New Cruiser Question

abgupton

My family is new to cruising and we are booked on the Triumph out of New Orleans on December 19th. We have 6 people sailing with us. I have seen several posts here and there of people requesting the email address for the Maitre-D. Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I am curious what would be the purpose in emailing the Maitre D prior to the start of the cruise? Are there advantages? Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

People send e-mails in an attempt to get special seating, or because of other special needs (dietary issues, etc). An e-mail sent directly to the Maitre-D may or may not suffice. There's no guarantee that the e-mail will be read or acted upon.

Best bet - in my opinion - is to first contact the Special Needs desk at Carnival, or get your PVP to do some of the leg work for you. Then, if you like, follow up with an e-mail.

And of course, once you are aboard, you can always speak to him directly face-to-face.

Some people seem to believe that if they e-mail they can receive certain seat requests. Such as a 2 person table or ensure their group is by a window.

Does this work? I don't know. I don't recall anyone coming back saying they received a response nor come back confirming that their request was fulfilled due to the e-mail.

I do know that per Carnivals policy, the Maitre 'D is not under any obligation to read, fulfill, or respond to these requests.

My own experience and in talking with some of the Maitre'Ds amounts to the same conclusion. In most cases, they prefer the email because they generally do not get any information about bookings and rely on software to help them setup the dining rooms.

The software they use is pretty simple. It helps them seat people of about the same age together but in its simplicity, it can easily split up families/groups that span ages, last names and cabins. This is why you will see a table of 6 or 8 with everyone being in the same sort of age group or in the case of people with kids, if you have 2 adults and a 10 year old, you will likely see them at a table for 6 with another pair of adults and similar age child. Trouble is the software only sorts the people by age/cabin/number of children. It doesn't actually fill up the tables on the chart, this is a manual process because the Maitre'D also has to take into consideration the wait staff and make sure that the tables are distributed equally as well as keep enough tables to spare for making changes.

That said, if they get emails in advance, it makes it easier to setup the tables unless by some chance they get clobbered with requests. So it can be hit or miss whether or not you get a response. It is also possible that your request will happen but you don't get a response. Typically the tables are set 2 days before a cruise, so if you set sail on Saturday, you may want to email on Tuesday/Wednesday prior. Too far in advance is not a good idea. Basically, the 3d and 4th night into a cruise, they will be more likely to respond. I would not email more than 2 weeks in advance of a cruise.

Also, be brief. If you write a 3 page email to explain why you want a table for 2 you may as well not send it. Just a list of here's who I'm traveling with, here's their cabin numbers, can we all sit together near a window? Is all they need. They don't need to know who's related to who, just # of people, cabin numbers and where would you like to sit. You have to bear in mind that English is not the primary language of many Maitre'Ds, this is why being brief is best.

But the bottom line is that anything they can do to limit the number of change requests they have to try to accommodate at the first night's dinner or when they open the doors at 1:30 on the first day, the better.

All that said, there are some Maitre'Ds that are less accommodating. Knowing who the Maitre'D is when you email can help a lot since you might be able to find reviews on them.

The policy you cite is correct and there are several Maitre'Ds that would like Carnival to block external email to those addresses. I think the majority would protest that because it does help them to know your requests in advance so long as they don't get hundreds of them.

I guess with all that being said how do you determine the email for the ship (the Triumph)? Also how far in advance would one make a simple request? I would know going in that it may or may not be granted.

Thanks for the input.

We sailed Thanksgiving week on the Pride. I emailed our Maitr-D (Ken) and told him where we liked to sit and the size table we preferred. If was a brief two paragraph note. He responded so sweetly within two days. He assured me that he would take care of us. (This was the first time I ever did this)

When we went to dinner we had been placed at table 100 which is the Captain's table (he eats late seating, we had early). We were towards the front at a table for 8 and it was actually the best seat we had in a long time.

For us, it worked well!!! Oh by the way,,,he visits all the tables throughout the week. He came to our table the first night shortly after service started and always checked in several times a night,,,one night he even removed dirty plates from in front of some of us while visiting with us.

My family is new to cruising and we are booked on the Triumph out of New Orleans on December 19th. We have 6 people sailing with us. I have seen several posts here and there of people requesting the email address for the Maitre-D. Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I am curious what would be the purpose in emailing the Maitre D prior to the start of the cruise? Are there advantages? Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I mailed the one on the Magic. No response and our request was not honored. Not a deal breaker but a little disappointed.

We were married on the pride in October. I emailed the maitre d (ken) in advance asking for a table for 2. He emailed me back the same day saying he would take care of it. When sailing time came we had a table for 2. I guess it depends on the maitre d but in our case it worked out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People email the Maitre'D to request something specific for their sailing. Whether it be a dietary restriction or type of table. As far as requests a specific table goes if your under any time dining there's no point in requesting a specific table since it could be taken when you arrive at the dinning hall. But if you on a set time dining its a possibility.

