PACIFIC EDEN 28/1/16 - 3.5* CRUISE, 4* DECOR, 4.5* SERVICE - but at 4* prices

After three days of 'decompressing' from the 4 day Mornington cruise, and after carefully thinking about the experience, and after checking my notes - I have just posted a very comprehensive review on the review site. It also has my tips for potential cruisers, to minimise any disappointments or misunderstanding as to exactly what this product is.

I don't know how long does it take for the review to appear. But as some of you have asked me previously to post it, here is the copy if interested - but you will need 5 min to read it (with sub- headings for easier reading).

Pacific Eden –28 Jan 16 - Good 3.5* cruise, with 4* shows, 4.5* service – but at 4* prices

PAST CRUISING EXPERIENCE limited to 85 days, from 3 days on QM2 to 12 days on MSC Musica in Europe. Sailed on Sun Princess (when she was in Alaska), Diamond Princess, Celebrity Galaxy (now defunct), Century and Solstice; RCCL Radiance of the Sea and Voyager of the Seas and P&O World Aurora.

First time on any P&O Aust ship – to check out for myself (despite previous many bad reviews) the so called ‘new direction’ on Eden described by P&O as “high end modern Australian design unlike a cruise ship and in the style of a boutique hotel’ Approached this cruise with an open mind, expecting realistically no more than a sound 3 star experience, on this 23 year old ex Holland America ship, with partial renovation done mainly to the public areas, restaurants and bars.

DECOR AND AMBIENCE – we found it great and very different from other ships in a positive way. A sophisticated, upmarket and cosy/ casual elegance in the renovated bars, a classy look in the restaurants, and a 4 stars look in the pool areas. Some photos of the decor on the P&O site and YouTube. A good description of the style in the newspaper review here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/travel/po-cruise-ship-pacific-aria-all-grown-up-on-maiden-voyage/news-story/3dbe60373bab414fea7162911480b275 Very good live music in all bars to complement the atmosphere and different time in the evenings (more up-tempo later) with a rotating groups and funky music in the Blue room.

ENTERTAINMENT -Very good showroom entertainment (for us) by the very original, well choreographed staged shows produced by Grayboy Entertainment – musical numbers forming a story. Our shows were Velvet Rope and Side Shaw Alley – see 1 min previews on their site here: http://www.grayboyentertainment.com/productions Very talented 8 performers – they do more than 12 to 14 people on some Royal Caribbean shows – no slackers on P&O. No live band – recorded music with modern projection effects. The very talented comedian-magician Alan Dean had the showroom in stiches. Have not attended the late comedy show. No old style introduction here by the Entertainment Director (previously Cruise Director) before the show. In answer to my questions, ED promptly contacted me and confirmed that there is no show when Bianco Party is on (so-called ‘dark night’.)

THE SHIP This 23 years old style ‘classic’ ship is the smallest of the ones we have sailed on. It retained a number of intimate public rooms (bars), a full wrap-around real teak promenade deck (not anymore!), covered lido pool with good shaded area (but unfortunately no badly needed shade sails at the second adult only aft pool ). The ship has an excellent traffic flow - better than new ships, with no traffic bottlenecks, and a few quiet areas with a good connection to the sea for reading and relaxing in the daytime. Even on a fairly rough day, with winds at 9 Beaufort scale and pool decks closed and everybody inside - one could still find easily a seat in most bars during the day. Now not much rust visible (previous reviews) – freshly painted areas covered most of it. This ship is very suitable for corporate meetings/conferences at sea with its 3 conference rooms, and no doubt P&O will be going hard after this largely untapped market.

It is a quiet ship – with a few activities during the day, but pleasantly for us no PA announcements about forthcoming sales, no reminders about revenue generating seminars and no special revenue- type inserts in the Pacific Daily program. We liked that this ship treats the passengers as adults who can read what are the activities and when, as listed in the program. This may not please some, of course. Demographics on a 4 days cruise – a larger majority between 40 and 60. Very few kids or teens – all well behaved. This will change of course on cruises to Qld beach resorts and more younger people will probably sail on Pacific cruises.

OVERVIEW of the cruise A much better experience than expected on this 4 night short cruise to the Mornington peninsular. It looks like after 10 weeks things on Eden have significantly improved and are continuously getting better - and several of the important issues have now been addressed.

FOOD now comes at right temperature. No problems getting a table at Waterfront restaurant between 5 and 6 pm for dinner without waiting – as additional staff means now that ALL the tables at the restaurant are being used (a major source of past frustration for many). Also easy to get a table for 2 at off- peak times (early) for breakfast and lunch. Easy to book Angelo’s or Dragon lady on embarkation (by phone, or by going to the deck 8 bar/booking office until 4 pm) – with more staff rostered to take the calls.

