute news of my money being returned. I understood and accepted that news. Now the longer this drags on, the more p****d off I am getting with NCL.

I used to love NCL and their product but now I am just annoyed. Stand by everyone, I may post a couple of future cruise credits for sale if this drags on much longer....lol

One more thing. My NCL account showed all our OBC still on my account right up until we boarded the ship.

Edited by pisenor

Yes so I'm curious .. I'm fine with only $1000 but I don't want to wait until after the cruise to argue where the other 500 is.... so should I call and volunteer my reduction

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yes so I'm curious .. I'm fine with only $1000 but I don't want to wait until after the cruise to argue where the other 500 is.... so should I call and volunteer my reduction

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't volunteer anything. The policy seems inconsistent at best. I am adopting a wait and see attitude. I still can't believe the limit is $1000 regardless of the length of the cruise and / or the number of people in the party. $1000 divided by five people divided by 22 days is $9/day for us to spend. I won't spend a penny more. Booking private excursions exclusively if I can find them. I'll buy souvenirs in port, and I'll use the coffee maker in my suite.

I understand NCL's concern and the need to address it, but the way they are going about this in the wrong way if they want to retain customers and have good word of mouth.

I still can't believe the limit is $1000 regardless of the length of the cruise and / or the number of people in the party. $1000 divided by five people divided by 22 days is $9/day for us to spend. I won't spend a penny more. Booking private excursions exclusively if I can find them. I'll buy souvenirs in port, and I'll use the coffee maker in my suite. We are well off in this case!! 2 of us; 34 days; USD14.71 each per day!! :eek:

I understand NCL's concern and the need to address it, but the way they are going about this in the wrong way if they want to retain customers and have good word of mouth.Totally agree but since when have NCL gone the right way about anything? :eek:

As the kids in NZ would say "NCL you suck"

Mike