My own experience and in talking with some of the Maitre'Ds amounts to the same conclusion. In most cases, they prefer the email because they generally do not get any information about bookings and rely on software to help them setup the dining rooms.

The software they use is pretty simple. It helps them seat people of about the same age together but in its simplicity, it can easily split up families/groups that span ages, last names and cabins. This is why you will see a table of 6 or 8 with everyone being in the same sort of age group or in the case of people with kids, if you have 2 adults and a 10 year old, you will likely see them at a table for 6 with another pair of adults and similar age child. Trouble is the software only sorts the people by age/cabin/number of children. It doesn't actually fill up the tables on the chart, this is a manual process because the Maitre'D also has to take into consideration the wait staff and make sure that the tables are distributed equally as well as keep enough tables to spare for making changes.

That said, if they get emails in advance, it makes it easier to setup the tables unless by some chance they get clobbered with requests. So it can be hit or miss whether or not you get a response. It is also possible that your request will happen but you don't get a response. Typically the tables are set 2 days before a cruise, so if you set sail on Saturday, you may want to email on Tuesday/Wednesday prior. Too far in advance is not a good idea. Basically, the 3d and 4th night into a cruise, they will be more likely to respond. I would not email more than 2 weeks in advance of a cruise.

Also, be brief. If you write a 3 page email to explain why you want a table for 2 you may as well not send it. Just a list of here's who I'm traveling with, here's their cabin numbers, can we all sit together near a window? Is all they need. They don't need to know who's related to who, just # of people, cabin numbers and where would you like to sit. You have to bear in mind that English is not the primary language of many Maitre'Ds, this is why being brief is best.

But the bottom line is that anything they can do to limit the number of change requests they have to try to accommodate at the first night's dinner or when they open the doors at 1:30 on the first day, the better.

All that said, there are some Maitre'Ds that are less accommodating. Knowing who the Maitre'D is when you email can help a lot since you might be able to find reviews on them.

The policy you cite is correct and there are several Maitre'Ds that would like Carnival to block external email to those addresses. I think the majority would protest that because it does help them to know your requests in advance so long as they don't get hundreds of them.

Where can I find the email address to email a Maitre'D?

If you're just worried about making sure your group or family dine together, you can link your reservations through guest services. I did this for one group cruise, just told them that the 4 cabins I gave them were traveling together. Just make sure everyone requests the same seating. One CSR wanted everyone's booking number, but I just called back and talked to another person.

We were married on the pride in October. I emailed the maitre d (ken) in advance asking for a table for 2. He emailed me back the same day saying he would take care of it. When sailing time came we had a table for 2. I guess it depends on the maitre d but in our case it worked out great.

We LOVED Ken !! He even came and sang with the band one night.

XXmaitred@carnival.com * Maitre'D email address - replace XX with below

FA = Fantasy

FS = Fascination

EC = Ecstasy

SE = Sensation

IS = Inspiration

IM = Imagination

EL = Elation

PA = Paradise

SP = Spirit

PR = Pride

LE = Legend

MI= Miracle

DE = Destiny

TI = Triumph

VI = Victory

CQ = Conquest

GL = Glory

LI = Liberty

VA = Valor

FD = Freedom

SL = Splendor

DR = Dream

MC = Magic

BR = Breeze

SH = Sunshine

We LOVED Ken !! He even came and sang with the band one night.

XXmaitred@carnival.com * Maitre'D email address - replace XX with below

FA = Fantasy

FS = Fascination

EC = Ecstasy

SE = Sensation

IS = Inspiration

IM = Imagination

EL = Elation

PA = Paradise

SP = Spirit

PR = Pride

LE = Legend

MI= Miracle

DE = Destiny

TI = Triumph

VI = Victory

CQ = Conquest

GL = Glory

LI = Liberty

VA = Valor

FD = Freedom

SL = Splendor

DR = Dream

MC = Magic

BR = Breeze

SH = Sunshine

Im jealous. I heard so many wonderful things about him but when we actually sailed it was his time off. We are sailing the pride again in September but I'm assuming he will be on the vista by then.

Ken on the Pride is great. We will sadly miss him this summer since he is moving to the Vista.

I emailed him last year and he got back to me the same day. He accommodated my request for a booth and not to be sat with other people (due to my DS' anxiety). I also requested to be near a window and while there are no booths near a window, he got us as close as he could

Carnival is no way obligated to respond or honor the emails, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Ken was badly injured a while ago--hit on the head with a piece of metal by a crew member who was fired. He loves to sing and if you're fortunate enough to hear him you'll know why people like him. He didn't sing the last time I sailed with him but I did get to talk to him about the attack.

For sitting together for dining, it's only necessary to try to notify the Maitre D if you are booked for either early or late assigned dining. Then you would want to be sure that your booking numbers are all linked so that you'll be placed at the same table. Also make sure that you've all selected the same dining time.

If you have all selected Anytime Dining you don't need to do anything special. When you show up at the dining room you just ask for a table for 6. It's still a good idea to link your booking numbers so that if someone is waitlisted for the ATD it might help for all to get ATD.