Chef Table question

gizmo911

I do not drink so I never signed up for Chef Table on any of my cruises. I thought that it was not cost effective if I am not going to have the wine. My travel buddies got me to sign up on my upcoming cruise on Anthem. Assured me that I would enjoy the experience because the food is excellent. So here are my questions:

1- Is the food really that good at Chef Table on Anthem?

2- Is it worth the cost without the wine pairing?

3-Do they offer soda instead of that awful ice tea?

Edited by gizmo911

We have done Chef's table 3 times. Not Anthem, but one was on Quantum. We love it. Is it worth it if you don't drink? That would be up to you. We both drink so it's a wonderful experience as the wine pairing is an important part of the experience. Each glass of wine is specifically picked to enhance the flavor of the course. But the food, IMHO, is wonderful. It's a small group, usually max of 12 people. It's about a 2 hour dinner. The explanation of the food as well as the food itself has been wonderful in our experience. Our last Chef's table was on Rhapsody in Sep. There were only 6 of us. It was very intimate. And since there were only 6, the wine flowed freely (I know, doesn't help you much). But we had a very good time. Wonderful food, wonderful conversation. You can always ask if they can discount it for you since you don't drink, but I don't think they do.

So what I'm trying to say is that although you are paying for food and wine, you also get a great experience. Since you are going with "travel buddies," I think you'll really enjoy it. It would be a shame to miss out because of the cost of a few glasses of wine.

Not sure what, other than water, they will have to serve. But they always check if anyone has any food allergies (my wife doesn't eat seafood) or other issues. You can tell them you don't drink and see if they could serve you your favorite soda instead. By the way, my wife's dishes that replace any seafood have always been among her favorites. So they really do a great job of substituting.

Edited by papaflamingo

We did Chef's Table last week on Anthem, after doing it previously on Quantum and loving it.

Is the food that good? YES. Best meal we had on the ship by far. Don't be fooled by the small portions of each course... 7 courses add up quickly in your stomach.

Is it worth the price? YES - if you like wine. On our sailing, 6 people didn't show up to the dinner so we got double the wine samplings (the sommelier would refill our glasses if we finished them before the next pairing). We also got 20% off by booking it once onboard and negotiating a little bit.

Don't know about the soda, we drank the wine and they offered sparkling or still water on the side. If you asked for soda they would probably give it to you, but it will affect how the wine pairs with the food in your mouth.

We left the dinner, full, drunk and very happy. It is a lot of fun!

Edited by Blondynka

We have done several. Loved them at first as the chef actual came out or someone with experience to discuss both the food courses and wines being served. More recently not so good. We find they are crowding in more people on the table. We did the inaugural cruise on Quantum out of Southampton and booked the Chef's table for the first day. We were so excited thinking what an experience for the first Chef's table on a new ship on the first day. Booked it the very first day reservations opened. They crowded 19 around a table meant for 16. Didn't increase the wine for the additional folks, just did smaller pours for all. No explanations or discussions regarding the courses or wines. Was most disappointing. Was a lovely room designed for serving 16, but very crowded when serving 19. Won't be doing again when we can have great experiences with a good bottle of wine in the specialty restaurants.

I avoided the Chef's Table for the same reason. On our last cruise (FOS) I finally decided to try it. Boy was it worth it. They had one night on our sailing where they reduced the quality of the wine and offered the Chef's Table significantly cheaper. I am a non-drinker too. Even though I tasted each wine with each course it did nothing for me. The food however was among the best I've had at sea. I'm hoping to find a non-drinking fare on the upcoming cruise on the Anthem. :) I'm a confessed lemonade junkie. Yes, I bring my own Simply Lemonade onboard. I brought it to the Chef's table and they served it on ice for me. Just ask for soda. They will usually try and accommodate you.

We also got 20% off by booking it once onboard and negotiating a little bit...

It is a lot of fun!

What approach did you use to negotiate? Show up at the last minute? Go on an off day? I am interested in trying as it would be a new experience for us and we'll be at sea for 8 days on our next cruise.

What approach did you use to negotiate? Show up at the last minute? Go on an off day? I am interested in trying as it would be a new experience for us and we'll be at sea for 8 days on our next cruise.

We got a deal on Legend by being at Chops on the first night. A waiter was walking through the room signing folks up. I think we only paid $55. Great meal