Private tour operators for Alaska

cafelovercanada

We were wondering what your experiences have been with private non-princess tours. We will be in Keychikan, Juneau and Skagway in mid-June . Thanks for your feedback and recommendations!

Most tour operators in Alaska get pre booked fairly quickly . Time slots left for the pier are those that people want . Skagway can have five ships docked at the same time . Tours will and do get hectic without many spots left for walk ups.

Edited by Kamloops50

We were wondering what your experiences have been with private non-princess tours. We will be in Keychikan, Juneau and Skagway in mid-June . Thanks for your feedback and recommendations!

All the "tour operators" are "private", Princess does not operate any of the tours, in those ports.

There are numerous well run vendors, and excellent tours to choose from.

You, really, need to first, determine what tours you are interested in, then take a look at vendors.

Most tour operators in Alaska get pre booked fairly quickly . Time slots left for the pier are those that people want . Skagway can have five ships docked at the same time . Tours will and do get hectic without many spots left for walk ups.

Our TA suggested that we are safe in booking a tour right at the pier. Based on the responses here, we will narrow down our list of "to do's", look at the various vendors and then book.

Thanks !!

Our TA suggested that we are safe in booking a tour right at the pier.

Don't count on it for popular tours. Sure you can get the bus to Mendenhall Glacier or a ticket for Mt. Roberts Tram, but others will be booked solid.

Some ship based excursions like Tracy Arm (assuming you ship does not traverse it) will even sell out before sailing.

Our TA suggested that we are safe in booking a tour right at the pier. Based on the responses here, we will narrow down our list of "to do's", look at the various vendors and then book.

Thanks !!

You MIGHT luck out and find a wonderful vendor at the pier, but you also might end with someone with sub-par equipment, little knowledge, and have a very poor excursion.

Why take the chance when there are great vendors who are tried and true? Do some research and go with a vendor who is well recommended and will provide the type of experience you want.

The best place to find 'independent vendors' is by reading trip reports. Look in the Trip Report STICKYs above. You'll find first hand recommendations, with photos and detailed descriptions .... good and bad. Also, when you find a vendor of interest, run the name thru SEARCH THIS FORUM to find other threads.

We have full tour days but some time after our booked tour in Skagway to do a Glacier and musher camp flight. Was about to book but decided in the end to wait until the day and try our luck with weather and availability. We wont be disappointed if there is no availability at the pier - it will just be a bonus.

We have full tour days but some time after our booked tour in Skagway to do a Glacier and musher camp flight. Was about to book but decided in the end to wait until the day and try our luck with weather and availability. We wont be disappointed if there is no availability at the pier - it will just be a bonus.

This is a tour that is seldom offered at the "dock". And to think you will find something, "after a tour", isn't even likely. Maybe consider other ideas, so to fill the time.

We used family air for misty fjords flightseeing in ketchikan, lost in alaska for whale watching in Juneau, and went through the cruise ship for glacier point wilderness safari in skagway. Highly recommend all of these, but none were bookable at the pier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We are doing glacier point wilderness safari too - booked through the cruise plus Gastineau whale and glacier photo trip - but this is only bookable through the cruise. Deadliest Catch can be booked privately which we did as the cruiseline was adding an additional $ add on. And that isnt until 1.30pm leaving us from 10am until 1.30 free. The misty fjords early flight is already full - contacted Island Wings but the only flight available wasn't the one we wanted.

In Skagway the ship doesn't leave until 8pm so the afternoon is free but maybe the safari will be enough.

Edited by Pushka

When we cruise Alaska, I usually rent a big (huge?) lens that draws comments like "Are you shooting for Nat Geo? No, maybe the BBC?" etc. I draw lots of stares/gawks/questions, but I find it interesting which tour vendors offer me XYZ tour for XYZ price, but I've already got a better tour booked (though probably the same or more money). Although one shouldn't judge a book by its cover, the people pitching these tours to me as a walk-up are what I'd consider "questionable moral quality", either driving a Hummer to get attention, or presenting various odors, none of which I'd like to be near for my tour, or showing an obvious lack of some teeth. Again, not to judge the tour completely by the pitch person, but I'd rather pick a tour from an established vendor with reliable equipment, great reviews, the right-size vehicle/vessel for the job, etc. Much of this research needs to be done prior to arrival. If your expectations are simply lower, you can gamble on walk-up tours; I don't let that happen.

The misty fjords early flight is already full - contacted Island Wings but the only flight available wasn't the one we wanted.

there are numerous excellent LONG time, well established vendors in Ketchikan who fly Misty Fiords. This is one tour, that IS VERY available for walk up guests.

When we cruise Alaska, I usually rent a big (huge?) lens that draws comments like "Are you shooting for Nat Geo? No, maybe the BBC?" etc. I draw lots of stares/gawks/questions, but I find it interesting which tour vendors offer me XYZ tour for XYZ price, but I've already got a better tour booked (though probably the same or more money). Although one shouldn't judge a book by its cover, the people pitching these tours to me as a walk-up are what I'd consider "questionable moral quality", either driving a Hummer to get attention, or presenting various odors, none of which I'd like to be near for my tour, or showing an obvious lack of some teeth. Again, not to judge the tour completely by the pitch person, but I'd rather pick a tour from an established vendor with reliable equipment, great reviews, the right-size vehicle/vessel for the job, etc. Much of this research needs to be done prior to arrival. If your expectations are simply lower, you can gamble on walk-up tours; I don't let that happen.

What narrow, outrageous assumptions you are making. I am in Alaska frequently and absolutely, disagree with your assessments.

We did water bikes in Ketchican and Train/bike in Skagway. Both were independent tours booked online before leaving. Did the dog sled/glacier tour in Juneau through the ship. The helicopter up to the dog sled camp on the Glacier was amazing. Research every option before booking. Next time I go to Alaska I want to do the land/cruise tours. One week is not enough!

Oh wow, Thanks Budget Queen. That is brilliant!

You need to get off your ship, right when it clears, and head to visitor kiosk/visitor center.

It is pretty easy to get Misty flights, at the dock, if you are flexible on vendors and time.

You need to get off your ship, right when it clears, and head to visitor kiosk/visitor center.

It is pretty easy to get Misty flights, at the dock, if you are flexible on vendors and time.

10am arrival so will scoot off straight away. :p

. The misty fjords early flight is already full - contacted Island Wings but the only flight available wasn't the one we wanted.

There are other vendors besides Island Wings.

Several are listed on the town web sites. Check out the details of the tours to see the differences/similarities..... type of plane, length of tour, a landing, etc

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/alaska-air-charters.html

http://visit-ketchikan.com/en/Things-To-Do/Tours-Sightseeing/Misty-Fjords