Advice needed...please help!!!

My DH and I are going on a 5 night cruise in Dec. for our 5th Anniversary. We currently have a Cat I oceaview stateroom reserved, but RCL just published a guaranteed Balcony for $589pp, this is $130pp more than I paid for our room. My question is...is it worth it? Should I get the upgrade and surprise my DH or shoudl I save the money for excursions,etc. Is a balcony stateroom really worth the extra money? I don't know what to do!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:D

A balcony room is very nice and worth the extra $$$, in my opinion. If money is an issue, one would have to make a judgement. Is the cruise for a special occasion, for example an anniversary? Then I would say go ahead and splurge. Can you have a great cruise vacation in either cabin? Absolutely.!!!

Hi Lia,

I have not actually taken my first cruise yet, but our first is 08/27/06 to Alaska so I could not imagine not having a balcony for the scenery. Also, I wanted a place where I could view the ocean going by like I was in my own little world. I know most on this board will say that a balcony is the absolute best way to go cruising and I'm not going to disagree with them. What it comes down to is your preference and what is important to you. If you really don't plan on spending much time in your cabin, then by all means stick with what you have and use the extra money for more shore excursions etc...but if your looking for a nice place to spend some quality romantic time with your DH, then I'd spend the money and get the balcony. I have a feeling you would not be sorry or regret it in the least.

Whichever you choose to do, Have a Wonderful Cruise! and allow me to wish you a Happy Anniversay in advance.

My DH and I are going on a 5 night cruise in Dec. for our 5th Anniversary. We currently have a Cat I oceaview stateroom reserved, but RCL just published a guaranteed Balcony for $589pp, this is $130pp more than I paid for our room. My question is...is it worth it? Should I get the upgrade and surprise my DH or shoudl I save the money for excursions,etc. Is a balcony stateroom really worth the extra money? I don't know what to do!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:D

We book balconies as much as we can. We really enjoy having them when the price difference is not too much. We also still go with inside cabins sometimes so we can go more often. We usually end up with one balcony and one inside per year. If is does not put too big a dent in the budget I would say give it a try. Then you will be able to make better educated choices later.

We book balconies as much as we can. We really enjoy having them when the price difference is not too much. We also still go with inside cabins sometimes so we can go more often. We usually end up with one balcony and one inside per year. If is does not put too big a dent in the budget I would say give it a try. Then you will be able to make better educated choices later.

I agree with blizzard. Our last two cruises we had balcony cabins and enjoyed them. Our next cruise will be in a category M inside :) . Dirt cheap! I can do either. There are things I love about having a balcony but I also find I miss out on a lot of what goes on up on deck because of it.

I think any 5 night cruise in a balcony for $589 pp is definitely worth it. Go for the balcony! A word of warning though, you may never want to go with anything lower after you take the balcony cabin. ;)

The trouble with booking a balcony is that it makes it hard to go back to an inside. I can't do it. In fact, we rarely book a cruise now unless we can get an aft cabin. If it were me, I'd grab the balcony guarantee. Hey,it's your anniversary. There's nothing nicer than toasting your special day with a glass of bubbly on the balcony.

I'm not sure which ship this is, but if it's the Grandeur, the rates might even go lower, since they're scrambling to fill the ship. (Or best case scenario, you might even get an upgrade.)

I agree with blizzard. Our last two cruises we had balcony cabins and enjoyed them. Our next cruise will be in a category M inside :) . Dirt cheap! I can do either. There are things I love about having a balcony but I also find I miss out on a lot of what goes on up on deck because of it.

Agree with you both! It's amazing how little we missed having a balcony after having one for years and years! Even when we've had mini-suites, we loved spending time on deck so a balcony has probably been a waste for us.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I found that I didn't explore the ship, and missed a lot of things when I had a balcony. So now I don't spend the extra money there but spend it on excursions or souvenirs and do the cheaper cabin.

But, it depends on how much "alone" time you want on this anniversary trip. And the price differential is pretty good; am I correct that it's a guarantee? If so, be sure it's not a guarantee category that's partially or completely obstructed with life boats etc. Then it would not be worth it at all!

I personally don't know what the big deal is about balcony cabins. I like to stretch out on a lounge chair, not sit up on a regular chair, during the day. We've had a balcony cabin before, in Alaska, but I doubt we will bother with one in a warm climate. The typical balconies are so tiny, unless we could do an aft balcony cabin, or get a real good deal on a balcony cabin, we'll save our money for entertainment and enjoyment of the ship.

We also felt as though we missed out on too much of the ship because we stayed on our balcony so much. Don't get me wrong, we did enjoy it, we were with a group of famliy/friends and had 5 balconies in a row. It wasn't until after we were off the ship that I realized we didn't see much of the rest of the ship on sea days.

Unless you can pay the $260 (sounds different than $130 per person, right?) and still afford to have some fun at the ports and on the ship, don't bother with it. I'd rather spend the $$ at the spa and a couple bottles of wine myself.

