Currency Exchange ATL or EZE?

cluso

This is an airport question. Now that the Argentine "Blue Dollar" has faded away under the new President, currency issues have changed. There is supposedly more acceptance of credit cards, however a traveler will be needing cash (pesos) too--for taxi's, small purchases, etc. I have heard many of the Argentine Cambio places on the streets have shut down now; and also of the high expense of the local ATMs which do limit withdrawals to +/- $200 USD.

So, having not having used an airport currency exchange for as long as I can remember, does anyone know if ATL has Argentine pesos AND would it be better to exchange in ATL or in country at EZE?

In general, and I mean that....IN GENERAL....currency exchanges at the departure airport have REALLY lousy exchange rates for the currency you would find at destination. The main use for them is to get rid of currency you won't use again in the future.

Personally, I'd never buy ANYTHING at ATL or JFK or LAX or whatever instead of getting it when I arrive. Far greater "market" when you get there - the rates will be better and more likely to actually have the currency you want.

As for the current situation in Argentina....I can't authoritatively say. My last trip there was a few years ago and I did NOT change dollars into pesos. I went with a large stash of ones and fives and just offered them dollars. Got FAR MORE than what I would have at any kind of official exchange (and the "street cambio" had far too much counterfeit for me to go that route. I found NO ONE who would refuse to take US dollars at either the official rate or usually one much better. Now that the peso is floating, I think you may be in the same situation...few will turn down a greenback.

I agree with all that FlyerTalker has said.

We always find it best to wait until we arrive to the destination to obtain local currency.

Our last visit to Argentina was last year before the elections so am not sure about the recent changes. At that point I used a combination of local currency, usa currency and Credit Cards.

What has not changed is to be very mindful of valuables when in large cities such as Buenos Aires. Leave valuables in the safe. Do not flash a wad of money.

Keith

Agree with FlyerTalk.

If you want more intel on the Argentine Peso situation, go to the South America Ports tab on cc.

I have read that some of the curves are still operating. Of course, the official and Blue rate are now practically the same.

We did acquire some Pesos two years ago when we were in Buenos Aires that were Blue Pesos, but we also used US dollars from time to time. One thing, you will need Pesos for taxis or buying tickets on the METRO.

We always take about $300 US as backup in case our ATM cards don't work. That has only happened in Copenhagen.

We used SouthExcursions (out of Chile) for most of our private tours on the Around the Horn cruise. Very good company and great rates for tours. They ask for payment in US preferring new hundred dollar bills.

Argentina is not as bad for pickpockets as Barcelona, but you do need to take care, especially if you have an expensive SLR camera.

Agree with FlyerTalk.

If you want more intel on the Argentine Peso situation, go to the South America Ports tab on cc.

I have read that some of the curves are still operating. Of course, the official and Blue rate are now practically the same.

We did acquire some Pesos two years ago when we were in Buenos Aires that were Blue Pesos, but we also used US dollars from time to time. One thing, you will need Pesos for taxis or buying tickets on the METRO.

We always take about $300 US as backup in case our ATM cards don't work. That has only happened in Copenhagen.

We used SouthExcursions (out of Chile) for most of our private tours on the Around the Horn cruise. Very good company and great rates for tours. They ask for payment in US preferring new hundred dollar bills.

Argentina is not as bad for pickpockets as Barcelona, but you do need to take care, especially if you have an expensive SLR camera.

You need to take very good care.

My daughters in laws were originally born in Buenos Aires Argentina and go back there twice a year. So they have the advantage of fitting in with the locals and they will tell you that you have to be very careful about your possessions and valuables. I also have a good friend who has lived there with his wife for 50+ years and they are very careful walking around the city.

I actually feel more safe in Barcelona these days and we were in both Barcelona and Buenos Aires in 2015. But my views are subjective and have not looked up stats to confirm them.

Now Argentina is a large country as is our own.

There are many places where I would walk around with my SLR camera (it is expensive) and there are some I would not. Same goes for the USA too.

I know some used to exchange money on the street and I would never do that. You don't know if you would get robbed and also if the money was counterfeit.

We were in BA and Iguassu in the beginning of January. Prior to our trip I was unable to buy pesos anywhere, including at the Travelex at the airport. I was told that they do not sell argentine pesos because of the volatility of the economy. So we went without any in hand and we found that everyone was willing if not happy to take USD. Just make sure you take small denominations in pristine bills.

--------------------

Helen

Edited by Ms Understood

Thank you for everyone's inputs! Will try to exchange some USD at the Banco de la Nacion window in the EZE arrivals secure area, and keep some USD's for later. 13 days and counting...

Edited by cluso
Change