Past complaints about long lines at the Pantry and the lack of seating are NOT justified in my view. One side of the Pantry is always busier than the other, the food stations are similar on both sides, and extra outdoor seating is available at both end of the Pantry, including a fair number of undercover tables on the Lido pool deck. High bench Pantry seats were still available at 8.45 peak breakfast time.

FOOD QUALITY is still variable and sometimes inconsistent. Mostly quite good, sometimes OK –generally Angelo’s better than Dragon Lady. The only two dishes that came inedible (unfit to be eaten) were from the Dragon Lady: samosas well fried on the outside, but with raw flour inside; and slices of sushi roll almost frozen and very hard to eat. We were compensated with a free bottle of sake, after bringing it to the attention of Maitre d’ – who checked with the chef and confirmed that this was unacceptable and they will change the procedure to fix it in the future. Pastries, muffins and omelettes made using less sugar and butter (good for our diet,) but tasting ‘thinner’ when compared with other lines. Meat not the top quality of course, but more than OK.

On the other hand greater range of the modern Aussie food in the Waterfront including: Chinese lemongrass chicken, spiced chickpeas cakes, chicken pho soup, snails. Trout, pork belly, rump steak and chicken wings always available (we did not try any). Other items on the menu change twice weekly on a 7 days cruise. Smallish portions (as in most land based ‘trendy’ places these days) but you can always order more. Steamed vegetables at dinner/ lunch and salmon in the morning available in the Waterfront by request. You will never be hungry.

FOOD VARIETY adequate: in Waterfront 6 starters (incl soups), 5 mains (incl vegetarian) five desserts and fresh fruit. This is PLUS trout, pork belly and steak which are always available favourites. In the Pantry some changes in the types of meat ect. in some sections (e.g. Asian and Mexican) from day to day.

SERVICE - Excellent service by all staff – very impressive, at the Celebrity standard, and some even more welcoming and friendlier (new contracts, not burned out yet??). No lazy drink waiters here. Also staff seems happier now as the past staffing problems have now been recognised by the management and more staff have come and will be coming. Great Maitre d’ – Marius. Very hard working and visible in all restaurants – will fix any reasonable problem/ request you may have, but approach restaurant manager first.

COMPLIMENTS AND ISSUES If you are happy with service, consider spending 3 min filling the special ‘You should be proud’ card at the reception about outstanding staff – we did two – very important for the deserving staff. They are forwarded to the sections managers and to staff at the end of the cruise. The very detailed e-mail survey which will be posted takes too much time for many to complete. Also guests are encouraged to bring any issues to the attention of the reception when they happen – instead of waiting till the end of the cruise. A special card for this ‘Let us know’ also at the reception allows detailed description of any problem for later analysis by ship’s managers.

VALUE FOR MONEY - fair. The cost for a good allocated midships inside cabin on lower deck for this cruise worked for us at $142 pp per night (I realise that the shorter cruises on a ‘new’ ship are usually more expensive – and as it often happens, the price dropped then to $112 pp per night afterwards) . By way of comparison, a similar type cabins booked by us a few months ago for Diamond Princess March 2016 Tasmania cruise worked out the same at $142 pp per night. And the cost for an 8 nights Queensland cruise on Radiance of the Seas for April 2017 (also booked a few months ago on special offer) was a great value at $112 pp per night incl gratuities . By way of comparison, the current P&O price for a midships interior cabin on a 4 nights November 2017 cruise - on the yet to be delivered Pacific Explorer (transferred Dawn Princes) - works out at the expensive $212 pp per night for a starting price.

A FEW TIPS : Know what to realistically expect on Pacific Eden to avoid disappointment.

1. Extra charges for things usually provided free by other lines: e.g. $3 for burger, egg & bacon roll or pulled pork bagel from the pool snack bar; $4 to $5 for ice cream and milk shake, $7.50 for thick shake; No free room service, charges: $6 for Nachos, wedges, soup or dessert, $8 for some salads, $9 for lasagne, Aussie burger or sandwiches (beef on rye, chicken or tuna). If you like something very light for free at night (after 9.30 pm) , bring your cup-a-soups and instant noodles – hot water, tea and coffee on 24/7. If you like to have some warm water at night or when waking up – bring a vacuum flask. If you are a fussy tea drinker but do not like Lipton teas, bring your own Twining tea bags. Free coffee is quite good, by cruise lines standards.

