Alaska Cruise- family celebration

jjdance

Hi folks at CC,

I've been reading the boards, etc and getting lots of great info and also getting a bit confused so I've finally mustered up the courage to write to you all. We are celebrating my in law's 50th wedding anniversary by all going on a cruise to Alaska- this trip has been their hearts desire! We are looking at a 7 day cruise to happen this August 2016. We are all first timers and we all live in different parts of the country so coordination will be a challenge.

We have a family of 8 adults (ages 39-79) and 2 (grand)kids (4 year old girl and 9 year old boy)The 9 year old is active and social and will want to seek out other kids his age to have fun and run around while on the boat. I imagine that the kids club and orientation will be the place to meet other kiddos.

A few questions:

1. Is it better to take a one way trip (northbound) so leaving Vancouver and ending in Alaska and then flying back from Alaska or doing a round trip Seattle-Alaska-Seattle? Is the inner passage the way to go (i'm not even sure what the alternative to that might be!)

2. I have read on CC that people say that Vancouver is a better port than Seattle bec too much time is spent at sea (2 full days out of 7). Then again, I have also just read that people really enjoy their sea days.

3. Disney is too expensive for us given that 4 adults have no kids, so we are considering Celebrity Solstice (better food more "upscale") or Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Sea (more kids activities). These ships were suggested to my sister-in-law by a travel agent. I have also read great reviews of Norwegian, Princess cruise lines. Since its a special celebration, we want a cruise line that is better than a "middle of the road" (not even sure if there is such a thing as all the cruise lines seem very nice) and want to splurge a little for this special occasion but that said, we don't want to be paying an incredibly high amount (i.e. Disney.) so what do you feel is the best value for money in terms of cruise lines ?

4. I keep reading about Radiance of the Sea, and Millenium (these are the one way ships) but people complain that the ship is too old or too boring or this and that. Also being one way ships it seems like an added difficulty to get to Seward and take the train to Alaska (someone else mentioned that the water gets very choppy in Seward!)

5. Cabin placement/ being first timers we feel a balcony is important so we don't fee claustrophobi- I get sea sick so have read that mid ship is the best placement. People have all sorts of opinions about rooms but in my minds eye I was envisioning sitting no the balcony enjoying the sites and having a glass of wine/cocktail and not even getting sea sickness (i'm going to track down the blackmores travel calm ginger tablets that I read about in one of the boards)

6. People have said that travel insurance (not thru the boat) is a must in case of any medical emergencies. I do worry about the potential for an extreme situation but do you get insurance?

7. Excursions- do you have any "can't miss" excursions

8. Perks, etc. Is there any way to maximize on this or just trust a travel agent to seek these out? A friend said I should book thru Costco but I was thinking a travel agent might best be able to handle all the ins and outs and mysterious ways of cruise travels.

9. I apologize in advance for my ignorance and confusion and the length of my questions. I would be grateful for even one response to any of my questions.

I have noted the positive and helpful response from all those on CC and am looking forward to any advice you all might have time to share with me.

All best,

Jean

Los Angeles, CA

Jean, you've asked a lot of great questions. For those that related to Alaska I would ask them on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

I will try to cover a few though.

If you want to spend time in Alaska before or after the cruse such as an overland program then a one way cruise would be the way to go. However, if you don't have plans for that I would recommend a R/T cruise of the inner passage and I would recommend taking a R/T out of Vancouver. I would also recommend arriving there a couple of days before your cruise but whatever you do I would avoid flying in the day of your cruise as a cancelled or delayed flight could cause you to miss the ship.

In terms of itineraries while not a must if you could find one that includes cruising Glacier Bay that is very special. Unfortunately, Celebrity is not allowed to cruise Glacier Bay. As I said it is not a must but nice.

We are not allowed to discuss travel agents on this board.

In terms of insurance you can purchase insurance from the cruise line but also take a look at purchasing it on our own which is easy to do. A site we use that allows for easy comparison of policies is: http://www.insuremytrip.com

In terms of cabin placement I would recommend a room towards the middle of the ship. The nice thing about the inside passage out of Vancouver is that typically the seas are calm but and this is a big but you never know so it is possible to have seas with some roughness so in addition to cabin placement I would bring something to prevent nausea. Ginger Tablets are good as for us Bonine works well. Hopefully you won't need anything but consider bringing more than one remedy. A room with a balcony is certainly very nice.

There are a lot of options out there for cruise lines. Take a look at Princess and Holland in addition to Celebrity.

