First Time Alaska Cruiser

cruisingbajan

It's a separate stop on some itineraries. We did Princess' voyage of the glaciers southbound and it spent a day going into Glacier Bay. Our upcoming cruise with Celebrity has a stop at Icy Point Straight, which is at the entrance to Glacier Bay, but doesn't actually go in. On our round trip cruise we just had a day in Tracey arm fjord.

Ok.. which would be best..to go into Glacier Bay? It would be mentioned as what on the cruise site.. Glacier Bay , or Inside Passage? Sorry I may be missing something.. I am so confused! :confused:

Our upcoming cruise with Celebrity has a stop at Icy Point Straight, which is at the entrance to Glacier Bay, but doesn't actually go in. .

Not quite, Icy Strait is the waterway, and Bartlett Cove, Gustavus, is the entrance to Glacier Bay.

Icy Strait Point, is a native corporation "compound" , used by cruise ships contracts, in Hoonah. The other side of the strait. Take a look at a map for further details.

Glacier Bay is a specific place, listed. on some cruise itineraries. Other cruises would have Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier.

http://www.nps.gov/glba/index.htm

ALL Alaska cruises sail, "inside Passage", which is a very general term.

I suggest you try and get a copy of Viapond's Alaska By Cruiseship, along with Alaska Ports of Call books, try your library.

Ah ha.. thanks!!

Would you go on a cruise that said Glacier Bay.. over inside passage then?

Ok.. which would be best..to go into Glacier Bay? It would be mentioned as what on the cruise site.. Glacier Bay , or Inside Passage? Sorry I may be missing something.. I am so confused! :confused:

I see budget queen gave better location details (I glanced at a map a couple months ago and that was a much as my brain processed at the time)

Glacier Bay was pretty phenomenal. Princess got the ship in very close to the Hubbard Glacier and into the Margerie Glacier. They had naturalists from the parks service on board giving presentations. We saw seals and sea lions.

Check the itineraries you were interested in; if Glacier Bay is included it should be listed as a port but with (scenic cruising) next to it. Took a quick look at Princess and they have both the "Voyage of the Glaciers" and an "Inside Passage with Glacier Bay"

Ah ha.. thanks!!

Would you go on a cruise that said Glacier Bay.. over inside passage then?

Skip the being concerned about "inside passage". ALL cruises sail it.

"Would" I go on a cruise to Glacier Bay, yes, certainly, but, I've also greatly enjoyed all the other glacier sailing areas. :)

It's essential, you take some time and read cruise trip reports. I'd suggest- picking ships from several cruise lines for last summer that sailed there.

Do you have your time picked out, one way? round trip? Need those figured out first.

This is great information guys. It will take me a while to sift through it all but that is half the fun.:)

Keep the info coming. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Aloha,

Glad to hear you'll be doing an Alaskan cruise! You really can't go wrong no matter who you go with (for the most part). Being from Hawaii, I know your excitement of wanting to go somewhere completely different from our tropical climate ;) I went on the Norwegian Pearl-Glacier Bay route last year and it was a life changing experience. I might be repeating some of the suggestions already mentioned, but I'm too tired to scroll though every single post right now haha.

1) If you're taking a cruise that goes to Victoria, BC, don't take any of the tours. My friends just took a taxi from the port to the Parliament building for about $10 USD and we had a great time strolling around the city at night on our own. There wasn't too much open anyway since NCL arrives at 6pm/1800.

2) Go to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. It is breathtaking to see a glacier that close on foot. The walk/hike to the glacier is a nice stroll as well.

3) Choose a cruise route that goes through Glacier Bay (I saw this one mentioned before). You won't regret it!

Hope this helps! Best of luck to the planning!

-Shawn

Aloha,

Glad to hear you'll be doing an Alaskan cruise! You really can't go wrong no matter who you go with (for the most part). Being from Hawaii, I know your excitement of wanting to go somewhere completely different from our tropical climate ;) I went on the Norwegian Pearl-Glacier Bay route last year and it was a life changing experience. I might be repeating some of the suggestions already mentioned, but I'm too tired to scroll though every single post right now haha.

1) If you're taking a cruise that goes to Victoria, BC, don't take any of the tours. My friends just took a taxi from the port to the Parliament building for about $10 USD and we had a great time strolling around the city at night on our own. There wasn't too much open anyway since NCL arrives at 6pm/1800.

2) Go to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. It is breathtaking to see a glacier that close on foot. The walk/hike to the glacier is a nice stroll as well.

3) Choose a cruise route that goes through Glacier Bay (I saw this one mentioned before). You won't regret it!

Hope this helps! Best of luck to the planning!

-Shawn

Thanks Shawn,

This info does help. Thanks for sharing.

It would be listed as Glacier Bay, not all cruise lines have permits to enter - so if you aren't seeing it, try another cruise line. (Off the top of my head - HAL & Princess have permits.)

It would be listed as Glacier Bay, not all cruise lines have permits to enter - so if you aren't seeing it, try another cruise line. (Off the top of my head - HAL & Princess have permits.)

NCL, also Carnival beginning and end of season.

I think the #1 tip for me is, book early so you can get a balcony. They sell out so fast. We used it so much.

We were extremely satisfied with our inside stateroom. We spent time on the Bow of the ship when it was open or on the upper decks without partitions in the way or worry about what is happening on the other side of the ship.

Just a different opinion.

We were extremely satisfied with our inside stateroom. We spent time on the Bow of the ship when it was open or on the upper decks without partitions in the way or worry about what is happening on the other side of the ship.

Just a different opinion.

I guess so.

• 10 months later...

Wanted to resurrect this thread as we have finally decided on a cruise date (sort of:))We have decided to do this for our 10th anniversary and make it into an epic 2 week trip of which we will spend 7 days on one of the cruise lines.

The demographics have changed in our party and it will only be the wife and I on this trip(no daughter on this one.) Our 10th anniversary is about 2 years away so we still have a bit of time but there is much research I have to do on this area as it is complete virgin territory for us.

I will sift through all of the previous info again but as of right now we are trying to decide on which cruise line/route to take. Any/All suggestions are welcomed.

We are planning on getting a balcony for this trip as well. How far out did you book?

My recommendation is to book as soon as possible. Prices usually only go up the closer you get to the cruise. Some itineraries will sell out quicker than others as well. We are booked on a one-time NCL Sun 14 day cruise in May and the balcony cabins were all sold out in October...over 6 months before the cruise!

We made our reservations in June 2016 (11 months prior) and the balcony choices were getting slim at that point. I had hoped to re-book when NCL offered the promotion with free gratuities, but by then the price had gone up more than the value of the gratuities so I still came out ahead by booking early.

• 1 month later...

Helpful post! We might go in June 2018... since DH doesn't have much vacation, we are going to do a one way 7 night cruise, and spend only 2 extra nights in Alaska. I thinking we'll rent a car in Anchorage then drive to Denali and spend our 2 extra nights there...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app