It all boils down to what you can afford to do, don't let anyone talk you into it if it will affect the rest of your cruise. We all go to the same ports, we all eat in the same dining room, we all have pretty much the same use of the rest of the ship. You do what is comfortable for you, and have an awesome cruise.

I'd just like to add that, if I were able to afford a suite, I'd be more prone to chartering a private yacht for a week. Upgrade your ship, not your cabin!

Personally I love having a balcony. We usually try to get aft then we have a lounger to stretch out on. I like to keep the door open a bit at night and listen to the ship rolling down the ocean. I love seeing Port come into view in my PJ's w/ a cup of coffee in my hand. I love reading a book out there on sea days when I need a break from the noise and fun up top. I am spoiled rotten I admit.

My boss has never cruised and he and his wife want to book a cruise, but his wife will only go if they have a balcony. My boss is a smoke freak and I told him the smoke will drive him nuts. I know him very well. The smell of smoke makes him ill and people who smoke usually get a balcony room. Was I right to tell him this?

Once you do balcony I really don't think you will do anything else. We prefer an aft cabin, we have done both and we absolutely love them. My wife usually orders room service in the morning (coffee,juice and sometimes danishes), I just hang out,take a nap,read a book, and not to mention the wonderful sunsets we have experienced. Also watching the stars and the moon reflect off the ocean. Get the balcony if you can you will not regret it.

Once you do balcony I really don't think you will do anything else.

Yes, for some, but not others....I've had insides, outsides, one balcony, with another coming up, but have had insides and outsides since the one balcony...It's all about the money honey ;).

Marie

Do the balcony!! But beware, once you have a balcony it is hard to do otherwise.

My DH and I love to sit on the balcony in the mornings, after a long day at the pool and before we retire. They are worth the extra $$$

Our very first cruise we had a balcony. Since then it has been insides or oceanviews for us. This cruise we are doing a balcony again because it turned out to be $30pp more than the Promenade room. For me a balcony is not worth the extra $230. But we have cruised before and know that we don't spend enough time in the room to justify the $230. That's our bar bill :)

In your case I would say go for it because you have never had one, and it is a special cruise for you. You'll never know if you like it or not if you don't try it. At $230 it isn't a lot of money to waste if you find out an inside is fine for you.

IMO

Bobbie

Our advice: Go for it and don't think twice! That price is good, IMO, even for a guarantee. You may end up in a location that is not your favorite, but I really don't think that any balcony cabin can be called "bad" (again, IMO). The upside is that you have the chance, admittedly slim, that you'll be upgraded to a JS or something truly special. In any case, you'll be able to enjoy the pleasure of having your own balcony escape.

Do save it as an anniversary surprise for your DH--mine would have thought that was heaven on earth. Imagine sitting together on your balcony enjoying a cold beverage, the view, the sea air, and each other. Plus the added benefit of it being the only outdoor place onboard that is "clothing optional"--no doubt your DH will love that aspect of it; mine sure does.;)

As mentioned, once you go balcony, you won't want to go back. (For us it was: inside, then oceanview, then balcony, balcony, balcony...next is a JS for us. However, any standard balcony cabin is okay in our book--but we would rather cruise less often with a balcony than more often without; they are that important for our enjoyment.)

Have a great trip and happy anniversary.:D

beachchick

My boss has never cruised and he and his wife want to book a cruise, but his wife will only go if they have a balcony. My boss is a smoke freak and I told him the smoke will drive him nuts. I know him very well. The smell of smoke makes him ill and people who smoke usually get a balcony room. Was I right to tell him this?

This has not been my experience. I have a bad reaction to smoke-so I do try to avoid it. Certainly some people have had heavy smokers near them--but I have not experienced that problem--and other than the Westerdam--we have always had a balcony....

So I would say that you may have steered your boss in the wrong direction.

Take the balcony!!!!!!!.

DH and I take a balcony everytime now and I agree with everyone else that said you will never want to go without a balcony ever again.

We have breakfast ordered in every morning. Sitting on the balcony enjoying a cup of coffee and eating breakfast is one of the things I look forward to. I love bagels with lox, capers and cream cheese. It is one of those things that I only eat on a cruise now and has become one of my cruise rituals, I guess.

In the evenings there is nothing quite like, getting a bottle of bubbly, popping the cork on the balcony and enjoying a quite moment listening to the sounds of waves as you pass by the islands. You can see the lights in the distance, if the moon isn't too bright. Then go to dinner and whatever entertainment you choose for the night...sometimes it is just a walk around the upper decks or possibly a game of floor shuffleboard up top...then end the evening enjoying a quiet nightcap on the balcony....ahhhh

Especially for your anniversary.....take the balcony, you won't regret the extra $$ it costs for this little bit of luxury

Robin

Archived