Upsell timing, negotiation, and obc

samisone

Around final payment time, I'll decide on a maximum amount that we'd pay for an upgrade if one is offered. That way, if we receive an upgrade offer, we don't waste time deciding. I jump on it immediately if it is within my pre-decided amount. That way we don't lose out and we may get a choice of several cabins. If it is too much, I simply don't respond.

We book directly with HAL through a PCC. I don't think that gives us any advantage in receiving an offer, but it does give us a time advantage in responding.

Around final payment time, I'll decide on a maximum amount that we'd pay for an upgrade if one is offered. That way, if we receive an upgrade offer, we don't waste time deciding. I jump on it immediately if it is within my pre-decided amount. That way we don't lose out and we may get a choice of several cabins. If it is too much, I simply don't respond.

We book directly with HAL through a PCC. I don't think that gives us any advantage in receiving an offer, but it does give us a time advantage in responding.

I worked with a ta for many years and saw maybe one offer. Now that I use a PCC I see them on most cruises if they are available on my cruise.

Only Neptune Suites get priority tendering. The veranda doors are floor to ceiling, which is what I guess they are meaning by that perk. Am I wrong on this?

Plus 4 and 5* Mariners on tendering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked with a ta for many years and saw maybe one offer. Now that I use a PCC I see them on most cruises if they are available on my cruise.

My bet is that HAL offers the upsells to everyone (why not as it is beneficial to them), but that some (not all of course) TAs are slow to get the offers out to their clients.

Thats one of the things that I like about using a PCC - the upsell offers are sent directly to me and its up to me to decide if and how fast to respond. Cutting out the middle man has to speed things up.

My bet is that HAL offers the upsells to everyone (why not as it is beneficial to them), but that some (not all of course) TAs are slow to get the offers out to their clients.

Thats one of the things that I like about using a PCC - the upsell offers are sent directly to me and its up to me to decide if and how fast to respond. Cutting out the middle man has to speed things up.

On one of my cruises many people got an upsell. I learned about it on the roll call. My ta phoned and Hal told her I didn't qualify for the upsell and I was not able to get it. I've also been in the situation on a roll call when others have not gotten an upsell. While they may go out to a great many people in my experience they do not go out to everyone.

This cruise is selling at greatly reduced pricing in my area. Some very good deals (in CND!).

I think HAL is having quite a hard time selling this one: some unusual ports that may not appeal to all, lots of sea days and no US disembarkation port.

With the CND as it is, the pricing WAS quite high; now it looks as if HAL is trying with upsells to empty out the insides and outsides to make some profit off the higher level staterooms.

Surprised this upsell is not to a "V" Category. I hope this works out for the OP!!!

Do signature suites get priority tendering and boarding? I'm also confused by the window comment.

I thought that suites got priority tendering. The windows in the suite are floor to ceiling according to the Hal website, which would a big upgrade from the smaller Oceanview window.

Priority tendering, such as it is these days, is Neptune and Pinnacle Suites as well as Four and Five Star Mariners.

All priority tendering means is that you can get in the tender lineup without first picking up a number and waiting for that number to be called before you get in line.

Priority tendering doesn't mean that you get to go to the head of the line but it does save some time.

All priority tendering means is that you can get in the tender lineup without first picking up a number and waiting for that number to be called before you get in line.

Priority tendering doesn't mean that you get to go to the head of the line but it does save some time.

Incorrect, Priority Tendering folks go to a separate line and board the tender ahead of all others. At least it was done that way on our Last cruise.

Incorrect, Priority Tendering folks go to a separate line and board the tender ahead of all others. At least it was done that way on our Last cruise.

Please don't tell people they are incorrect when you are only going by one cruise. Sapper1's experience mirrors ours and we have done a number of cruises. We have never gone on a tender before others ever, in a separate line or what you are describing. And I was 4* for a number of cruises before I became 5.

Edited by kazu

I've never had that happen and I've been a four star for many years. I think you've been lucky.

Please don't tell people they are incorrect when you are only going by one cruise. Sapper1's experience mirrors ours and we have done a number of cruises. We have never gone on a tender before others ever, in a separate line or what you are describing. And I was 4* for a number of cruises before I became 5.

Sorry I only mentioned the last cruise but we have always gotten priority tender privilege you just need to known where to go and what to do!

We are also 5* and it is a perk at that level sorry you are not taking the opportunity to use it.

Sorry I only mentioned the last cruise but we have always gotten priority tender privilege you just need to known where to go and what to do!

We are also 5* and it is a perk at that level sorry you are not taking the opportunity to use it.

Since CC is for sharing information, perhaps you could tell us newish 5*s how it is done ;). I don't know how comfortable I would be bumping other but information is always good.;)

Generally speaking though the other experience is valid and helpful as more CC members are 4* than 5*

Edited by kazu

Since CC is for sharing information, perhaps you could tell us newish 5*s how it is done ;). I don't know how comfortable I would be bumping other but information is always good.;)

Generally speaking though the other experience is valid and helpful as many CC members are 4*

Happy to share!

Since becoming 4* now 5* whenever we cruise and have a tender port if we want to go ashore we just go straight to the tender boarding area showing our room card that shows the * level. We bypass the tender tickets process. Every time they allow us to board first with the exception of those that have booked shore exc's. Usually we are either directed to board 1st or there is a separate line for Mariners. Some passengers ? Why we get to go 1st and usually the crew member explains the reasoning.

It helps that I am an aggressive person and believe in our entitled benefits after cruising with HAL over 25 years!

Happy to share!

Since becoming 4* now 5* whenever we cruise and have a tender port if we want to go ashore we just go straight to the tender boarding area showing our room card that shows the * level. We bypass the tender tickets process. Every time they allow us to board first with the exception of those that have booked shore exc's. Usually we are either directed to board 1st or there is a separate line for Mariners. Some passengers ? Why we get to go 1st and usually the crew member explains the reasoning.

It helps that I am an aggressive person and believe in our entitled benefits after cruising with HAL over 25 years!

Oh then, no big surprise thanks.

We have always bypassed tender tickets (unless our group is too large) and just merge in the line. That's fine by us.

Works the same basically. I'm not comfortable being aggressive nor entitled and prefer to get what we need by smiling (you get more bees with honey). Different strokes ;)

Thanks for sharing.

We are five star so we have had priority tendering for several years now and for several cruises. I have never seen a dedicated line for priority tendering. I also don't feel entitled or aggressive enough to form one.

Edited by sapper1

We are five star so we have had priority tendering for several years now and for several cruises. I have never seen a dedicated line for priority tendering. I also don't feel entitled or aggressive enough to form one.

We did NOT form a line it was there since the ship and crew recognizes their Mariners.

As far as you're "entitled" comment isn't that why you are loyal to a line, to reach a level where you are rewarded? Why else have programs to recognize Mariners?

Thanks for your kind comments!

We did NOT form a line it was there since the ship and crew recognizes their Mariners.

As far as you're "entitled" comment isn't that why you are loyal to a line, to reach a level where you are rewarded? Why else have programs to recognize Mariners?

Thanks for your kind comments!

May I also kindly point out that I did not accuse you of forming your own line. I said I would not form one.