Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

Wynyard Station is closer for you. You can pick up the same line there' date=' same price. Platform 6.

However, I've just picked up on the timetable site that the lift is out of action at present to platform 6 (big renos happening at Wynyard).

You can check for yourself. All may be well in a week.

Trip planner for trains

Okidoki..... thanks x

Have you mentioned the 'news sheets' at guest services too. We loved having some potted news on board Celebrity.

Sudoku was always all gone by the time I got down there!

Keep up girl...... from the previous cruise.... were you on your own adventure then? :p :) ;)

DSCN6188.jpg

I would love your recipe. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This makes a lot..... fills a large pan.... I use it for family occasions substituting a GF cake.... I use a brand called Osem. Make it the day before required and don't sprinkle on the chocolate until just before serving. Add Kahlua as required..... it's not in the recipe but it really works!!

Linda's Tiramisu.docx

Edited by NorbertsNiece

From another board :

For anyone who's interested and hasn't heard--the Bali overnight stop has been cancelled on the March 13 sailing on the Millenium. Out of "an abundance of caution". I am in Singapore waiting to board tomorrow... we got the email and text from Celebrity a couple of days ago. (BTW, I was also on the Constellation in October which cancelled both Ashdod and Haifa stops; I'm starting to get used to this stuff happening...)

The Millennium itinerary originally :

Cruise Schedule: Singapore (13 Mar d1800); Bali, Indonesia (16 Mar 0800(+1)1800); Darwin, Australia (20 Mar 0700-2200); Cairns, Australia (24 Mar 0800-2000); Brisbane, Australia (27 Mar 0700-1800); Sydney, Australia (29 Mar a0630)

There are times when I'm really on the ball.... and other times I just drop it..... or miss it entirely..... I've Indonesian currency which will now go to waste..... not a whole lot but some...... ho hum.... only just realised that when I read the Milli roll call that has cancelled Bali.... they're boarding Sunday but leaving Monday now and arriving in Darwin for an overnight and long day. Darwin will love that!!

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Norbertsniece, could I ask if you can inform what if anything Celebrity provide to get people to Sydney airport when you dock, do they have coaches for this purpose.

We will be on the sailing out of Sydney when you leave and am thinking ahead for when we return we need to go to the airport to fly to Brisbane, I have seen many answers but wondered if there are any Celebrity provided methods.

Thank you in advance.

We will be on the same cruise and will use the train to take us out to the airport. We will be self disembarking as we have an early flight back to New Zealand. As long as the ship arrives on time we should be fine otherwise we may have to rely on travel insurance to pay for a later flight. We have an opal card which we have prepaid our train fare so transiting through the Circular Quay station should be minimal. Being familiar with Sydney will help us.

The cost of the shuttle is quite expensive but does a bit of a tour of Sydney before heading out to the airport. If time is of the essence then walking to the train and then off the airport would in my opinion be the best option. The trip from Circular Quay to the airport takes about 20 mins.

This makes a lot..... fills a large pan.... I use it for family occasions substituting a GF cake.... I use a brand called Osem. Make it the day before required and don't sprinkle on the chocolate until just before serving. Add Kahlua as required..... it's not in the recipe but it really works!!

Thank you for this Linda.

Also many thanks for the Spa treatment and prices list.

I feel like I am getting to know you through this blog. I wish you would still be on the ship when we get on in Sydney on 9th April because I'd like to meet you. :)

Thank you for this Linda.

Also many thanks for the Spa treatment and prices list.

I feel like I am getting to know you through this blog. I wish you would still be on the ship when we get on in Sydney on 9th April because I'd like to meet you. :)

I have another question for you if you don't mind :)

I am very interested to hear a comparison of the various speciality restaurants and what the menus are like. We would like to have a meal in at least one of them but not sure which one.

I've a reservation at Silk Harvest on Monday and will report back. $20. Made a deal. I seriously doubt they will trump (small t ;)) Murano. If you're only doing one this is the one. I paid $22.50 for Tuscan Grill and $25 for Murano. You can negotiate a price pretty much daily outside Oceanview and there are usually deals to be had on day of boarding too as you get off the ramp!!

Both Marine Traffic and Sea Scanner have no up to date information on your position - hmmmm, shades of the Marie Celeste :rolleyes:

You'll be back on the map soon I expect :D

I missed the list of Aussie Slang yesterday - very funny - you need to read Let's Talk Strine by Afferbeck Lauder ;) - say it quickly you'll get the idea!

However the definition of a Lemon, Lime and Bitters is very wrong. Have you had one? It is one of the most refreshing drinks in a hot humid climate. It's Lemonade, lime cordial and a dash of Angostura bitters.

Our Solstice CC group was somewhat fractured. Although we had a good roll up at the get together, and loads of officers in attendance as well as the CD, the lunch they have put on for you is amazing. Good job. :)

Well there you go. I've only just noticed that Sea Scanner gets its data from Marine Traffic.

There's one book mark I can get rid of :D

Oh, and FYI, there are apparently known 'black spots' along the coast. You may be in one I'm afraid.

Edited by I'm from Oz

It would appear that the RCCL group has made a short term policy to avoid Bali as one of the RCCL ships due there on the 17th will now spend extra time at sea. BEc ause we as passengers pay port fees if a port is deleted from an itinerary then some form of compensation should be made even if it means some cash added to the OBC

Edited by Beanb41

The technical stop at Willis Island is like a Jones Act thing. They do not dock. All they have to prove is their anchor was down for I think it was 15 minutes otherwise all your onboard drink will be very expensive. The island is outside Australian waters so as you are not going to Bali they need to go there otherwise it's an Oz only cruise.

