Summit to Bermuda - low oceanview or balcony?

mprince4

My husband and I are sailing on the Summit to Bermuda in mid-May and are debating between two stateroom options - an oceanview room on deck 3 (by the conference center) or a balcony on deck 6 or 7.

Typically this would be a non-question for me because I love a balcony and I like being relatively equidistant from the top decks and lower decks as we prefer to take the stairs everywhere... but I have not cruised to Bermuda before, and I can see the benefit of having a stateroom closer to the gangway (which I believe is deck 4?) so we can come and go without having a long journey to and from the stateroom if we need to drop things off/grab things, etc. Also, mid-May might not be the most warm weather for balcony-sitting on a cruise to Bermuda. OTOH, I like a balcony on sea days to have some outside time without any crowds, and this cruise has more sea days than some.

For those who have sailed the Summit to Bermuda, what are your thoughts? I appreciate any input!

Completely depends on the cost differential. If close in price take the balcony. If big difference then save the money. Also some are claustrophobic and need a veranda. The ocean looks the same from both cabins and yes, I do like a veranda when in port. but, am usually on shore anyway.

It's about a $500 cost difference which, while not insignificant, is not a huge amount in the overall scheme of the trip. I am not claustrophobic (have cruised in many an inside cabin!) while my husband has done both oceanview and balcony so either is fine for him.

redjetz, can you recall what side of the ship is facing the gangway? Or does it even matter for balcony views?

It's about a $500 cost difference which, while not insignificant, is not a huge amount in the overall scheme of the trip. I am not claustrophobic (have cruised in many an inside cabin!) while my husband has done both oceanview and balcony so either is fine for him.

redjetz, can you recall what side of the ship is facing the gangway? Or does it even matter for balcony views?

It's difficult to predict whether the port or starboard side will face with the dock. The view is fine either way though. If facing the dock, you will see the dockyard with the fort, old jail, shops and transportation. If you are facing the other direction you will have a nice view of some of Bermuda across the sound.

My husband and I are sailing on the Summit to Bermuda in mid-May and are debating between two stateroom options - an oceanview room on deck 3 (by the conference center) or a balcony on deck 6 or 7.

Typically this would be a non-question for me because I love a balcony and I like being relatively equidistant from the top decks and lower decks as we prefer to take the stairs everywhere... but I have not cruised to Bermuda before, and I can see the benefit of having a stateroom closer to the gangway (which I believe is deck 4?) so we can come and go without having a long journey to and from the stateroom if we need to drop things off/grab things, etc. Also, mid-May might not be the most warm weather for balcony-sitting on a cruise to Bermuda. OTOH, I like a balcony on sea days to have some outside time without any crowds, and this cruise has more sea days than some.

For those who have sailed the Summit to Bermuda, what are your thoughts? I appreciate any input!

I have sailed on the Summit in 3112 by the conference center. These cabins are conveniently located and I had convinced myself I'd be OK with an outside cabin. I was not. This was the only time with an outside cabin. I found it frustrating to see outside and not be able to go outside. I've actually had a few inside cabins and enjoyed that more:rolleyes:. For me it will always be either a balcony or an inside if I can't afford the balcony. I know, seems odd but you asked for opinions.

Oh, and yes, the window was huge (but very dirty) and the cabin was very quiet.

In Bayonne, Deck 4 will probably be the point where you embark/disembark from the ship because the terminal is equipped with an elevated gangway. In Bermuda...the gangway will be one of the lower decks because they do not have elevated gangways.

I would look for a stateroom location that suits your onboard activities. We also prefer to use the stairs but coming back from shore... Typically we have walked quite a lot on shore and the distance getting to the ship is a nice walk. So, for us, taking the elevator to our stateroom level is a relief. Once we have dropped off stuff...we go back to using the stairs to access the ships destinations.

We definitely prefer having the option to go out on that balcony and having access to fresh air and natural light. We have been to Bermuda twice and both times the starboard side of the ship was facing the dock...not sure if that was coincidence or not.

I have sailed on the Summit in 3112 by the conference center. These cabins are conveniently located and I had convinced myself I'd be OK with an outside cabin. I was not. This was the only time with an outside cabin. I found it frustrating to see outside and not be able to go outside. I've actually had a few inside cabins and enjoyed that more:rolleyes:. For me it will always be either a balcony or an inside if I can't afford the balcony. I know, seems odd but you asked for opinions.

Oh, and yes, the window was huge (but very dirty) and the cabin was very quiet.

I appreciate your take because I have never cruised in an oceanview room before :eek: - only inside or balcony (about 50/50). I would happily take an inside room for a deep discount, but because we get a lot of value out of the specials and they were only offered at oceanview or up and the balconies were priced a little high, we picked oceanview to begin with. Then the balconies came down in price and I find it hard to resist a balcony... similar to everyone on this thread :cool:

Why not choose a balcony down low? That's what we did and we'll be cruising mid-May to Bermuda too. I think there's a C1 left on Deck 6 OR save a few bucks and go with a Cat. 2C. Go for #6026 in the Sweet 16 set of cabins. It's amazing to see so many of these still available (if you're on the same sailing as us).

BTW - The Aqua Class cabins are $205 per person less than the (supposedly) lower category C1s. :rolleyes:

As others have said, it's unknown which side of the ship will be to the port itself. But regardless, the views are great. Last summer, we got to watch the US America Cup yacht practicing from our balcony (facing away from the dock).

For me, there is just nothing like enjoying my morning coffee on the balcony, seeing the tour boats and jet ski groups moving around, or just enjoying the turquoise water while leaning over the railing. I am out there several times a day, and night, regardless of itinerary or port.

Thanks for the input - we decided my love of balconies and mid-level floors trumped price, so we snapped up 6026 :) Love cruise critic for the great info - I have been on the Millennium - I think in an inside room - and would never have known about the sweet sixteen cabins if I had not read about them here!

Thanks for the input - we decided my love of balconies and mid-level floors trumped price, so we snapped up 6026 :) Love cruise critic for the great info - I have been on the Millennium - I think in an inside room - and would never have known about the sweet sixteen cabins if I had not read about them here!

I think you will use the balcony a lot! Especially since you will in Bermuda for a few days... doesn't matter what side your on!

~Steve

We've been to Bermuda many times. The best times are on the balcony after dinner. You can hear the band at the Frog and Onion. It is very nice to have coffee there in the morning. May weather is warm.

Ironically, we chose an ocean view this May. The price difference was too much.

We may take another cruise this summer. We can use the difference toward the next cruise. You will love the Summit.

Awesome! Glad that cabin worked out for you! :)