OT...Happy Thanksgiving

Danno

I would like to wish all my cruise friends here in Canada, Happy Thanksgiving...it's been a good year for Jill and I...Matthew (our son) graduated college, we found a new passion in sailing, we've booked another cruise, my Mom seems to have beaten cancer again, we have our health and (modest) wealth...

I feel so good, if I was on Horizon, in the America's Cup, I would buy the whole ship a drink!! Even Newt!!

However we have no football :( ...time to go rake leaves.

Danno:

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well...

In this year of natural disasters we have so much to be thankful for....

No hurricanes, mudslides, tsunamis, earthquakes etc.... in Canada this year

When we can add personal goodfortune such as family health and lack of poverty we can say we are truly blessed.

Add to that the upcoming cruises we have planned... WOW what a year

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone also

I'm very thankful that my family is heathy and living a good life.

There is so much bad news these days that I don't even watch the news anymore.

I want to enjoy life to it's fullest and thank "God" that i'm healthey!!!

A Happy Thanksgiving to you Danno and all the other Canadian Cruisers. It drizzled rain here in Windsor Ontario. But we are thankful for everything. We cruised on the Horizon in Feb/05 and will be on the Mercury in Jan/06. Have a great day everyone.

Peace, Anna

Thanksgiving Day Proclaimed as "a day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed," Thanksgiving draws upon 3 traditions: harvest celebrations in European peasant societies for which the symbol was the cornucopia (horn of plenty); formal observances, such as that celebrated by Martin FROBISHER in the eastern Arctic in 1578 - the first North American Thanksgiving; and the Pilgrims' celebration of their first harvest in Massachusetts (1621) involving the uniquely American turkey, squash and pumpkin. The celebration was brought to Nova Scotia in the 1750s and the citizens of Halifax commemorated the end of the SEVEN YEARS' WAR (1763) with a day of Thanksgiving. Loyalists brought the celebration to other parts of the country. In 1879 Parliament declared Nov 6 as a day of Thanksgiving; it was celebrated as a national rather than a religious holiday. Later and earlier dates were observed, the most popular being the third Monday in Oct. After WWI, Thanksgiving and Armistice (later Remembrance) Day were celebrated in the same week. It was not until 31 Jan 1957 that Parliament proclaimed the observance of Thanksgiving on the second Monday in Oct. E.C. DRURY, the former "Farmer-Premier" of Ontario lamented later that "the farmers' own holiday has been stolen by the towns" to give them a long weekend when the weather was better.

Author DAVID MILLS

Archived