1A Breakfast in bed will cost you - $10 for big breakfast (hot), or continental breakfast; $5 for any Uncle Toby’s cereals, or yoghurt, or stewed fruits; $3 each for tea/coffee or toast.

2. Modern Aussie style cruising – this means no formal nights, no wearing of ties by senior staff, no fixed seating in the dining room, no captain’s welcome party, and no taking photos with the captain. Instead you have a good Gatsby party in the nightclub on the top (more older crowd) and a Bianco (white) party on the covered Lido pool deck – with more younger pax (loud music). There is no showroom entertainment on Bianco night (so-called ‘dark’ night).

3. Limited number of TV channels but 300 DVDs available on loan with a request by 12 noon for delivery that night– some of these quite old. This is one of the very few ships with a DVD in all cabins. If you want to re-watch your favourite DVD, but did not have the time at home – bring it with you. Daily movie in the cinema (they still have one) – more information about the movie would help.( I brought this up with the CD who will consider including the genre of a film, its classification and a few lines synopsis in future listing on the daily program, as it is done by other cruise lines)

4. Drink Prices Cocktails at $15-$17 - as on other cruise lines- are very week. Wine or spirits are better value. Very good Italian wine in the Italian Angelo restaurant. Light bear $6.50. Soft drinks about $3.50.

5. Book early the free specialty restaurants (Italian and Asian fusion – fixed menu) on embarkation – they fill up quickly. No reservation is taken for Waterfront – if you come during the busy time (after 6 pm), pagers issued while you wait.

6. Salt restaurant (fixed menu) is a better value for lunch ($39 – during sea days) than dinner at $49 – identical menus. Very interesting unusual flavour combinations. Trout as the main better than barramundi for main – if you like fish. Great deserts, very knowledgeable and professional service.

7. If worried about norovirus –Bring your own anti-bacterial wipes for cabins door handles, phone, TV & DVD player and bathroom sink. No strict policy of hand washing enforced/ reminded in the restaurants. No ‘washy, washy – happy, happy’ reminders in the RCCL style. You are responsible for your own hygiene. Signs in the public toilets remind you to open the door handle with a tissue.

CABIN 5105

Very good size for inside cabin- bigger than Princess, and wider than on Celebrity Solstice. Clean, freshly shampooed carpet. A sign ‘We clean under the bed’ –yes, it’s correct, I checked. Superior bed – Sealy Postuepedic Euro Plush (made especially for Holland America as a part of their bed upgrade program a few years ago). Pillow menu – ask for a soft/ hard pillow, if not satisfied with the ones given. Excellent storage area (HAL used to do longer cruises): double length dressing table with six drawers, two seater sofa (well used) with a table/ shelves unit, 3 section wardrobe with good hanging space and shelves. Light blond colours and neutral curtains. Very good cabin location, with the room attendant’s storage area on one side (no pax – quiet) and a 2 pax cabin on the other side. No noise from adjoining cabins – maybe next door people were well behaved.

Bathroom - older style bathroom with deep sink (convenient, no splashing), newer faux marble top (HAL addition some years ago), smallish shower (no bath – it’s only in balcony cabins and upper outsides). Problems: short shower curtains causes the water to splash on the floor; poor toilet suction means that you might have to ‘help’ toilet tissues to dissolve by pouring some hot water over them; and a warning that some cabins are prone to unexplained sudden flooding from free flowing toilet water (it happened to a deck 9 cabin on our cruise to an acquaintance, and previously to a number of Aria pax, according to their reviews). So do not leave anything on the floor of your cabin.

Thank you Cyrix400 on your comprehensive appraisal of the ship and your experience.

It is indeed good that the initial service / staff issues appear to be being addressed.

I am pleased that you seemed to have enjoyed your actual cruise more than your pre-cruise apprehension.

I continue to look forward to being onboard Eden in September.

Edited by strathnaver

Thank you for a fantastic review with so much detail! Glad to hear a lot of the issues have been fixed and sounds like a great short cruise.

I've booked a three night cruise for my partners birthday as a surprise next month and can't wait :)

Thank you again!

Edited by LuckiePuris

Lots of detail there - thank you. Just curious about your remark 'not anymore' when you mentioned the wrap around promenade deck. Has it been altered in some way - are you unable to do a full continuous circuit?

Thanks Cyrix for your comprehensive review of Pacific Eden - ex Statendam.

To view photos of cabins on Pacific Eden / Aria - see http://www.halfacts.com - click on S class. Our 2 & the others HAL ships in this class are all very similar.

