Beginner Scuba Diving Grand Cayman

Carolina5o

I am contemplating on taking a beginning scuba diving course while at Grand Cayman. I have researched and found two dive shops that come highly recommended. They are Divers Down and Lobster Pot. I think either would be fine. What I would like though is to pick one where my wife , who is not going to dive, could have nearby access to the beach and shopping during the excursion. I have never been to GC and don't know the layout of the island in relation to the cruise tender pier. I do know both shops are on Church St. Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

most likely your resort dive will be from a beach, not a boat. You will have to do a little pool practice as well. You might get a boat dive after your comfortable breathing under water. I am certified and my wife is not, often time she goes out with us and snorkels over our bubbles.

Yeah. It will be from the beach. I'm just not sure how receptive the shop will be for her to hang out at their beach area. It is only going to be about 2.5 hours then we plan on hitting the beach afterwards. I've been wanting to dive for a while and think this is a good opportunity to try it.

I've not had any issues going with my DH while he dives if it's a beach dive. It seems like a lot of the dive companies partner with a beach club so that they both get business. Just email the company you want to use and ask.

The discover scuba dive is a great way to see if you enjoy diving. I did one in St. Thomas and had a nice dive. They had a small class time teaching the basics you have to know, then made you do the basic skills in the water like clearing your mask and retrieving your regulator. Think it is a pretty standard class through Padi. Hope you enjoy yours!

If you turn right when you get off the tenders, and walk a few blocks, there will be two dive centers on your right, Eden Rock and Don Fosters (edenrockdive dot com and donfosters dot com). My son and I did our PADI certification dives at Eden Rock, just offshore. If your wife snorkels, there is also a public snorkel park just before Eden Rock.

I would rather dive here than a beach. There are nice rock formations, caves and overhangs, and plenty of wildlife.

There should be some photos on my web site...

I am contemplating on taking a beginning scuba diving course while at Grand Cayman. I have researched and found two dive shops that come highly recommended. They are Divers Down and Lobster Pot. I think either would be fine. What I would like though is to pick one where my wife , who is not going to dive, could have nearby access to the beach and shopping during the excursion. I have never been to GC and don't know the layout of the island in relation to the cruise tender pier. I do know both shops are on Church St. Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi Dave

Welcome to cruise critic.

I haven't had experience with either of these companies.

My suggestion is just to call each of them and ask. They will be able to tell you exactly their situation. The people working at most dive shops are very helpful.

If you are looking for more personal recommendations I would suggest the Port of Call/Caribbean threads. Once you pull down that link you will find a link to each of the Caribbean islands including Grand Cayman. Ask there you should get lots of responses. Trip advisor is also a good resource for reviews.

have a great cruise

I really appreciate all the input. My cruise is less than 3 weeks away and my choices are dwindling. Though, I've read no reviews that were bad for any. I will check out Eden Rock and Cayman Turtle and confirm a booking tomorrow, Monday. I'll follow up with a review upon returning. Thanks again.

Sunset House

DW can chill at My Bar and use the pool while you 'play'

Contact Dive Shop via the hotel to arrange the Discovery Dive ... arranging a second tank is typically a problem. You won't be on the wall but I have more than 50 dives on the reef around Sunset and there is plenty to see IMO