Retreat Cabana for a Fall Transatlantic?

jerseygirl3

We'll be on a westbound Transatlantic in November. Any opinion on whether a Retreat Cabana is worth it? I've heard if it's windy they shut them down and you don't get a refund. I'd hate to spend all that money and find we're unable to use it.

Anybody have experience with this?

"Worth it" is a totally personal value judgment only you can make. To us, they are "worth it", but that should rightly have absolutely no impact on your decision, because we are not you.

A little search and reading on the cabanas would reveal it needs to be VERY windy, usually coupled with rain. Wind alone rarely closes the Retreat. Even if they do close it, the cabana stewards will try to compensate you for your loss. In our case, we camped by the Lido pool, and the cabana stewards brought us fruit, bottled water, a full bottle of champagne and the chocolate covered strawberries at the Lido.

"Worth it" is a totally personal value judgment only you can make. To us, they are "worth it", but that should rightly have absolutely no impact on your decision, because we are not you.

A little search and reading on the cabanas would reveal it needs to be VERY windy, usually coupled with rain. Wind alone rarely closes the Retreat. Even if they do close it, the cabana stewards will try to compensate you for your loss. In our case, we camped by the Lido pool, and the cabana stewards brought us fruit, bottled water, a full bottle of champagne and the chocolate covered strawberries at the Lido.

By "worth it" I actually meant since it's a Transatlantic, is the Retreat Cabana likely to be usable? I'm sure it's not even an issue on a Caribbean cruise, but wondered if others' experience had been favorable when using it during a Transatlantic crossing.

Did the TA on the NA in early November of 2014 and booked a retreat cabana. It was usable for all but one afternoon when a squall came through for a few hours and then was reopened early evening. Not sure what your itinerary is but if you are generally going the Spain to Azores route, the weather was very conducive to using the retreat up til a half day out from the Azores when it got cooler. It took another day out (westbound) of the Azores for the air to become nice and warm again. Those in-between period were comfortable with a Sweater/sweatshirt. Additionally we had were alone in the retreat with exception of one other couple. For us it was perfect.

So, after all the stellar reviews, we decided to go ahead and book a Family Retreat Cabana. We got the Capri (we actually had a choice between Capri and Costa del Sol). Hope that was a good choice. Is there any preference for one vs the other?

The family cabanas are great! In my eyes both are equally good.