Once you finalize your booking then if you go to the Alaska Ports of Call board and list out your itinerary people can give you advice on things to do but just tell them up front the types of things you might want to do such as Whale Watching or Fishing or whatever. There is a lot to choose from.

Your trip will be great. I hope some of my answers will be of assistance to you.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You need to see a travel agent. In order to view the inside passage, you need to sail out of Vancouver or Seward or Whittier. I strongly suggest you get the main flying out of the way and everyone meet in Anchorage or Whittier. Arrive a day or 2 earlier so that you all can rest up before the cruise.

If you want a balcony cabin, you need to book soon as they go quickly.

HAL and Princess pretty much have all the permits for Glacier Bay. But if you can't find a cruise you like that goes to Glacier Bay, then look for a cruise that goes to Hubbard Glacier. We actually like Hubbard Glacier as the ice calving there is larger and bluer.

We always buy insurance and since we elderly, we also get a separate medical policy as Medicare and Security Blue are not accepted in Vancouver.

Perks -- don't count on anyone giving you a lot of perks.

Since we don't know what ports you may have........

Juneau -- Whale watching, Blue bus to Mendenhal Glacier, if you have a clear day, Mt Roberts Tram.

Sitka -- Sea Otter and Wildlife adventure.

Skagway -- White Pass Train.

Ketchikan -- Saxman Village, Totem Bight, Walk to Creek Street.

If you can't absorb the cost of the cruise, should something cause you to cancel, or can't afford the HUGE charges to be evacuated from the ship, should there be an illness or injury the ship can't treat......you need insurance. Ship's clinic is fine for tummy aches, bruises, small cuts, sprains..but for a real medical emergency, they will evacuate you to the nearest hospital. It can be VERY pricey....

An Alaskan cruise is all about Alaska..and not so much about the ship! Pools aren't really a factor and you'll be off the ship in ports most of the time.

You need to figure out what in Alaska you want to see...and pick a ship that does those things! A guidebook will be very useful in learning about Alaska!

Congratulations on taking the plunge! Alaska is an amazing cruise, and remains my all time favorite cruise. I took the Radiance in 2001 on the first sailing to Alaska. Here's my experience, in order of the questions you asked:

1) & 2) I did Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver. Personally, I prefer a port intensive cruise with Alaska. Alaska is a natural beauty and an amazing place. I've been on 6 cruises and I love sea days, but in this instance, I'd leave from the port that gives you the least amount of sea days.

3) & 4) We went on the Radiance. Do keep in mind that Radiance will be getting a "makeover" of sorts in a few months, so it'll look nice. I don't know anything about Explorer of Seas, but if I did it again, it would be a toss up between Solstice and Radiance.

5) I was on deck 10 I think it was. Room 1 something.. I get motion sick extremely easy, but for some reason I've never gotten sea sick. This is probably the most surprising and least likely of concerns you'll have. I did the inside passage, and a balcony is a MUST. I saw all kinds of wildlife from my balcony. Bears, bald eagles, etc etc. You won't regret it.

6) I don't think I've ever had cruise insurance. If you book this on a credit card, look into the travel insurance options they offer. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can offer assistance.

7) I can't remember the specific places I did my excursions at the moment. The helicopter to the glacier, white pass train ride, float plane, and the tram to the top of the mountain were absolutely staggering and forever burned into my memory. The float plane and the helicopter are expensive, but as I type this, there's a smile on my face from the memories of it.

8) Where to book will forever be a controversial subject on this forum. Personally, I like "the cruise guy" and "cruises only". Both of these are top 15 cruise brokers. I've received quotes from both and they are pretty good. The biggest perk you'll most likely get is onboard credit, which you'll most likely get with the brokers I mentioned.

I'd be thrilled to offer more advice and answer any questions you have!

Hi folks at CC,

I've been reading the boards, etc and getting lots of great info and also getting a bit confused so I've finally mustered up the courage to write to you all. We are celebrating my in law's 50th wedding anniversary by all going on a cruise to Alaska- this trip has been their hearts desire! We are looking at a 7 day cruise to happen this August 2016. We are all first timers and we all live in different parts of the country so coordination will be a challenge.

We have a family of 8 adults (ages 39-79) and 2 (grand)kids (4 year old girl and 9 year old boy)The 9 year old is active and social and will want to seek out other kids his age to have fun and run around while on the boat. I imagine that the kids club and orientation will be the place to meet other kiddos.