Cabin numbers are not the same & decks may have different names but there are many photos & with the deck plans from both vessels you can easily find the cabin you want.

Lots of detail there - thank you. Just curious about your remark 'not anymore' when you mentioned the wrap around promenade deck. Has it been altered in some way - are you unable to do a full continuous circuit?

Apologies - I did not make myself clear re 'not anymore' about the promenade. What I meant to say was that very few of the newer ships still have the full wrap around promenade deck (Yes, Eden still does). Diamond Princess has 'almost' one, as you have to climb quite a few steps at the bow to go up and then go down to the other side. And many complaints about the Royal Princess re lack of the wrap around. Sadly, to maximise the revenue and the number of pax, this is now considered almost a luxury.

And a couple of additional points to my review which may be helpful to you:

1. Embarkation proceeds smoothly - when selecting your embarkation time on the website, P&O allocates a certain number of places for different times, and they make it quite clear that the 12-12.30 pm is the peak time.

2. VIP embarkation (suites) starts an hour earlier.

3. Disembarkation - they would like access to the cabin from 7 AM - you can leave your bags of course. In practice, room attendant often would not usually mind if you can't leave before 7.30 - they appreciate if you let them know as a courtesy.

4. Huge line of people outside the reception on the last day (accounts questions/ payments?) - no problems if you registered your credit card.

Thanks for your comments - and have a good cruise.

Thank you, Cyrix, for a very thorough review. We're going on the Eden later this year. I wonder, do you have any information about the availability of gluten free food in the dining rooms?

Thank you!

Thank you, Cyrix, for a very thorough review. We're going on the Eden later this year. I wonder, do you have any information about the availability of gluten free food in the dining rooms?

Thank you!

P&O makes the point when completing your on-line pre-cruise documentation to advise about any special dietary requirements. I don't think that gluten -free food is GENERALLY available in the dining room, but (and please confirm with P&O) if you put your diet restriction on your form - and then speak to Assistant Maitre d' during the embarkation lunch, I would be pretty shore that they will cater for that at dinner and subsequent meals (not in the Pantry, probably). This seems to be the standard these days, with a lot of people on different diets - but they usually need a day's notice to prepare special meals.

Thank you. Yes, I did state when booking I required GF food and on previous cruises (on Princess ships) I was able to order each night for the following night. Fair enough re the Pantry; it was the same at the buffet on the Princess ships. I did post a thread asking if anyone had had experience re the GF food but no one has responded. I'll do as you suggest and see the m'aitre the first night. (and hope for the best! Thanks again; your review has helped.

RE: EMBARKATION SAFETY DRILL - One more small point about the life vest drill, I did not mentioned previously. On Eden you need to take your life vest with you and go to the designated station (listed on your cruise card and on the door of the cabin) - all stations near the life boats on the promenade deck 6. You may find that on afternoon departure the sun will be on your face on one side (depending on your luck) and that you will have to stand for 15- 20 min in crowded condition.

By way of contrast, a lot of other ships (including Diamond Princess and Celebrity Solstice) conduct their safety drills in much more pleasant surroundings - in public rooms with many seats. No need on these ships to bring life vests - and a good video explains how to put your vest on.

P&Os muster drills are a debacle and there is no way of them knowing who has attended or not. They need to get with the times and move them inside as well as scanning all attendees.

Thats interesting. Royal had inside muster in 2012. We were allocated the schooner bar - didnt have to move far:D. However, on more recent cruises Royal have had the normal outdoor muster on the promenade deck. They do scan your card though.

Thats interesting. Royal had inside muster in 2012. We were allocated the schooner bar - didnt have to move far:D. However, on more recent cruises Royal have had the normal outdoor muster on the promenade deck. They do scan your card though.

To tell you the truth I was shocked when we did our P&O cruise last year and in 2014 and the musters were outside, this was after all the cruises with X, Princess and Cunard all doing them inside at various locations and having to be scanned in for attendance.:D

And related to Mornington as a cruise destination for Pacific Eden (and other ships) - I did not comment in my post on the tours because we did our own things (stroll, coffee, good gelato and lunch) in this high-quality foodie-friendly place (catering to selective Melbourne crowd on weekends). No need to take a tour to Sorento to do the same.

But I omitted to post link to the Foodie's Guide to Mornington (below) which was quite helpful in our discovery. A lot of places on the main street (called Main St) - but the quirky Onde Fine Foods off the beaten track a bit (10 min walk) - well worth the find.

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/eat-street/a-foodies-guide-to-mornington-20150115-12jazq.html

• 1 month later...