Tipping the Tour Guide?

Lynda90

We always tip but the amount really depends on a lot of factors. If it is a real personal tour or we received added attention, then about 15% to 20% of the tour price per person. If it is a shuttle bus with a few details added by the driver, then maybe a couple of bucks each. It just depends. I have noticed that a lot of people do not tip so I think they appreciate anything.

Good question, by the way.

This issue depends a lot on the country that you are visiting. Some countries, such as Japan (there are others), frown on tipping at all! You need to check out the local customs first. As a rule, however, for the PRINCESS shoure excursions via motor coach: tours up to 4 hours, $2 per person; 7-8 hours, $5 per person. Overnight shore excursions are another matter ... probably $10 per person per day? (These are usually accompanied by a member of the shore excursion staff ... ask them for suggestions!)

We usually tip anywehre from $2pp up to $10pp depending on the tour and how much "entertaining" we have experienced.

For instance, on a Princess tour in Alaska, where they took us to a gold mine, we ended up tipping the train conductor (small little touristy train) a couple of dollars each, as he played the banjo and sang, and tipped the driver $5 per couple (we were with her all day, but she provided only a brief commentary). On the same trip, we tipped another bus driver $2pp and she only drove us from the train station in Anchorage to our hotel. She did, however, tell us a lot about Anchorage while we were with her and made a couple of recommendations as to good places to eat and to visit - all in about 15 minutes.

On snorkel trips, we'll tip more, usually $5 pp as a base and up to the $10 for really personal exceptional service.

Another excursion, where the operator/owner of the excursion was the sole person who provided a service for us, we tipped him nothing, based on the wives experience that if the person is the owner, you don't tip him/her as he was getting paid exactly what he was asking to be paid.

Another excursion, where the operator/owner of the excursion was the sole person who provided a service for us, we tipped him nothing, based on the wives experience that if the person is the owner, you don't tip him/her as he was getting paid exactly what he was asking to be paid.

Thanks Genessa! The tour we are going on is owned and operated by the tour guide. So, I was wondering about whether or not to tip him. There are 10 of us going and the cost is $60pp.

Thanks Genessa! The tour we are going on is owned and operated by the tour guide. So, I was wondering about whether or not to tip him. There are 10 of us going and the cost is $60pp.

I have also heard that you do not tip the owner, if the owner is the tour guide. Though I also have this situation coming up where our tour guide is a one many operation and also owner of the company. I have heard others have tipped him.....

you could still tip him if you want. The tour we were on where the owner was the operator and guide it "felt" right not to tip him. There were only 4 of us and him. He provided full blown commentary, but that was what THAT specific tour was all about.

We have gone off on our own, bargained a price with a taxi driver (dh bargains) and then paid them more than we bargained for if we received more than we bargained for.

Most operators will let you know when tipping is "appreciated." They will either mention the tips at the end of the tour or have a hat/sign type of obstruction near where you disembark. Some even hold out their hands. They are not shy. :rolleyes: We normally tip the same amounts as others have listed above.

One thing to remember, The owner of a tour operation will usually have crew to pay. Our favorite shore excursion in GC is run/lead by the owners and we tip them well! ;)

When you are on a tour with both a driver and a guide, does the guide share the tips he or she receives with the driver, or should you tip both? I normally tip just the guide, figuring that there is an arrangement already in place to split tips. I hope I haven't been stiffing the drivers! :eek:

When we take the ship's tours, we usually take a half-day "overview" type.

Normal tipping for us would be $2.00 per person to the tour guide, and $1.00 per person to the driver. US $2.00 bills seem to be appreciated - the US Sacajewa "golden dollar" coin is not popular, particularly in China.

Their banks might not accept foreign coins for exchange.

Plus, if you don't know better it looks like a quarter. Since these aren't common even in the U.S. any longer, I doubt even Chinese tour guides who deal with Americans all the time are familar with them.

I seems I tip a bit more than the average. OTOH, I'd say this depends on if it is a ship tour or direct booking. Since the price through the ship is going to be maybe 50% higher on average, I'd say the percentage tip for a direct booking should be 50% higher so the operator doesn't get stiffed for giving you a cheaper price. Sort of like tipping on the regular prices rather than the actual bill when you use a coupon at a restaurant...

Since I worked as a waitress in the past, I also probably tip on the high side. I will probably tip our private tour operators. Since the price for fuel has increased, our tour operators have not raised their prices. As small business owners, their profits have decreased some. The tip amount will depend on the service.

Diane

Archived