A few questions:

1. Is it better to take a one way trip (northbound) so leaving Vancouver and ending in Alaska and then flying back from Alaska or doing a round trip Seattle-Alaska-Seattle? Is the inner passage the way to go (i'm not even sure what the alternative to that might be!)

2. I have read on CC that people say that Vancouver is a better port than Seattle bec too much time is spent at sea (2 full days out of 7). Then again, I have also just read that people really enjoy their sea days.

3. Disney is too expensive for us given that 4 adults have no kids, so we are considering Celebrity Solstice (better food more "upscale") or Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Sea (more kids activities). These ships were suggested to my sister-in-law by a travel agent. I have also read great reviews of Norwegian, Princess cruise lines. Since its a special celebration, we want a cruise line that is better than a "middle of the road" (not even sure if there is such a thing as all the cruise lines seem very nice) and want to splurge a little for this special occasion but that said, we don't want to be paying an incredibly high amount (i.e. Disney.) so what do you feel is the best value for money in terms of cruise lines ?

4. I keep reading about Radiance of the Sea, and Millenium (these are the one way ships) but people complain that the ship is too old or too boring or this and that. Also being one way ships it seems like an added difficulty to get to Seward and take the train to Alaska (someone else mentioned that the water gets very choppy in Seward!)

5. Cabin placement/ being first timers we feel a balcony is important so we don't fee claustrophobi- I get sea sick so have read that mid ship is the best placement. People have all sorts of opinions about rooms but in my minds eye I was envisioning sitting no the balcony enjoying the sites and having a glass of wine/cocktail and not even getting sea sickness (i'm going to track down the blackmores travel calm ginger tablets that I read about in one of the boards)

6. People have said that travel insurance (not thru the boat) is a must in case of any medical emergencies. I do worry about the potential for an extreme situation but do you get insurance?

7. Excursions- do you have any "can't miss" excursions

8. Perks, etc. Is there any way to maximize on this or just trust a travel agent to seek these out? A friend said I should book thru Costco but I was thinking a travel agent might best be able to handle all the ins and outs and mysterious ways of cruise travels.

9. I apologize in advance for my ignorance and confusion and the length of my questions. I would be grateful for even one response to any of my questions.

I have noted the positive and helpful response from all those on CC and am looking forward to any advice you all might have time to share with me.

All best,

Jean

Los Angeles, CA

Look at Oceania, whose fares include airfare, specialty restaurants and beverages, internet and a choice of other free perks (e.g., several excursions) in addition to any OBC from your TA (find a top producer for O since their commission rate is based on their total O sales). Also, many travel experts agree that Oceania has the best food at sea.

Do 10 days Vancouver to Seattle inside passage including Hubbard Glacier (O's smaller ship gets "up close and personal").

As for "must do" excursions, skip helicopter to glacier (save your money for the future helicopter to NaPali Coast on Kauai). Instead, do a floatplane but make sure it's one of the historic Dehavillands (before they disappear).

Look at Oceania, whose fares include airfare, specialty restaurants and beverages, internet and a choice of other free perks (e.g., several excursions) in addition to any OBC from your TA (find a top producer for O since their commission rate is based on their total O sales). Also, many travel experts agree that Oceania has the best food at sea.

(before they disappear).

The OP said that Disney is too expensive, so Oceania, although my favorite line, would be far too expensive for them and their extended family.

Radiance Class ships are beautiful and they have the ability to attract multi-generations with lots of things to do for all ages. The kids will be kept busy and the adults will find a lot to keep them happy. Radiance Class ships aren't too big so as to be overwhelming.

I always get insurance, especially since my mom, who was 79 at the time, fell and broke her hip on a cruise ship and needed to be medically evacuated back to the US. Without insurance, which we buy from a website called InsureMyTrip.com, we would have been out thousands of dollars. I've had to cancel cruises at the last minute due to health issues and if I hadn't had insurance, I would have been out thousands of dollars in lost cruise fare.

For us, doing a round trip is the best as we find getting back home from Seward was a giant pain in the behind. But, if you do Vancouver to Vancouver, all of you will need passports, as Canada requires it. We do Seattle to Seattle and didn't need passports because this was what's called a closed loop cruise, where you start and end your cruise in the same US port.

The OP said that Disney is too expensive, so Oceania, although my favorite line, would be far too expensive for them and their extended family.

Radiance Class ships are beautiful and they have the ability to attract multi-generations with lots of things to do for all ages. The kids will be kept busy and the adults will find a lot to keep them happy. Radiance Class ships aren't too big so as to be overwhelming.

I always get insurance, especially since my mom, who was 79 at the time, fell and broke her hip on a cruise ship and needed to be medically evacuated back to the US. Without insurance, which we buy from a website called InsureMyTrip.com, we would have been out thousands of dollars. I've had to cancel cruises at the last minute due to health issues and if I hadn't had insurance, I would have been out thousands of dollars in lost cruise fare.

For us, doing a round trip is the best as we find getting back home from Seward was a giant pain in the behind. But, if you do Vancouver to Vancouver, all of you will need passports, as Canada requires it. We do Seattle to Seattle and didn't need passports because this was what's called a closed loop cruise, where you start and end your cruise in the same US port.

It's all about the airfare, included amenities (current version of O Life offers about 4 free excursions on 10 day cruise) and TA OBC, etc.

We compared bottom line for Alaska cruises in 2014 and O was about the same as Celebrity -all pricing considered.

You've received a lot of good tips here so I'll just give you a little of our experience. We decided to leave from Seattle since we had free flights to use in the continental US. We also had a 7 year old at the time and the flight from PA to Seattle seemed scary long enough lol.

We took the Grand Princess, it wasn't the biggest ship but it had an indoor pool which was a must for our daughter. Just something to keep in mind if you have kids going, the kids clubs on those smaller shops that go to Alaska aren't usually the best (especially since we've been on the Disney Dream 3 times and that has an unbelievable kids club).

We did a lot of excursions and the ports that we stopped at had really cute little towns within walking distance, which was really cool. We spent quite a lot on excursions because we thought this was a once in a lifetime trip ( which we now know it won't be because it was our favorite trip out of anywhere we've been). We took a helicopter and landed on a glacier, we did a dog sled excursion and a ducky tour (which was more affordable than the others and pretty cool). But, depending on where you go, if someone doesn't want to spend the money, like I said the little towns are really neat.

We have done Alaska twice and loved it both times.

First trip, in 2012, was aboard the Star Princess, round-trip out of Seattle. Puget Sound is beautiful. Yes, there were two sea days, which honestly, are great for relaxing and catching your breath.

Second trip, in 2015, was south bound from Seward to Vancouver, on the Radiance, after 4 days on land. There were 2 sea days on this trip, too. One stopped at the Hubbard Glacier, but you remain on the ship, so it is still a sea day. Our ship came within a mile of the glacier, turning in place several times. Listen for the white thunder. It's truly breathtaking.

Inside passage thru the Tracy Arm Fjord was amazing. Saw lots of whales there, and the North (or was it South?) Sawyer Glacier. The mountains feel close enough to touch but are over half a mile away. Passing a sister ship really gave you a sense of the scale.

In Skagway, the White Pass Train is a great trip. It's relaxing, and you still have plenty of time to walk around town and shop afterward.

In Juneau, whale watching was great fun, as was the Mendenhall Glacier. Although, if you've already seen Hubbard, you can save Mendenhall for another trip. Mt Roberts offers spectacular views if it is not overcast. Lots of nice shops.

Ketchikan, we mostly shopped and walked around downtown, but did take a last minute Duck Boat tour. It was fun. Our guide was wonderful.

Ketchikan brings to mind the fact that coastal Alaska is a rainforest. Ketchikan averages 13 feet (4 meters) of rain per year. Be prepared for rain, but don't let it ruin your day. It comes, and it goes. We never had a washout. It never disrupted an excursion. The sun does indeed shine in Alaska.

The Icy Strait Point of Hoonah, Alaska is another nice stop. Free walking tour of the old cannery was interesting. Nature walk was relaxing. Regretted not trying out the zip line. We didn't take the bus into town, but I'm sure there are shops there. This was a tendered stop for us, but they are building a dock, so that will change soon.

Victoria is a lovely city. We took the bus into downtown, walked around, and did more shopping. Always shopping. Lol

We only saw Vancouver from the ship and bus. Our driver made the ride to the airport enjoyable, pointing out highlights and giving some history and perspective on the city.

Seattle, again we only saw this city from the ship and the bus, but it does look nice.

Anchorage was one of the cleanest cities I've been to. We spent the day before our land tour there. Eat at Humpies. Great fish.

Seward, we spent the afternoon in town at the end of our land tour, before boarding the ship. The Sealife Center was an interesting way to kill a couple of hours, especially for kids.

Whatever itinerary you choose, I've no doubt you'll have a wonderful time.

Edited by hapster85