When we were on Azamara this Jan we had a technical stop in the daytime and they arranged to broadcast a ship to island call over the pa. it was fascinating. The staff on the island stay for six months at a time. They gather lots if daily data and put up two balloons a day for atmospheric data. The young lady indicated they worked for many agencies - weather,tsunami warning, radiation etc. Reading between the lines it's places like that so beautiful and peaceful that are on the front line in monitoring Kim Jun Il and the likes.

Both Marine Traffic and Sea Scanner have no up to date information on your position - hmmmm' date=' shades of the Marie Celeste :rolleyes:

You'll be back on the map soon I expect :D

I missed the list of Aussie Slang yesterday - very funny - you need to read Let's Talk Strine by Afferbeck Lauder ;) - say it quickly you'll get the idea!

However the definition of a Lemon, Lime and Bitters is very wrong. Have you had one? It is one of the most refreshing drinks in a hot humid climate. It's Lemonade, lime cordial and a dash of Angostura bitters.

Our Solstice CC group was somewhat fractured. Although we had a good roll up at the get together, and loads of officers in attendance as well as the CD, the lunch they have put on for you is amazing. Good job. :)[/quote']

Had lemon, lime and bitters in Auckland. Delicious!!

The technical stop at Willis Island is like a Jones Act thing. They do not dock. All they have to prove is their anchor was down for I think it was 15 minutes otherwise all your onboard drink will be very expensive. The island is outside Australian waters so as you are not going to Bali they need to go there otherwise it's an Oz only cruise.

When we were on Azamara this Jan we had a technical stop in the daytime and they arranged to broadcast a ship to island call over the pa. it was fascinating. The staff on the island stay for six months at a time. They gather lots if daily data and put up two balloons a day for atmospheric data. The young lady indicated they worked for many agencies - weather,tsunami warning, radiation etc. Reading between the lines it's places like that so beautiful and peaceful that are on the front line in monitoring Kim Jun Il and the likes.

We didn't drop anchor. A helium balloon was released from the island. Same talk as you so am grateful for the input.

If no-one asks where I viewed the technical stop from I'll assume you're not following and won't bother to post the pics.

Europe is asleep but the US is awake..... :eek: :p

It would appear that the RCCL group has made a short term policy to avoid Bali as one of the RCCL ships due there on the 17th will now spend extra time at sea. BEc ause we as passengers pay port fees if a port is deleted from an itinerary then some form of compensation should be made even if it means some cash added to the OBC

Millie will be overnight in Singapore and Darwin..... will there be extra port fees involved there? I wonder how that affects the no port fees for Bali.....

Not sure what Radiance will be doing.....

Edit.... d'oh moment again..... so you're saying there should be port fees returned for our lack of visit to Bali though we had extra time in Darwin?

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Okay, Arizona will ask. From where did you observe the technical stop at Willis Island? (I'm really enjoying your blog. Thank you for doing it.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From the Bridge..... THE Bridge..... the one where the Captain sits....THAT Bridge.

From the Bridge..... THE Bridge..... the one where the Captain sits....THAT Bridge.

How exciting! That did cross my mind as a possibility when you mentioned it. What a once in a lifetime opportunity. Details, please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha! Well done ;) I was going to say "slept through it!" That is much more fun.

You have been a great ambassador for Solstice with your blog. Even my husband is pushing to go on Solstice early than we have already booked for next year. Don't think we can fit it in though :)

Wowser-powser! How cool is that?

So, I'll be on the Solstice next month (Hawaii to Vancouver) and originally hopped on Bit of a Blog just to get some live, current perspective of the ship. Here I am, these several weeks later, hanging on every GF word and eagerly waiting for the latest navigation location screen. Thanks so much!

I've been thinking about that Indonesian currency you're not going to be able to use...are any of the crew that were set to get off in Bali those who you'd be tipping extra? Just a thought.

Thanks again for the very engaging blog...I hope your group choir *concert* is recorded and posted here.

Tina tnfcruise

BTW, I'm not, but all the pics (except the bread) make me want to fake gluten intolerance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm a very lucky girl. A very lucky girl indeed. I cannot begin to describe how like a child at Christmas I felt this morning. The anticipation was huge. I'd been asked maybe 3 days ago if I would like to be a guest on the Bridge and then I had to zip it. I apologise sincerely to my friends for saying nothing both here and on social media. I did, however, tell one of my daughters back home.

I have been blessed with making some wonderful friends through CC and on board with guests and crew. I am going to miss this so much. Six more days.....

I will not be sharing any bridge 'machinery' pics. I was introduced to Captain Berdos and sat with JP and Ilias the staff captain for a while. I witnessed all conversations between the Bridge, Felicity on shore, the reef pilot (who really is incredibly tall) and Ben. I stood in the 'wings' and saw the Azipod controls working. I got close up to a red-footed booby. I wanted to skip down the corridor when it was all over. There are memorable happy days in a person's life and today was right up there at the top under getting married, giving birth to my three daughters and that call that each of three grandsons had been delivered safely. This comes next. Still chuffed to bits, nine hours later, can you tell?

Oh and there was a performance by Greg Andrew, The Elton John Experience, this afternoon. Wow. That man can play keyboards and rock it out. I managed the whole set at the back of deck 5 dancing away. The Solstice Orchestra were brilliant too.....

DSCN9028.jpg

DSCN9029.jpg

I was out and about really early. Pool at 7am.

DSCN9030.jpg

DSCN9031.jpg

You don't need a coffee and a GF muffin pic. The muffin was not good.

There's a sand bar and I climb up outside..... there's more underwater..... this is quite some navigation.

DSCN9038.jpg

DSCN9040.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece