Coffee Cards/Drink packages

kingsgirl

Can someone direct me as to where I can read about the coffee cards and other drink packages or could you be so kind as to explain them?

I've searched the forum but the posts are really old (2011) and I can't bring anything up on the Princess website without a booking it seems.

I'm new to Princess - just trying to learn about everything. Thanks!

Edited by kingsgirl

On the Princess ships we have been on, there was coffee, tea and hot chocolate available at the coffee station in the buffet area. I am a tea drinker so I cannot vouch for this info, but I have heard that the coffee in the restaurants and buffet are a "syrup" style coffee. The fresh brewed coffee is supposedly only available in the International Cafe. As I understand it, the coffee card is for specialty coffees such as lattes and cappuccinos, but as long as there is at least one punch left on the card, fresh brewed coffee is also included.

Princess does not have freestyle machines, but with a soda card you can get a soda at any bar.

Soda card includes unlimited soda

Soda and more card includes unlimited soda, mocktails and milkshakes

I hope this helps.

On the Princess ships we have been on, there was coffee, tea and hot chocolate available at the coffee station in the buffet area. I am a tea drinker so I cannot vouch for this info, but I have heard that the coffee in the restaurants and buffet are a "syrup" style coffee. The fresh brewed coffee is supposedly only available in the International Cafe. As I understand it, the coffee card is for specialty coffees such as lattes and cappuccinos, but as long as there is at least one punch left on the card, fresh brewed coffee is also included.

Princess does not have freestyle machines, but with a soda card you can get a soda at any bar.

Soda card includes unlimited soda

Soda and more card includes unlimited soda, mocktails and milkshakes

I hope this helps.

Except they no longer offer just Soda, only Soda and more.

How do they serve drinks? In mugs or in disposable containers? Do you bring reusable containers from home?

If you are talking about how they serve soft drink/ soda /pop in a plastic cup around the pools or in a glass at restaurants and bars.

If you buy a package you get a reusable cup with the package, either a double walled plastic one or an insulated one.

But you don't need to use the cup. Your card will have a sticker on it, you show your card (or after about day 2 dont bother because they already know you) they squit out your drink.

Now I find the glasses they use inside a but small, so I tend to get my first for the day up on the pool deck, usually the bar near the buffet. Take that cup with me and just get refills till I'm near a bar that has the bigger cups then get a fresh cup. But then I drink a LOT of diet coke.

If you are talking about how they serve soft drink/ soda /pop in a plastic cup around the pools or in a glass at restaurants and bars.

If you buy a package you get a reusable cup with the package, either a double walled plastic one or an insulated one.

But you don't need to use the cup. Your card will have a sticker on it, you show your card (or after about day 2 dont bother because they already know you) they squit out your drink.

Now I find the glasses they use inside a but small, so I tend to get my first for the day up on the pool deck, usually the bar near the buffet. Take that cup with me and just get refills till I'm near a bar that has the bigger cups then get a fresh cup. But then I drink a LOT of diet coke.

Thanks! What about coffees/specialty coffees/hot chocolate? What are those served in? Or was your insulated comment referring to that?

Edited by kingsgirl

How do they serve drinks? In mugs or in disposable containers? Do you bring reusable containers from home?

Sodas are served in glasses from the bar, though if ordered from a poolside server it will be in a plastic cup. The description of the Soda and More package used to mention you would receive a souvenir mug but it now no longer says so (neither in the online description nor in my cruise personalizer for my upcoming cruise). Haven't seen any recent reports of success (or lack of) in asking the bartenders to fill your personal container. If your goal is to take a mugful of soda with you in port you may be able to do a little bar-hopping and pour a few glasses into yours. The Freestyle Coke machines which I gather you found useful are exclusive to Royal Caribbean.

One other hint: there is often some niggling differences in the description of the various drink packages between the Princess website and your cruise personalizer. If you do chose to purchase in advance I suggest printing a screenshot of your personalizer in case anything seems to be lacking when you use the package after you board. (That was the issue with the souvenir mugs; some passengers had them in the package description in their personalizer even after many ships stopped stocking them).

Thanks! What about coffees/specialty coffees/hot chocolate? What are those served in? Or was your insulated comment referring to that?

Mugs/cups (two sizes if my memory is wirking) or takeaway containers Mrs Gut would often get hers in a takeaway with a lid.

Also, I believe if you pre purchase your drink package before the cruise, there is sales tax added to that purchase in addition to the gratuity.

If you wait until on board/ offshore, they will charge the gratuity but not the tax.

We did not have any sales tax added. :confused:

If memory serves correctly, regular coffee cups while enjoying your beverage at the international cafe, or in a takeaway cup similar to a Starbucks/dunkin donuts cup.

One exception, while cruising glacier bay,Alaska last year all drinks onboard were served in glasses/mugs for environmental reasons.

Does anyone know how much hot chocolates cost?

It seems so ridiculous to buy a soda package for the hot chocolate, which is what I really want for the Alaskan cruise. I doubt I'd drink $8.00 worth of hot chocolate a day.

My mom would have to buy the coffee card just to get fresh brewed coffee.

Do both the hot chocolate and coffee come from the International Cafe? What are the hours it is open? Is this the only place to get hot chocolate and fresh brewed coffee?

Just trying to calculate whether a drinks package is worth it - what are the beer prices on board (for the Diamond Princess), is there a menu anywhere?

Also, I heard that during happy hours you can get a second beer for just $1. Is this still the case? What are we looking at here in terms of the hours themselves, which bars have them, and the beers it applies to?

We did not have any sales tax added. :confused:

Maybe it has changed?

On our first Princess cruise in 2011 we prepurchased our drink package and we were charged sales tax and gratuity. Since then we have made our drink package purchases after we are offshore.

Maybe it has changed?

On our first Princess cruise in 2011 we prepurchased our drink package and we were charged sales tax and gratuity. Since then we have made our drink package purchases after we are offshore.

Hmmmm..........

We have always been charged the gratuity but never sales tax.

We have purchased onboard and pre cruise.

No biggie. :)

Does anyone know how much hot chocolates cost?

It seems so ridiculous to buy a soda package for the hot chocolate, which is what I really want for the Alaskan cruise. I doubt I'd drink $8.00 worth of hot chocolate a day.

My mom would have to buy the coffee card just to get fresh brewed coffee.

Do both the hot chocolate and coffee come from the International Cafe? What are the hours it is open? Is this the only place to get hot chocolate and fresh brewed coffee?

The international cafe is open 24 hours. As far as I know that is the only place on board to get fresh brewed coffee. I'm not sure about the hot chocolate, but I would think it is available at the cafe.

The coffee card is about $29 plus 15% gratuity ($33.35) for 15 specialty coffees - that's about $2.22 per drink. Once it has been punched at least once, the fresh brewed coffee is free as long as there is at least one punch left on the card.

Also, the card does not expire and can be used on the next Princess cruise.

The international cafe is open 24 hours. As far as I know that is the only place on board to get fresh brewed coffee. I'm not sure about the hot chocolate, but I would think it is available at the cafe.

The coffee card is about $29 plus 15% gratuity ($33.35) for 15 specialty coffees - that's about $2.22 per drink. Once it has been punched at least once, the fresh brewed coffee is free as long as there is at least one punch left on the card.

Also, the card does not expire and can be used on the next Princess cruise.

The freshly brewed coffee ends at the end of the cruise though, right? If I'm doing a B2B, I'd have to buy a new card to keep getting the freshly brewed coffee, correct?

The freshly brewed coffee ends at the end of the cruise though, right? If I'm doing a B2B, I'd have to buy a new card to keep getting the freshly brewed coffee, correct?

If you are on a B2B under one booking number the coffee card should be dated as valid until the end of the second leg.

If you are on a B2B under one booking number the coffee card should be dated as valid until the end of the second leg.

This is not true. We did 3 cruises B2B2B recently, and the waitress tried to tell us initially would suffice for all 3 legs, but then checked with her supervisor who advised the free brewed coffees would only be good for the leg which the card was purchased. You'll notice on the card it shows the ship name and a voyage #. (So we had 3 different numbers for the 3 voyages. They do not indicate dates on the card only the voyage #. Note any punches left can be used on any other cruise.